You can type here any text you want

different turbo setup..comments please

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

NCHATCH

hey all im new to this automobile, just bought a 78 turbo regal. i dont like how the turbo setup is and was wondering if anyone could add some info to a different one or comment on how they think mine will work.

-new turbo T3/T4 on passenger side
-run to a front mount intercooler
-up the drivers side, to the carb bonnett
-and of course going to use a edelbrock manifold of some sort
-and to top it of a greddy blow of valve.

this worked wonders on my 98 mustang, with a carbureted 5.0 i put in it. after a month of tuning, it ran beautifully and still does, just wanted to see if anyone has any feed back.

mike amerson

I think it's a great idea.
http://www.flash.net/~rjgeorge/blowthru.htm

But, personally, I don't think it's worthwhile if you already have a working draw-thru set up. The DT can take you pretty far. But on the other hand, you already have experience with the blow-thru.

9 of one, 3/4 dozen of the other. :)

This comes up once and a while and I keep following it to see when it happens. I am collecting the parts to do it myself.

The May issue of "Super Rod" magazine has a write up on a Carb/Turbo/Intercooled small block Ford. They stroked a 302 to 327 with 8.4/1 compression, an Edelbrock air gap Performer intake, 750 Demon carb, good heads and a stout cam was good for 392 HP@6000 and 385 lb-ft@4400 running N/A. With the turbo and intercooler it was good for 761 HP@6000 and 766 lb-ft@4000.

They used the same ignition and carb for both tests. The carb was not recalibrated to run with the turbo.

I believe this is going to be one of the fun future packages. The fuel pressure is boost regulated, just like the SFI cars and the carb can then run cleaner in all ranges. It would do away with the power valve issue.

It will be possible to run much more boost than a draw through system. The intercooler will help that. You can run a full choice of turbos.

Need to tune at the track? Adjust the timing up or down with a good old timing light. Need a bit more fuel? First turn up the pressure at the regulator, just like on an SFI car. Need more fuel yet? Carb jets/needles are a lot quicker and easier to change at the track than fuel injectors.

We could reasonably see Carb/Turbo/Intercooled motors over the 400HP level. That would surprise some owners of newer cars.

So far I have Poston headers for an 86/87. Mease downpipe. Four bbl intake of choice, mine is a Smokey Yunick Wiend air gap. The new Champion/Hartline accessory mount will make it easy on the front for alternator and power steering and leave plenty of space for intercooler tubing. I really don't know yet where I am going with the turbo and intercooler. I want to do it on a Century Turbo Coupe, but the front end is a bit shorter behind the grill and my Ford P/S intercooler may not fit there.

The goal is up and running for the Nationals next year.

David, you're a little ahead of me. I have a Houstan DP, Holley & factory intakes, and a 79/80 DS exhaust manifold & crossover. I need a 86/87 PS exhaust, turbo and a carb & bonnet. I also saw the Champion bracket. :) I fugured I'd hold off on the IC until I needed it.

Unfortunately, at the rate I get work done, it will be a while. :rolleyes:

what is the "champion bracket" first off, and second im glad to see someone else has the same vision as my self.... i would like to use some type of aftermarket header-turbo manifolds, to position my turbo a little bit more forward on the passenger side, to give me some downpipe room. i wanna go with a 3 inch. i figure if i ditch the fan shroud and manula fans for a couple electrics i will have a huge amount of room for intercooler piping. i have a pipe bender so i do most of my own stuff.

if you guys have some of the websites you get your parts from, let me know because im still not too keen on where to get stuff from, im only experienced in hondas and mustangs. but im always open to new HP.

The picture on the top right is the accessory bracket. You can get it through that site. It mounts the alternator and the power steering low on the driver side and clears the space you will need over the valve covers for intercooler tubes.

http://www.hartlineperformance.com/

You shouldn't need any special headers. The stock 86/87 or any replacements should work. Mount the turbo in the 86/87 location and any replacement downpipe will work, including a 3" like a Mease or TH.

It looks like the only parts we will need to source outside our normal vendors may be the carb box from someone like Paxton.

can you use the factory carb bonnett? will it hold boost? i did use a paxton one for the mustang. only cause i couldnt find anything else. what turbo would you recommend instead of mine, if i use the 86/87 manifolds, should i just use 86/87 stock turbo, or an upgraded one.

I'd start with the stock turbo, 'cause you can get them cheap and they will do the job. There are many aftermarket turbos you can use. Going with 86/87 plumbing lets you use a lot of stock and aftermarket things like DP and IC's. Search about the General Tech forum. There's also a vendor list at www.gnttype.org

It would be interesting to see at what pressure the stock carb bonnet/elbow blows up at. :)

For me, picking the carb is what I don't know anything about.

How 'bout this:
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=86446
:eek:

i think the factory carb bonnet should hold a little bit of boost, i think it might support 12psi, i hope. i am deffinetely not going to use the factory accordian hose that came on it though, i have a crimp style pipe bender, even though its not the best, it still works, and i should be able to make most of my own stuff, but i really need to start with an engine rebuild.....

how much does a stock GN turbo go for?

About a $100-$200 is what I usually see.

I think I read in Corky Bell's book that IC's weren't effective until at least 10 psi of boost. I figure I won't add one until I get up to 15psi and had all the bugs worked out first.

i hear ya, i had a bad experience with detonation on my civic at 6 psi, so i dont want to chance it again. i will just spend a couple hundred and just let it ride, but i do need to get mt hands on a GN turbo, so if you know anyone who has one let me know

Back