You can type here any text you want

Duttweiller oil pump question

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Originally posted by summit
Wonder what pump I have? A while back I broke the cam sensor gear with a timing chain issue and had to replace the driven gear in the oil pump. I had to take a high volume big block gear and press it onto a v-6 pump driveshaft. The oil pump I have has the inlet and pressure lines coming out of the side. I have also seen another type of pump where the lines exit the bottom. I remember having three gears laid side by side comparing the heights. A stock V-6, high volume V-6, and the high volume v-8. Each gear was about 1/4 taller than the next. The high volume V-8 shaft was about 2 inches longer than the v-6 ones, therefore we had to swap out the shaft. Any ideas or am I crazy?

Greg Kring

You CAN use a high vol cover with the Dut. pump IF you run the high vol gears for a big block, standard procedure is a stock front cover and Dut. pump with high vol gears for a V6.

Originally posted by Jeff Rand
I had been running the Duttweiler pump in my stage 2 and now in my TA block. With the same setup (1/2" i.d. pipe in the stock 14 bolt pan and a -12 line going to an external screen an then feeding the pump), I am having a problem after the run with the oil pressure going to zero. You can watch it drop from 70 psi as soon as you hit the brakes. .........Jeff

My TA engine has a Dut pump and never have seen this situation?:confused:

The pan has been extended about 1-1/2" and the pick up screen is welded on the inside of the pan close to the bottom. The -12 line runs direct to the pump and have never seen pressure drop after almost 100 runs.:) Normal idle pressure is 40 psi warm.

A dan white pump?

Okay speeking as a hydraulic's technician,
a duttweiler pump creates a substancial amount more flow,
people say high volume gears can support a motor enough flow.

what about if you looked at factors like engine rpm, stress on big end from alky, turbo, blower, high compression.

if a motor was at a higher tolerance than it is certainly going to take lots more pressure to flow at a high rate, so if a bearing has enough oil pressure to support it to run efficiently from evident pressure it is making, then running a high volume pump is for what reason then?
do turbo's demand a high rate of oil?

questions you guys might be able to answer for me:
- if you run a high volume pump,

is a larger amount of oil going over the relief valve?

if its a wet sump, is more oil going to be drawn out of the sump meaning that will have to hold more volume?

i dont know if what i wrote means much but i hope i t gives you something to think about.

hmmmm, what about Dan White's HV oil pump?
:)

Re: A dan white pump?

Originally posted by buickstage II
Okay speeking as a hydraulic's technician,
a duttweiler pump creates a substancial amount more flow,
people say high volume gears can support a motor enough flow.

what about if you looked at factors like engine rpm, stress on big end from alky, turbo, blower, high compression.

if a motor was at a higher tolerance than it is certainly going to take lots more pressure to flow at a high rate, so if a bearing has enough oil pressure to support it to run efficiently from evident pressure it is making, then running a high volume pump is for what reason then?
do turbo's demand a high rate of oil?

questions you guys might be able to answer for me:
- if you run a high volume pump,

is a larger amount of oil going over the relief valve?

if its a wet sump, is more oil going to be drawn out of the sump meaning that will have to hold more volume?

i dont know if what i wrote means much but i hope i t gives you something to think about.

hmmmm, what about Dan White's HV oil pump?
:)

I am not sure I understand your question or statement but the factory type oil pump is a positive displacement pump (which acts absolutely the opposite of a centrifugal pump). As flow increases (greater bearing clearances or thinner oil) the load on the oil pump is less. So from a hydraulic stand point I am sure you understand this ( hydraulic oil pumps are positive displacement, as flow is decreased, an electric motor that would be driving it has an increased load!)
A centrifugal pump will draw less load as flow is decreased ( a restrictor in your coolant system not only "keeps the water in the radiator" longer, it also will take less power to drive the water pump) Probably sounds confusing but no more confusing than your post sounded to me!!!!:D :D :D

Re: re: a Dan White pump??

Originally posted by buickstage II
from what i know, i think dan whites pump is the same specs as a duttweiller?

here's the link to his page http://www.whiteracing.com/
its halfway down on the left.

whats the comparison of these two pumps?
this one says --No 6AN Bypass required--so what does it do with the bypassed oil?

Re: Re: re: a Dan White pump??

Originally posted by LV GN
this one says --No 6AN Bypass required--so what does it do with the bypassed oil?

This pump is more like a hybrid hydraulic pump, the relief is an integeral part of the pump and simply dumps the relief to the inlet side of the pump. leaving you with only an inlet and oulet line.

has anyone got any knowledge on a dan white pump?

cheers Simon

Back