You can type here any text you want

depth of frame notch?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

fullahotair

How deep are you guys doing your frame notch? 1-1.5 inches? I know a lot go to the seam. Does anyone what depth the seam is at?

Thanks nate

Thanks for the reply Berserker... and thanks for the link. I have seen that thread before. What I have found in my looking is that not many people make mention of how deep they the notch, and those who do, usually say to the seam, but i suspect thats only because its an easy reference point. I did find a maliburacing page.( Frame Notching) That made mention of 1" depth, and at the bottom there was a picture of a guy who did 1.5".

In the grand scheme of things, it doesn't matter much as I'll notch to whatever is needed within reason...but i was curious to take a poll of those who did the notch to see how far they went into the frame...

This thread is also linked to my other post in this section, which asks how much space people usually get by with between the tire on the frame, and outer lip...

Thanks,
Nate

You can notch to any point you want, or do anything you want for that matter. It depends on what you want, and what you need for tire/wheel fitment. Each one of these G-bodies is a little different, so I think it's very misleading to say to notch is 'this' much to get 'this' much room. Figure out what you NEED then do it.

I remember a recent thread where the frame notched all the way to the back part of the frame then re enforced from behind with a steel plate. A couple small caps were made to cover the frame holes. I really liked that set up. ;)

I

Thanks for the replies...

SS_Sean - I agree. I'll have to notch to whatever I need it to be get the clearence. I was just curious what others have done, so I could reality check my logic...

I'll be using 1/4" plate as the frame cap and then i'll also be lining the inside of the frame rail where the notch is wtih 1/4" plate as well, in addition to some cross bars in front of and behind the spring perches. Its more than what most people seem to be doing, so hopefully it'll be plenty stout.

Thanks
Nate

Mines going in this week, I'll take some pictures of what I'm doing. I pulled the body off this weekend so it will be easy to see the changes.

IMG_6270.jpg

I went to the seam & wish I would have gone all the way to the inside rail. I believe Louie Lopez did his twice. Go all the way & you will never have to do it again.

Thanks for the replies folks.

Dlafont - thanks for the link. I have seen that thread too...a lot of good info. I have also come across the photos you have posted up of your frame notch. I like how you did the "box" a the rear of the frame and then welded it in.

I suspect I'll be going a deeper than frame rail for my proj.

Thanks,
Nate

Back