You can type here any text you want

Dual Fan Setup

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

91Bird305

What do you all recommend for a dual fan setup on our thirdgen cars? I was looking at the Flex-A-Lite 220 but I imagine there are others. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. :)

Dual fan setup on our cars.

I would track down the stock fans and run them or equiveant replacements.

Never had an issue with my TTA, my Formula in 350 or 383 configuration or on my GTA.

I'm going to run the stockers when I turbocharge the Formula as well.

If your worried about the high temps all F-bodies see, its due to the stock ecm tune. The fans come on at high temps for emissions reasons basically.

About the only time I would look into seriously upgrading cooling in an original dual fanned f-body would be when stepping up to a BB or any engine having an intercooler in front of the radiator(we hath no ariflow)

later
Jeremy

I am more doing it for my intercooler than my radiator. I don't have an open front fasica on my firebird like the camaros do so the air dam basically has to do all the work for air getting to my radiator and my intercooler (and my trans cooler) and its pretty cramped in there with all that stuff.
pic44se.jpg

And yes, I am fixing up all those cuts and crap on the air dam. :)
So thats why I wanted to give it a little extra boost of air by using a dual fan setup. The radiator is a BeCool.
And I don't have a BB or SB. Its a GN hybrid 91 firebird.

I don't know what type of ground clearance you have but you can weld something like an air dam on the bottom of your intercooler and kind of angle it so air will flow upwards onto the intercooler to start with.

The guys on LS1tech really like the Spals over the flexalites. I would look into the Spals and see if you can find a comparison of them and the flexalites.

72firebird said:
I don't know what type of ground clearance you have but you can weld something like an air dam on the bottom of your intercooler and kind of angle it so air will flow upwards onto the intercooler to start with.

The guys on LS1tech really like the Spals over the flexalites. I would look into the Spals and see if you can find a comparison of them and the flexalites.
Clearance is an issue unforuntly. And I couldn't find that thread you talked about. :shrug:

91Bird305 said:
Clearance is an issue unforuntly. And I couldn't find that thread you talked about. :shrug:

You shouldn't have any problems with clearance with the Spals. Here's the picture I was talking about http://w2wpowertrain.com/images/Du/dw-13.jpg Here's the thread, http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=438426&page=5, a couple people talk about the Spals in that thread but if you do a search on the site you should get a lot of stuff coming up. That car was built by Wheel2Wheel in Michigan which currently has the fastest LSx based car in the world.

A lot cheaper alternative than any of the above would be to run the dual fan stocker on the radiator side.

Than look for late 80 early 90's cads at the junkyard and grab a single or pair of their pusher fans.

They are fairly beefy.

Like I said its a cheaper alternative .

Going by the looks of it, I'm betting you could get one in their, and have a cheap backup as well. Those fans are all over the place out here.

I dont know of any other junkyard pusher fans out there, unless someone else chimes up.

Curiousity question? Did your BeCool actually fit like they said it would or did u end up having to make it fit?(never had one fit any f body yet)

later
Jeremy

4th Gen f-bods w/ v-8's have better dual fans: S curved blades and shrouded, should be plug and play too.

I've been working the same issue. I have the dual Spal fans and the one Modern Musclecar sold. My question is will these fans really move enough air to make a difference when the car is driving at road speed? Obviously it will help cool the I/C at idle, but I recall some physics/math that no fan will move anything close to the amount of air thru the i/c at even 40 mph, never mind higher. Is this true? If so, even a small amount of air from a custom spoiler would exceed what the fans could do.

Opinions? facts?

The ECM turns the fans off at 40 MPH, if the fan was running it would actually slow the flow of air. Thats why a good functioning airdam is critical on all F-bods.

Back