Determining size of mystery turbo

Six_Silver

New Member
Joined
Sep 10, 2003
Can someone tell me how to figure out what size a turbo is. I picked one up from a friend and he doesnt know what it is. I tore it down to rebuild it and will still have to measure everything.

Where do I measure? The ID of the housing, or the OD of the wheels?

Also, what is the size of a "big shaft" compared to a stock "small shaft"?


Thanks.
 
Get the ID of the hole in the exhaust housing and the ID of the inlet hole of the compressor housing.
Mkae sure they're real accurate readings.
 
Speaking from experience, send it in and have somebody identify it. After a lot of research amd measuring I thought I had a TE44 on my car and after fighting spoolup issues for a year I finally sent it in. It was a turbo off of a Deisel Tractor!:cool:
 
Originally posted by The Radius Kid
Get the ID of the hole in the exhaust housing and the ID of the inlet hole of the compressor housing.
Mkae sure they're real accurate readings.
Actually, that is incorrect. I called Limit Engineering, and was told to measure the OD of the compressor wheel's INducer, the OD of the compressor wheels EXducer, and the OD of the turbine wheel, all with a set of calipers. Then he told me to call him and give him those specs, and he would be able to tell me what it was.

So now everyone knows how to find out what size turbo they have if they are unsure. :cool:
 
Originally posted by Six_Silver
Actually, that is incorrect. I called Limit Engineering, and was told to measure the OD of the compressor wheel's INducer, the OD of the compressor wheels EXducer, and the OD of the turbine wheel, all with a set of calipers. Then he told me to call him and give him those specs, and he would be able to tell me what it was.

So now everyone knows how to find out what size turbo they have if they are unsure. :cool:

Sure about that?What if you have an odd number of vanes on the exhaust turbine wheel?
I understand about the comp wheel.
Do what you like.
 
Originally posted by The Radius Kid
Sure about that?What if you have an odd number of vanes on the exhaust turbine wheel?
Not really sure. Just going by what I was told.
 
Top