You can type here any text you want

Did the S10 Wheel Cylinder Swap... the F*n Clip

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

arista5

Sold, and Replaced
Staff member
I pulled the old Wheel cyl's and just couldnt get those clips to go on.

did some searching, whoever found that clip tool http://www.discbrakesrus.com/make/pontiac/retainerremoverlisle18800.jpg THANK YOU!!! i spent the better part of 2 hours under the car and couldnt get that clip in at all, used the clip and did both sides in under 30min and held the cyl in place with my hand (nothing wedged to keep it still)

Not the easiest to find locally but 3 stores and $14 later it was good.

anyway, bleeding them tonight and cant wait to test them out.

I used the tool to do mine about 3 weeks ago. I have to say I never had such a bitch of a time doing brakes in all my life. Instead of the nice old 2 bolt retention of old, GM had the bright idea to use that stupid bowed ring clip. I used the tool to get them off easy enough. The problem I had was getting the clip to seat all the way so the flanges would slip into the grooves in the wheel cylinders. If you use a socket you need a 12 point 29mm to push on the ring, found that out. Next issue I found was there was just enough rust on the backing plates to prevent the wheel cylinder from pushing in far enough for the clip snap into the grooves. I suggest getting a new hardware kit too. It was easier with all new springs and retention pins. I got the Russell speed bleeder screws which stick out alittle farther than the next stupid GM design-shrouded bleeder screw. A vacuum pump and the speed bleeders worked great. Good luck. Once I adjusted the shoes (one side locked up first) and then bedded them, I have had no real issues with larger wheel cylinders and shoes.

You can see they use awls here: AutoZone.com | Vehicle Selection - Year

How did you get the socket in there?? Did you remove the brake hard line from the axle housing?

How did you get the socket in there?? Did you remove the brake hard line from the axle housing?
No, it can just be bent alittle away from the wheel cylinder. There is plenty of room to push the ring on with that socket.

I put my new s-10 cylinders on today in about 5 minutes. I took a spark plug and wedged it between the cylinder and the brake housing.(so it wouldnt push out) I pushed the clip in place and hit one side with a flathead screwdiver and hammer. Once that side was in I did the same for the other side. Maybe I just got lucky.:smile:

You can hold the rear wheels from spinning better while boosting at the line for launch.

Oh ok thanks. Didn't think brake cylinders for those little trucks would be of much benefit, especially since they weigh less than any TR.

They are from the mid 80s manual brake S10s and are slightly larger because of being for a manual brake.

Back