Do we own the last true muscle cars?

Are Turbo Buicks the last American Muscle cars?

• No.

Votes: 29 48.3%
  • I'm a Blue Blooded American, Hell Yes!

Votes: 28 46.7%
  • Who cares?<----This option means your on the wrong forums.

Votes: 3 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Does the G8 share the body with any other GM car or come with a different engine option?

Hi Randy,

Both the G8 and the 2010 Camaro are based off the Zeta platform, does that count? Or the G8 is a Chevy Lumina in non-US markets.

The G8 comes in 3 different engine options. Base model is a V6, GT is a 6.0 V8 and the GXP is 6.2 V8, so yes there are different options of engines.

My 2 cents on this subject....

It's a "kinda sorta" toss up for me.

Let's look at what defines "muscle car".....a mid sized full chassis car with the engine of a full size car.

T Types and GN's are without doubt considered "mid sized full chassis cars". However no true muscle car was available with a V6....much less a turbo V6. So essentially our cars have entry level economy engines in them, but with a few shots of adrenaline.

HOWEVER given that the turbo 6 has the capability to produce power equivelant to a V8...sort of makes you wonder.

Corvettes are sports cars. Z28's and Trans AM's are pony cars. So are Mustang GT's. I don't exactly consider them muscle, even though they commonly are mistaken to be true muscle cars, they're not.

So I guess it really depends on who you ask. Some don't consider a GN to me a muscle car due to it only having a V6 on boost, others do.

Yeah but it looks like a reworked grand am.

It's really only because of the grill. Compare side and back ends and you'll see that aren't anything like the Grand Am.

BTW, it's definitely not an American car, so it doesn't qualify in that sense.

I would say yes for sure. Imports are not muscle cars imo. I dont care how old or new they are. BMW, Audi, Porsche, etc.... are exotics or luxury cars but not muscle cars. Even newer vettes are exotics imo.

I pointed out the Vette because it is made in Kentucky, not many performance cars today are made within our borders.

If you think about it,a muscle car just has that intimidation factor that most cars don't have. You know, the yes I own it for a reason...and it's not to save gas.

What about the Dodge Charger, does that qualify? How about guys that run Chinese headers, do their Turbo Regals disqualify :eek:

I understand everyone's answer's, but think about it like this.

How many of the other car's ya'll have mentioned are being restored and have the love, passions, and following that our cars have?

Our car's aren't on just any street corner. And they are collectable, which to me makes it a true muscle car.

How many of the other car's ya'll have mentioned are being restored and have the love, passions, and following that our cars have?

That's a good point. I don't see anyone restoring a new vette 20 years from now.

I'm not sure about that. Those vette owners are so anal about the older cars, once they get beyond reach price wise, I think the following generation will be the next desireable one...

Nevertheless, the TR is still my hands-down favorite.;)

I'm sure this has been asked or even pondered by most of us. Not counting the new GTO, I think our TB's are the last real muscle cars.

From the 80's yeah. Overall a big NO.
Ls1 powered cars smoked ours in performance when they first came out.
Brakes
Handling
Power
Seats
Etc Etc
And now in the 2000nds models even further dwarfs ours.
Now this is off the showroom comparison..JMHO

From the 80's yeah. Overall a big NO.
Ls1 powered cars smoked ours in performance when they first came out.
Brakes
Handling
Power
Seats
Etc Etc
And now in the 2000nds models even further dwarfs ours.
Now this is off the showroom comparison..JMHO

Maybe, but I think the question refers to MUSCLE cars which I associate with 60', 70' and a few 80's cars. Ls1's were a dime a dozen and complete junk IMO. Anything after the 80's does not qualify as a true muscle car any longer. Yea, there are faster and better handling cars but the title "Muscle car" ended with the GN imo. Old school, limited numbers left or ever made, collectables, ect... I don't know many people that would consider an ls1 from the 80's as a collectable car.

If I saw an 80's Ls1 I would not associate that with a true muscle car at all. I think to qualify as a true muscle car there has to be more about a car than brakes, handling, power, etc.... You can make the same argument with a Vette from that era.

94-96 impala SS...03-04 Marauder should get mention in this..

but if ur speaking towards what a muscle car was supposed to be...like someone said...G-bodys were the end of the line.

True good points....
Some say that it has to have a steel dash (or part steel)to be a muscle car if not its not a real one. So that puts them ending in the 70's I disagree though.

My simple definition of a true muscle car is that it must have a chrome/ steel bumper.

New Camaro's and Corvette's are sports cars.

Good one, never thought of that. GN's were the last IMO. Regular car given special paint, badging, interior and of course the powerplant :D just like the 60's and 70's except with 80's engine tech which was way ahead of the game then.

You should have made this a POLL.

I would say NO.

You have MUSTANGS, TRANS AMS, VETTES, CAMAROS, FORD LIGHTING, CHALLENGER, CHRAGER & A whole bunch of Foriegn jobs (sorry I don't follow those).

You might even consider the IMPY SS, the new MONTE SS, The GTP also.