You can type here any text you want

Dump tube worth it?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

BlackMetal

I'm trying to pick between a 3" test pipe, or test pipe with dump tube. It's about $50 dollar difference from the guy who sells them on eBay. Would it be worth the novelty of having an electric cutout on it and being able to make the exhaust sound a little louder and maybe have a bit of performance gain from having the exhaust avoid the mufflers?

Turbo6Chicago said:
I'm trying to pick between a 3" test pipe, or test pipe with dump tube. It's about $50 dollar difference from the guy who sells them on eBay. Would it be worth the novelty of having an electric cutout on it and being able to make the exhaust sound a little louder and maybe have a bit of performance gain from having the exhaust avoid the mufflers?

It depends on your mufflers. If you have straight thru performance mufflers like ultraflows, the cutout won't give a measureable performance difference.

But if you have a crappy muffler like stock or even flowmasters, YOU WILL pick up performance that you can see on a timeslip.

i would put it on,then again i have flowmasters and they are very restricted,i went 12.6 then opened it and went 11.9 and the boost went up 4psi...also like mark said do the cut-out i put one of his on and its great,along with the switch panel...i use it on harley guys,when they go buy me with all that racket reving it up and so on,i hit the electric switch,spool it up and fly by them..trust me it scares the crap out of everyone :biggrin: ...also the younger kids love it too..

Most of us have cutouts in our test pipes. What's a catalitic converter again?? :D Anyway, I have a Hooker dual 2.5" exhaust with Hooker Turbo mufflers. On the dyno, I only got 5hp increase uncorked.

But like others have said, it's worth it just for the fun factor alone.

BuickMike said:
Most of us have cutouts in our test pipes. What's a catalitic converter again?? :D Anyway, I have a Hooker dual 2.5" exhaust with Hooker Turbo mufflers. On the dyno, I only got 5hp increase uncorked.
I am glad to hear that. I too have the hooker system and the two times I opened the dump I lost 1 mph.

For $50 I would still get the dump so you can have that option.

Dont forget, traction becomes more of an issue! An open exhaust will light those tires up even more if your doing that already with a closed exhaust.

Are you refering to the dump tube that goes out the pass fender? If so you will love the difference in power, I know I did :D I gained probably 15-20hp on the dyno with this. I did have the stock DP at the time but a very good dual exhaust w/no cat. Plus it sound mean as HELL too :eek:

Thanks for the replies, I got the dump tube. I also came across the video at buickgn.com where he demonstrates a car revving with it close and then with it open. :eek:

I can't wait to get that thing, even though now I gotta find more money for the eletrcic cutout!

An electric cutout?? Just leave it open all the time :D
I have a dual 2.5" exhaust with straight thru Dynomax muffs and I gained 15 rwhp with it opened.

Back