E85 back to 93???

js402

So I recently swapped my car over to e85 from 93. Motors previously gone 9.7 with the previous owner/different turbo. Current setup is a 450 pump, 80s with chip, Teflon lines and a 6766. My questions is I guess, what can I do to get back to the 9 second range with e85 or am I better off just going back to 93 and if so how harmful would it be to my fuel system by switching back??

It won't hurt the fuel system to switch back and forth. In fact, if you're parking the car for more than a few weeks, you'd want to swap out the E85 for gasoline anyway, so it doesn't soak up a bunch of moisture in storage and rot the tank out.

You have enough pump, but probably not enough injector to run e85 at the power levels you're talking about. Unless you're talking 9.7 in the 1/8, in which case you're fine. :-p

Lol even though the closest track is only 1/8 I'm talking 10 to 9s for the quarter. Would the 80s be sufficient for this with 93??

Lol even though the closest track is only 1/8 I'm talking 10 to 9s for the quarter. Would the 80s be sufficient for this with 93??
on gas the 80s are more than enough for 9s volume wise,however there is not enough octane there (93 octane)to support the boost and timing for a 9 sec pass.you will need race gas.80s on e85 has the octane but should be short on volume for 9s.

I'm still working out a few Gremlins with this motor. For some reason I'm pulling an idle BLM of 142 and my iac after wot drops all the way to zero for a minute or so and then picks back up.

It won't hurt the fuel system to switch back and forth. In fact, if you're parking the car for more than a few weeks, you'd want to swap out the E85 for gasoline anyway, so it doesn't soak up a bunch of moisture in storage and rot the tank out.

You have enough pump, but probably not enough injector to run e85 at the power levels you're talking about. Unless you're talking 9.7 in the 1/8, in which case you're fine. :-p

I had a car sit for two years on a full tank of E85. The tank did not rot out and the pumps came on and worked fine for another two years still on e85 (Red Armstrong pumps.)

Do not attempt to run 9 anything on E85 with a 450 pump and 80's. That setup is done at 11.0. if you need faster then go to 160s and a mean set of Reds pumps on a volt booster. Look at the duty cycle, air fuel and Fuel pressure when pushing the limits. Always build more than enough fuel system, a hiccup in a just enough system can cost you the engine.

I have no problem switching fuels. I just upgraded my fuel pump and after years of running e85 or a 50/50 mix of e85/93, the stock tank and stock style rubber lines from autozone look fine. Tune needs adjusting when you switch, of course.

I had a car sit for two years on a full tank of E85. The tank did not rot out and the pumps came on and worked fine for another two years still on e85 (Red Armstrong pumps.)

Do not attempt to run 9 anything on E85 with a 450 pump and 80's. That setup is done at 11.0. if you need faster then go to 160s and a mean set of Reds pumps on a volt booster. Look at the duty cycle, air fuel and Fuel pressure when pushing the limits. Always build more than enough fuel system, a hiccup in a just enough system can cost you the engine.

With the 80lb injectors, yes that setup is done rather quickly.

The best in-tank single pump setup I have come across, and I can show flow charts to prove this, has been a single DW400 fuel pump with a Kenne Bell Boost A Pump running 100%.

The DW400 is such an efficient fuel pump that if you run it with the KB Boost A Pump, it will actually outflow a regular Double Pumper 680lph setup!!

I would skip the volt booster and spend the money on the Boost A Pump. It is a tried-and-true product that has been around for years.

OP- To get back into the 9's with E85, you will need 160lb injectors, and to get a Boost A Pump and run it 100% with that Walbro.

Personally, I would get rid of the Walbro. They are very inefficient pumps. But that's me.

Everything else you have should take you to where you want to be at.

Did see your first post. 160s is what you'll want. It will take you faster than you want I'm sure. 9s no problem

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

The 450 pump and 160s I made 750rwhp . I ran out of pump at that number . Since then I added another 450 . So now I’m running twin 450s with 160lb injectors

The 450 pump and 160s I made 750rwhp . I ran out of pump at that number . Since then I added another 450 . So now I’m running twin 450s with 160lb injectors

Chris, don't forget to mention you had the 450 pump on a Boost A Pump turned all the way up when you made that 750whp.

I sure wouldn't go trying to find the limit of a 450 pump at that power level. Leave the "research" to those who dont mind breaking engines.
If you insist on trying you need to log fuel pressure, duty cycle, air fuel and egt or read plugs.

I sure wouldn't go trying to find the limit of a 450 pump at that power level. Leave the "research" to those who dont mind breaking engines.
If you insist on trying you need to log fuel pressure, duty cycle, air fuel and egt or read plugs.

When Chris, aka DankGn, made that dyno run, he was logging that information.

I *think* he was running a SD chip with a Powerlogger and multiple sensors ran to the PL's analog inputs...I THINK...

I'm just trying to have a reliable car with around 600 horse. That's plenty for me. It's a street driven car

I'm just trying to have a reliable car with around 600 horse. That's plenty for me. It's a street driven car
If u are going to run e85 I would really suggest u go 160s it is always better to have it and not need it then to run lean for that second and pop a head gasket. 80lb injector will not be enough to make the power u are shooting for . Or I should say they can make the power you want but with the injector duty cycle up in the 90-100% which isn’t a good area to run any injectors at .

Ya currently my injectors are about maxxed. If I can find some reasonably priced 160s I think that's the route I'll go. Either that or just go back to 93....93 may be the cheaper route though... If I go with 160s, I'll have to get injectors, ECM, bigger fp...93 I could just swap the chip and go???