Deleting the IAC, what would this effect?

85begalttype

just a v6
i know that the IAC plunger moves back and forth to keep the idle rpms steady to engine load. if i dont use A/C, and unplugged the IAC and just adjusted the idle to 800rpm or so with the throttle blade screw. what are your thoughts on this? is the IAC really necessary? seems to me the idle rpm would stay pretty constant without the troubles of adjusting the iac that is probably manufactured in china now.

Since the IAC is part of the ecm controlled fuel delivery system, I can only see bad things happening if it was disconnected. Check the troubleshooting list at gnttype and vortec for the problems associated with bad IAC functions.

Not a huge issue with out AC, and by manually adjusting the RPM to 800, it shouldn't stall from power sterring input, or heavy alternator instant loads. BUT.......why not leave it functioning?

Not a huge issue with out AC, and by manually adjusting the RPM to 800, it shouldn't stall from power sterring input, or heavy alternator instant loads. BUT.......why not leave it functioning?

in case there are issues with malfunctioning IAC being stuck open too far, etc, instead of keep replacing them with chinese parts, might be easier to eliminate it, and also clean up the throttle body a bit :biggrin:

Ive deleted it on cars running standalones. Cars idle great once you set the fuel curves up right but they can be hard to start when the weather changes and you have to fiddle with the gas when they are warming up. After that, its smooth sailing.

unplugged

I agree with Jay. Mine has been unplugged for years; no codes. I get better low rpm throttle response in daily driving w/o the IAC. Once warmed up, no stalls with a/c also. :smile: