You can type here any text you want

Dyeing headlight bezels

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
I just pulled my front bumper to have it powder coated. While it's off I'd like to get the front bumper fillers painted. Other than platidip what have you guys used successfully? My plan is pretty basic; remove, wash, scuff w/ ~ 400 grit, tack clean, prime if needed and paint a few coats. I think the plastidip sounds like a cleaver way to go since it theoretically should be very flexible, however I imagine there's a good paint product out there too. I'm leaning towards plastidi after reading this thread but would like to explore as many options as i can.

They should be shiny to match the car. Body shop painted mine when they painted my car 3 years ago. So far so good. I had my bumpers powder coated too.

Reviving this old topic, but since I started it...I'm allowed. :p

I removed the headlight bezels, disassembled the corner marker lenses, then washed everything thoroughly with hot water & Dawn dish soap, a sponge and toothbrush. I masked off the lenses and gave everything a wipe with mineral spirits, blew off any lint with my air compressor, and gave the parts a few coats of SEM Trim Black. Good as new! :)

Attachments

• HeadlightBezels_Before1.jpg
    HeadlightBezels_Before1.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 146
  • HeadlightBezels_Before2.jpg
    HeadlightBezels_Before2.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 138
  • HeadlightBezels_Done.jpg
    HeadlightBezels_Done.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 184
SEM has a plastic prep that cuts the mold release off of the plastic. I use it, a fine scotchbrite, and the spray bomb......GTG for several yrs. [My cars don't get daily driven, nor parked outside.]

I'm trying to track down SEM products here in Canada. Just like seemingly every other common-in-USA paint product, what you guys see at every store including Walmart in USA, is a righteous PITA to find here up north! :mad: 303 Aerospace protectant, Rustoleum Krystal Klear, you name it...it's a b!tch to find here, and when you do, the price is double or verging on triple what Americans are paying.
I ordered my SEM paint from NAPA Auto Parts. Arrived in a couple of days!

I'm trying to track down SEM products here in Canada. Just like seemingly every other common-in-USA paint product, what you guys see at every store including Walmart in USA, is a righteous PITA to find here up north! :mad: 303 Aerospace protectant, Rustoleum Krystal Klear, you name it...it's a b!tch to find here, and when you do, the price is double or verging on triple what Americans are paying.

I know this is an old post, but I am in Canada too (Ontario) and was able to find SEM paint at Carquest.
http://www.carquest.ca/english1/index.html

DSC01199.JPG
DSC01206.JPG

I've had great luck with SEM Trim Black for the bezels, grill, Engine compartment, and many other semiglass parts. I've tried shooting it out of a gun, and the rattle can and actually prefer the can better, as long as you finish heavy and wet with a newish can. Most auto paint stores carry it. scuff with 400 grit, then clean with a tack cloth. Will look like new for many years.

On the bumper fillers...:rolleyes::D

Mike B.

On the bumper fillers what, Mike? That yours are the best ever in the business? Damn straight they are! There.......I said it for you! And now those rear GN spoilers......jeez, how much better can you get? They are excellent! I can't get over how good work you do , Mike......so glad you are doing this for all of the Turbo Buick guys and gals out there......you are one talented man, Mike.....so just go and have a beer on me....(but AFTER you jump out of the plane!)

That's a shameless plug if I ever saw one!:D Do I win a "Funmeter?"

Oh.....keep up with your amazing work.....they should be in museums!

Bruce '87 Grand National

On the bumper fillers what, Mike? That yours are the best ever in the business? Damn straight they are! There.......I said it for you! And now those rear GN spoilers......jeez, how much better can you get? They are excellent! I can't get over how good work you do , Mike......so glad you are doing this for all of the Turbo Buick guys and gals out there......you are one talented man, Mike.....so just go and have a beer on me....(but AFTER you jump out of the plane!)

That's a shameless plug if I ever saw one!:D Do I win a "Funmeter?"

Oh.....keep up with your amazing work.....they should be in museums!

Bruce '87 Grand National

Bruce,
PM me your address. I'll send you a fun meter, and limited addition "Spoolfool Nut Hugger" T-shirt.:D

Mike B.

Bruce,
PM me your address. I'll send you a fun meter, and limited addition "Spoolfool Nut Hugger" T-shirt.:D

Mike B.

Jeez, Mike...that's awfully nice of you....I was just telling it like it is....I really admire what you've been doing for us guys here........I'd feel a lot better if you'd let me pay for the cost and shipping of the T-Shirt, as that way I don't feel like I'm taking something from you for nothing......

As for my address, I'll PM it to you, HOWEVER, since I'm on AMERICA'S MOST WANTED" every week, don't give it to anyone......as I love being on TV, love the attention, and pride myself in not getting caught for my horrible crime (writing my name in the snow at the White House in yellow.):smug: I was chased away by some woman named Michelle somebody....:eek: I forget......

So, thanks, Mike.....I really like those "fun meters." I hope, somehow, and in some way I can reciprocate for your generosity.......I don't care what Steve W. and Charlie says, I think you're a nice guy.:whistle:

Bruce '87 Grand National

Bruce,
Were all out of Spoolfool T-shirts. However, all's not lost. I found a huge box of "Hillary in 2016" T-shirts.
Don't worry about the money. When I sold your name and address to the telemarketing company, they gave me enough money to cover the fun meters and postage of the T-shirts to ALL of your friends.;)

You're the best.:D

Mike B.

Back