Does Xylene affect tailpipe emissions?

Jeff

'87 GN (for sale)
I'm about to put a couple gallons of Xylene in the old '87 to try to clean the fuel injectors. It failed the emissions test this week, I am wondering if running Xylene would help or hurt emissions (HC, CO2, NOX).
Thanks,
Jeff

TTT

Does anyone have experience or comments on this?
Thanks,
Jeff

i dont think it will. Xylene is one of the ingredients in gasoline. I'm sure someone will chime in on this. You could try lowering your fuel pressure for the test.

I'd like to know if xylene will hurt cat converters.

Run a tank or two of pump gas through the car before heading back to the emissions testing station, xylene will tend to make the car run a bit richer because it takes more "energy" to light it off.

Xylene WILL NOT harm your car's catalytic converter in any way!

Doug C.

so to pass Texas emissions....

Originally posted by turboaddict2
i dont think it will. Xylene is one of the ingredients in gasoline. I'm sure someone will chime in on this. You could try lowering your fuel pressure for the test.

I'd like to know if xylene will hurt cat converters.

So based on that, and what I've read in car magazines, a low octane fuel would be the easiest to light off in combustion. Based on that, I should use low octane gas when trying to pass the emissions test, although high octane is obviously best for performance...
Make sense??
Jeff

Whereabouts in TX?

Tips for passing emissions test in the Houston area at least:

Stock chip if possible, or have an emissions chip burned for cars with big injectors

~38 lbs fuel pressure line off, lower the boost to 10psi to keep things safe!!!

Bottle of Techron additive & a gallon of Xylene 2 tankfulls BEFORE getting the test

NEW spark plugs & make sure the wires are in good shape, actually a general tune-up is a good idea & needed yearly anyways :)

Make sure the engine is nice & warm before going to the emissions station. Take the long route & run the A/C on full blast, the warmer the engine is the cleaner it runs!

I had my car within ~10 counts of passing on the Hydrocarbon specs following these "tips".... with NO catalytic converter on the car, a chip that needed some serious tweaking & only ~15 miles on the newly rebuilt engine!!!

Super unleaded should work just fine, keep in mind that regular unleaded may light off too soon under load (depends on the test they use in your area) which is definately a BAD thing! ie Detonation, increased NOX on the test, etc.....

Doug C.

yep. I'm in Houston...

I just put a gallon of Xylene in the tank, so I'll have to do some driving (with no inspection sticker!) to get through the stuff.
Car is all stock, I think that's the problem, stock injectors with 115K miles on them. May check into some replacement injectors, maybe Conley has some stock or mild used ones, I'm trying not to blow the budget, just want to get it street legal for starters.
Thanks,
Jeff

I just passed the test in FW

New plugs and wires before the nats. New GNX O2 sensor the night before the test. Bottle of RXP. 33# injectors with Conley mini-mag chip. 160* stat, coolant running about 170*. Test was run about 9am. Premium fuel. Oil was changed about a month ago. Fuel pressure set to 42. Factory air can. K&N breathers on the valve covers. I usually run the K&N cone filter so other than that it was tested just as I drive it every day. Readings were as follows:

15 mph test 1506 rpm 25 mph test 1178 rpm

Standard Current reading Standard Current reading
HC 152 133 148 96
CO 86 .20 .94 .30
CO2 14.6 14.8
O2 12.5 4.3
Nox 1146 604 1047 136