You can type here any text you want

Do I need to...

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

ski_dwn_it

I have a sorta stupid question, but wiring is my least favorite thing.

I am moving my battery to the rear of the car, and running + cable to the original connectiom location where the battery used to be and connecting the original cable to the new cable coming up from the battery. I will be making a new ground cable and running it to a new location and not forward.

My question is do the wires on the DFI that say battery + and BAttery - need to be connected to the actual battery? I was going to connect the battery +, at the junction of the new to old + cable. And then just ground the battery negative to the frame. Would this be a bad thing to do?

Thanks - DId I mention I HATE wiring... :rolleyes:

Considering how sensitive the gen 7 really is i would not do it. Read this article from innovate turbo and you decide.

grounding article

ski_dwn_it said:
And then just ground the battery negative to the frame. Would this be a bad thing to do?

Yes! Don't do half a job. Repeat after me: the frame is not ground on a G body, the frame is not ground on a G body, the frame ... The body is ground but the frame is not explicitly connected to the body by GM, but only incidentally by things like brake lines that aren't meant to carry current. And, the ground straps from engine to body aren't beefy enough to carry the starter current so you can't just connect your battery negative to the body in the rear, either. Either attach your battery negative to the frame in the rear, and then run a big ground from the engine block to the frame up front, or run a wire from the battery negative directly to the block where the original negative battery cable went, or attach to the body in the rear and run a big ground from engine block to the firewall up front. Personally I think running a wire from battery to block is the best, so you don't have the two extra connections and the worries about cleaning off the paint and rust to get a solid connection on the body or frame.

Thanks guys for the comments. I was on my way out to make the changes and decided to run two seperate lines to the battery up to the original location, where I kept the two +/- connections for the ECM. Should be just like it was before I moved the battery.

I too came to the same conclusions that it would not be worth the trouble that might arise with it not being hooked properly.

I ran 00 welding cable for the line, and added an EXTRA grounding line at the bottom, this would be 3 total grounding straps in total I have now. (1) stock, (2) Walbo kit came with an extra, (3) new one I just added.

Thanks for the input!

Agreed, you are doing yourself a favor by connecting the Gen 7 (or any computer for that matter) to the battery as prescribed.

Isn't it nice to come over here and get advice even though you are just a wannabe heads-up racer and career test and tuner? :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Craig Smith said:
Agreed, you are doing yourself a favor by connecting the Gen 7 (or any computer for that matter) to the battery as prescribed.

Isn't it nice to come over here and get advice even though you are just a wannabe heads-up racer and career test and tuner? :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

You got me there! :D

Gotcha on the wiring - appreciate the input. Say in the future can I hire you to do my wiring? lol. God do I hate it. Mechanical type thing that take nuts and bolts I love; electrical - hate it with a passion.

Got the car all wired up and battery moved to the back, fired right up and everything looked good. Must have gotten lucky. :wink:

SKi, while your on a wiring kick, maybe you should be installing one of the new accel data loggers? Sorry to hijack your thread but I thought you might like this........

datalogger

While your at it order me one also:)

norbs said:
SKi, while your on a wiring kick, maybe you should be installing one of the new accel data loggers? Sorry to hijack your thread but I thought you might like this........

datalogger

While your at it order me one also:)

Nahhhh! I have enough stuff to keep me busy in this thing... :redface:

So does this thing just log more channels? I have seen it in the past just really did not read much about it.

I have not in the past had a problem with the current setup of parameters in logging. At times it would be nice to look at more, but once you get the hang of it, its not that bad.

Thanks

Welll you can figure out your drivetrain slippage with it also.

DataMap software can monitor or record Air/Fuel Ratio, Engine RPM, and Vehicle Speed for DFI or stand-alone applications. Includes digital gauge outputs for remote Air/Fuel Ratio monitoring.
Ø On-board data logger can electronically record multiple files up to 100 samples/second at a flick of a switch without the use of a laptop.
Ø A DFI exclusive ‘Gen 7’ logging feature can electronically record 15 data channels, plus an additional 8 status indicators for a period up to 20 minutes*. ( * - test sample rate= 20 samples/second)

Kinda neat!

Back