driving a GN/T on a 60+ mi rt commute

loki993

how many of you guys drive youre GN/T daily. how many of you use youre GN/T as youre primary mode of transportation. I think driving a GN/T daily is very viable. heres my question though, is it viable to drive one 60+ mile daily round trip?? see ill probably be getting a new job soon, beginning to look now, and most likely I will have to commute. I will be in the market for a car, for a few reasons. what problems would driving a GN/T daily that far each day pose. ive figures that it would probably be around 15k miles a year just driving back and forth. what do you all think?? smart or no?? probably not, but just wanted to hear some opinions.

I used to drive my WE4 that far one way every day. The only problem I had was the gas mileage. I can't seem to keep my right foot under control!! If your car is mechanically sound and you enjoy driving it.....go for it, why not? If you own an ultra low mile purist-style TR, park it and buy something else or you'll kill the resale value. Just my .02. HTH

-Derek

Daily driving is the best way to start becoming frustrated with these cars when everything starts to break.

When I got a normal car (a 98 olds intrigue) my frustration left and love for the Buick returned. Both cars are better off since I have no desire to drive the olds hard and I have no desire to daily drive the Buick, both are spared from pulling the harsh double duty that my T type used to perform.

I daily drove my silver limited for roughly 23K in the last 3 years. I called it my little G.T.O. Gas Tires & Oil Never left me stranded on the side of the highway. Drove it 5 days a week 3 years straight.

The daily drive was 20-21 miles one way, stop and go traffic all the way home for about 45 minutes.

It did start to overheat when i did the front mount intercooler and it was 95° outside, so i had to update it with the F-body radiator and dual fans.

The tranny got real mushy about a month ago ive still yet to fix it, but did just get back from a 45 minute drive in the car.

Once the tranny is fixed, it will be my daily driver again. Last year i got stuck in the snow 3-4 times, yeah that wasnt too much fun:)

If you really like turbo buicks and have the knowledge and spare parts, get one to daily drive. My car averaged 18mpg with a slipping tranny, convertor that never fully engaged, and Eric set the lean cruise for better MPG.

Matter of fact, buddy of mine is buying my WE4 to daily drive, he used to daily drive a T-TOP T-type and misses the instant power that these cars have. Heres his new daily driver

BW

Attachments

• !cid_000a01c7b67d$6728e8d0$2e01a8c0@MCCARTY (Small).jpg
    !cid_000a01c7b67d$6728e8d0$2e01a8c0@MCCARTY (Small).jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 92
Daily Driver

My brother needed a car so I gave him my daily driver/work car an 82 Olds Delta 88. Since then been driving the GN as my DD, we do however have full coverage, hate puttin on the miles but oh well gotta do what ever to keep beans on the table.

I DD drove mine from june 06-present. I always loved it, nothing ever let go. There was no problems, got stranded once because my ECM plug had a short in it, but it was my own fault, i went too far when i was testing to see if it would screw up anymore. Then one time my rubber trans line got a split in it, but that was nothing. Didnt pay for a tow since i have AAA.

I just got a 2000 oldsmobile bravada, and i drive that everyday now. I love it because its luxury, and COLD AC! Which i never had in the T. Then if i want speed, i go drive the T. But ive driven to Oklahoma on two occasions, then raced, and then turned right back around with out any problems at all. I'm more then likey gonna do it this year for the buick vs ford shoot out again.

The only thing that i hated about driving it DD, i'd get many rock chips on it from being behind people on the highway. So thats the only thing my car has negative effect from DD it.

well, I kinda figured the response would be more like youre insane, but ok cool. anyway, no I wouldnt be getting a really low mile car and I really would really care about the mileage, beyond wear and tear, because once I get one I will probably keep it forever. what kind of mileage did you all get when driving. I would be driving mostly highway so I would think 25-30 would be a possibility if I was nice? what about a mileage chip, I think ive seen these, what could I expect with one of those??

well, I kinda figured the response would be more like youre insane, but ok cool. anyway, no I wouldnt be getting a really low mile car and I really would really care about the mileage, beyond wear and tear, because once I get one I will probably keep it forever. what kind of mileage did you all get when driving. I would be driving mostly highway so I would think 25-30 would be a possibility if I was nice? what about a mileage chip, I think ive seen these, what could I expect with one of those??

Well, if you read my post i would answer 3 of those simple questions....

Dont think anything of it, the turbotweak chip with lean cruise and my loose convertor got around 18, could be 25 or more like my TTA.

BW