Drop in radiator advice...

on (say for example) a 85 degree day.... will a stock fan on a alradco radiator be good enough to keep up with a 160 thermostat? (and I'm using a tt chip with fan programmed to come on at 167ish degrees

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

On a 85-95 degree day, normal city or highway driving I still never used my fans. Never needed to. If I sat in traffic for about 10-15+ min, I would climb to about 180-185 then turn my fans on. This was using both coolers in the ALRADCO rad too. Oh, and yes, stock fan.

I used to have a 160 degree T-stat in my car which is a street driven machine.
Mine ran so cool after the installation of the Alradco Radiator, that I had to go back to a 180 degree thermostat!
The Alradco unit ranks right up there with things that give you the "best bang for your buck" on these cars. (y)
You won't regret it.

dave

Mine ran so cool after the installation of the Alradco Radiator, that I had to go back to a 180 degree thermostat!
The Alradco unit ranks right up there with things that give you the "best bang for your buck" on these cars. (y)
You won't regret it.

dave
I had to go 180 in mine as well.:)

On a 85-95 degree day, normal city or highway driving I still never used my fans. Never needed to. If I sat in traffic for about 10-15+ min, I would climb to about 180-185 then turn my fans on. This was using both coolers in the ALRADCO rad too. Oh, and yes, stock fan.

You won't regret it.

dave

I had to go 180 in mine as well.:)

Still makes me laugh every time I read posts like that. Car's running too cool, :D

I rely heavily on this community so the verdict is in. My ALRADCO will be here Monday. I replaced the hoses, put in a 160 thermostat, and put a new belt on while I was in there. I hope I don't have to mess with the thermostat again. It was the first time since the car was built it was out. What a mess! It did relieve a lot of stress from all the hammering, banging, cutting, cussing, etc. Thanks for the info!

The thermostat is easy to replace if you replace the neck with a billet unit and put some silicon grease in the o ring. I leave the hose attached to give some leverage and wiggle it out. I take it out and replace all the hoses every couple of years.

I had to go to 180 with the Alradico. 160 was too cool for street driving on a 100 deg. Day in NC.

Good read! How can I order the ALRADCO radiator? It is a straight drop in? No extra parts needed. I have a stock set up. 180° T-Stat.

ALRADCO.com
Choose with or without coolers. I ran with oil and trans cooler and it was AWESOME! Keep the 180 stat in there. ;)

[QUOTE="Antbankstwo3, post: 3421297, member: 37984" It is a straight drop in? No extra parts needed. I have a stock set up. 180° T-Stat.[/QUOTE]

Drops right in like glove no surprises what so ever , you will be glad you did

[QUOTE="Antbankstwo3, post: 3421297, member: 37984" It is a straight drop in? No extra parts needed. I have a stock set up. 180° T-Stat.

Drops right in like glove no surprises what so ever , you will be glad you did[/QUOTE]
Perfect! I wasn't expecting on doing it so soon. But I better be safe out here since it's heating up. My car got up to 205° at it's hottest when I let it run for a while & drive around town. Mostly stayed under 195°. And the temp outside was already over 100° at 11am. Been around 110° lately.

Last edited:
Drops right in like glove no surprises what so ever , you will be glad you did
Perfect! I wasn't expecting on doing it so soon. But I better be safe out here since it's heating up. My car got up to 205° at it's hottest when I let it run for a while & drive around town. Mostly stayed under 195°[/QUOTE]

I would just about bet you would have temps in the 175 to 180 with the rad and the dual fans setup from alradco , We have hot , hot , humid weather here in the South and that's what mine runs now even with a big huge FM as you can see I am very happy with my results. With the stock set up and fan like I had it was terrible to try to keep it cool below 200 or more at its best on them hot days .

Perfect! I wasn't expecting on doing it so soon. But I better be safe out here since it's heating up. My car got up to 205° at it's hottest when I let it run for a while & drive around town. Mostly stayed under 195°

I would just about bet you would have temps in the 175 to 180 with the rad and the dual fans setup from alradco , We have hot , hot , humid weather here in the South and that's what mine runs now even with a big huge FM as you can see I am very happy with my results. With the stock set up and fan like I had it was terrible to try to keep it cool below 200 or more at its best on them hot days .[/QUOTE]
That'll be nice! Looking on there website now. Jus when I thought I was done. LOL! This car is expensive, but worth it.

Did you just realize that??? They're big money pits, but they have their good points.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app[/QUOTE

Haha! No not even! I have & have had couple others classics as well. So I know how this is tending. However, this is my first GN I'm bringing back to life. Def expensive but it will be all worth it once that get that beast on the streets.

Got the radiator on Monday, I am not easily impressed and opened it up to see how dinged up and how many fins were bent. I pulled it out of the box and was jaw dropping astonished! And that was only how well it was packaged! It was packaged up in a nest of shock resistant foam, all around. I pulled the packaging off and my eyes really widened. This thing is a piece of work and is extremely beefy! I can't wait to get it in. Needless to say, I am very impressed. I think I will stick a 180 Thermostat in it. I did install a billet neck so it should pop right back outI think I will install the alky while I have a bunch of stuff off the car. Should give me more room. Sorry for the big ass pics, I don't know how to fix it. Thaks ALRADCO!

Nick's phone 032.jpg
Nick's phone 033.jpg
Nick's phone 034.jpg
Nick's phone 035.jpg

Last edited:
Got the radiator on Monday, I am not easily impressed and opened it up to see how dinged up and how many fins were bent. I pulled it out of the box and was jaw dropping astonished! And that was only how well it was packaged! It was packaged up in a nest of shock resistant foam, all around. I pulled the packaging off and my eyes really widened. This thing is a piece of work and is extremely beefy! I can't wait to get it in. I think I will install the alky while I have a bunch of stuff off the car. Should give me more room. Sorry for the big ass pics, I don't know how to fix it.

View attachment 227074 View attachment 227075 View attachment 227076 View attachment 227077

Extranjeo - is that with the trans & oil cooler set up? Jus wanna make sure cuz I'm up next to order.