You can type here any text you want

Developing ideas for new rear suspension setup? Chime in.

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

SS_Sean

Pro Bracket
Guys, I'm starting to think about tubbing the 78 'Bu drag car for consistency in bracket racing. I'm getting to the point the 10.5 tire will probably start to go away quickly depending on track conditions. Current best is a 10.49@128, 1.44 60' time. I've built a new bullet which should put me in the 700 hp range. This is a bracket car so think consistency not heads-up. There are differences...

I was thinking about cutting out my frame rails at the rear tires and moving them further inboard, but keeping the frame rail material. I'm talking about giving the frame room to run some 29.5x12.5x15 ET's on a 12 inch rim with 5.5 bs. I would have to narrow the axle tube ends by about 2 inches, with new axles to get the wider wheels to fit. I am thinking a TRZ rear with the ability to adjust upper and lower control arms for perfect IC.

I was thinking about keeping the stock location upper and lower control arms, and switching to a coil-over shock setup. I don't believe the stock location lower arms would interfere with wheel/tire/brakes if I've done my initial measurements right.

The only thing I would have to change on the cage would be my X bar that goes from the main hoop to the spring pockets, as the spring pockets would be completely removed. Other than that I would have to narrow my TRZ ARB.

What do you guys think? Anyone done this? Any suggestions?

I think this would be a lot cooler than just a tub job and big steam rollers, as the factory flooring is retained, and from the exterior the car would appear essentially stock. The only thing visible from the outside of the car would be a mini-tub job if you looked through the windows at the interior rear seat area...

I think you should tweak your suspension setup more there are guys goin a lot faster than 10.50 consistently on a 10.5 tire..heres a link to some cool setups..click on stock suspension pics...Home

I changed springs to a 5in dia spring

along with frame notch, then changed all the control arms, to adj top and bottom, with an anti roll bar, I tubbed the wheel wells, and still was able to install the rear seat, so it looks orig from the out side,also I added spring jack screws, to adj rear weight bias ( like in a nascar)
I have put a 11.5 tire under the fender.
heres some pics.

Attachments

• trunk4.jpg
    trunk4.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 151
  • IMGP0016.jpg
    IMGP0016.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 146
  • IMGP0014.jpg
    IMGP0014.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 153
  • rear susp.jpg
    rear susp.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 144
  • 100_0360.jpg
    100_0360.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 142
I think you should tweak your suspension setup more there are guys goin a lot faster than 10.50 consistently on a 10.5 tire..heres a link to some cool setups..click on stock suspension pics...Home

You're thinking heads up racing, not bracket racing, apparently...

Cruzn57-what tire did you get under the car. w/my frame notch the largest I could fit was the 28x10.5x15 ET's...

here is 28X10.5 pic

but had over 1 in between rim and frame
I have 11.5 mounted on 10 in rim ( I forget backspace) but have similar tire to
wheel well room

Attachments

• 10.5 low.jpg
    10.5 low.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 132
  • MVC-044S.jpg
    MVC-044S.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 129
Back