You can type here any text you want

Dyeing headlight bezels

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Coelacanth

I realize repro headlight bezels are available, the price isn't even that bad, but I was wondering if anyone had simply restored their existing bezels by re-dyeing them black again? I've used RIT dye with good success on nylon RC car parts, but I don't think it works so well on ABS plastic. The procedure for nylon is to simply add the RIT dye to boiling water (in a pot you don't ever want to cook with again) and submerge your parts for several minutes--until the desired color depth is reached.

Another possibility could be to spray them with Krylon Fusion for Plastic, which is supposed to bond to any clean plastic or vinyl surface...but not sure how that would hold up to the elements & frequent car washings. I restored many of my '70 Charger's hard plastic & vinyl interior parts & door panels with this stuff, it worked very well for that.

Any suggestions guys? I'll buy the repros if nobody's had success with dyeing their bezels in the past. Thanks!

Just do 4 coats of Plastidip, if done right leaves a nice smooth satin finish which is extremely durable, and it will cost you less than $10 for the can. If you don't like it you can peel it right off.

Just do 4 coats of Plastidip, if done right leaves a nice smooth satin finish which is extremely durable, and it will cost you less than $10 for the can. If you don't like it you can peel it right off.
I actually have black PlastiDip in both spray cans & a liquid can. I never thought of that, I wasn't sure if PlastiDip would be durable enough. Might have to give that a shot! Do you suggest the same might work for the front bumper fillers? The originals are faded but flexible...too flexible?

It will cover the fillers for sure but it wont look like paint, even if you throw a few coats of glossifier on it. But then again if yours are really badly faded it would certainly look better until you can get some Spoolfool fillers.

Thanks Chris! When I get around to doing the bezels, I'll post a thread with the results.

I've used Duplicolor rattle can spray in bed liner on the headlight bezels on an '87 T I had with good results. It coats well and has handled the weather and rocks well too. (I wouldn't recommend it for chrome bezels although it doesn't appear yours are, haha)

It will cover the fillers for sure but it wont look like paint, even if you throw a few coats of glossifier on it.....

If you do the Plastidip on the front bumper fillers please post info ... anything is better than this :

Last edited:
I've Plastidipped the grill and virtually all of the satin black trim on my GN, and other cars' side mirrors, chrome window trim and even the roof of my buddy's white BMW 335. It is VERY durable and wont peel unless you want it to.

They key is to apply a very light 1st coat, then 3-4 additional medium coats waiting at least 10 mins between coats. If you don't wait long enough the ability to peel it off later becomes reduced.

Check out the dipyourcar channel on youtube, they do a lot of really cool projects and have really informative videos.

I'd be interested to see how it looks...any chance you could upload a close-up or two of the PlastiDipped parts? I also want to black-dip some plastic chrome-plated parts on my 2008 Torrent that the plating has flaked off of. Also, did you use the Glossifier on your GN parts?

I've had great luck with SEM Trim Black for the bezels, grill, Engine compartment, and many other semiglass parts. I've tried shooting it out of a gun, and the rattle can and actually prefer the can better, as long as you finish heavy and wet with a newish can. Most auto paint stores carry it. scuff with 400 grit, then clean with a tack cloth. Will look like new for many years.

On the bumper fillers...:rolleyes::D

Mike B.

I rattle canned mine 12 years ago with paint I picked up at Wal*Mart. They're a little spotty now... might be time to touch them up.

I use tire wet on mine every time i wash it after i do the tires i take the applicator and do the front spoiler the bezels and the bumper impact strips

I'm with spool on this one! After doing the cosmetic restoration on both of my gn's, I used trim black on the bezels, and all the other trim. The bezels look perfect, and remain so.

Sent from my QMV7A tablet via Tapatalk.

I get about 5 years out of rattle canning them with proper plastic trim paint, including using plastic primer.

Winters sand, ice, snow, and salt are hard on them.

I used high temp paint on them and my quarter trim. Looks great and cost about 5 bucks.

Posted On my phone while my wife stares at me.

I'm trying to track down SEM products here in Canada. Just like seemingly every other common-in-USA paint product, what you guys see at every store including Walmart in USA, is a righteous PITA to find here up north! :mad: 303 Aerospace protectant, Rustoleum Krystal Klear, you name it...it's a b!tch to find here, and when you do, the price is double or verging on triple what Americans are paying.

I'm trying to track down SEM products here in Canada. Just like seemingly every other common-in-USA paint product, what you guys see at every store including Walmart in USA, is a righteous PITA to find here up north! :mad: 303 Aerospace protectant, Rustoleum Krystal Klear, you name it...it's a b!tch to find here, and when you do, the price is double or verging on triple what Americans are paying.

Yea!
But you guys got the good beer.:p

Maybe we should do some trading...:D

Automotive paint supply stores carry it. Any brand will work, just make sure to get satin black.
20140708_141342.jpg

All black trim here done by Sem Trim black. Mike and I think the same and the results come out excellent.

Bruce '87 Grand National
DSC_0398.JPG
DSC_0401.JPG
CSC_0407.JPG
DSC_0392.JPG

Attachments

• DSC_0394.JPG
    DSC_0394.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 156
Back