E85 wideband readings

Grand_87_national

I lika... do da cha cha.
Hello, all. Just installed my autometer cobalt wideband and made a few pulls. Previous owner did a lot of work to the car, but left the boost level at a safe 17 psi. While cruising at light to no throttle, numbers bounce between 14.5 and 15. Coasting to a stop typically pegs the gauge to 16, but I assume this is fine since there is no throttle input? At wot through a few pulls it was almost always sitting at 10:1, save for one pull in 3rd gear when I did see 10.1:1. From what I've gathered, this is on the rich side even for e85, correct? It is a fresh forged piston engine (broken in) with a 212/212 comp cam, Racetronics pump, trick flow 120lb injectors, rjc fmic, turbonetics 60 series (62-1 compressor and 65mm turbine), internal wastegate and g body parts 3" downpipe with g body parts aluminized exhaust. Am I safe to start turning up the boost, or is there something else I need to be looking at? Like to end up at 22ish if it's safe. Thanks in advance!

Hello, all. Just installed my autometer cobalt wideband and made a few pulls. Previous owner did a lot of work to the car, but left the boost level at a safe 17 psi. While cruising at light to no throttle, numbers bounce between 14.5 and 15. Coasting to a stop typically pegs the gauge to 16, but I assume this is fine since there is no throttle input? At wot through a few pulls it was almost always sitting at 10:1, save for one pull in 3rd gear when I did see 10.1:1. From what I've gathered, this is on the rich side even for e85, correct? It is a fresh forged piston engine (broken in) with a 212/212 comp cam, Racetronics pump, trick flow 120lb injectors, rjc fmic, turbonetics 60 series (62-1 compressor and 65mm turbine), internal wastegate and g body parts 3" downpipe with g body parts aluminized exhaust. Am I safe to start turning up the boost, or is there something else I need to be looking at? Like to end up at 22ish if it's safe. Thanks in advance!

Turn it up !

You are on the gas scale, which is fine. Start turning up the boost, it can handle it. It is rich. Depending on boost level, shoot for 10.8 to 11.2.

Sounds like a plan. I haven't checked injector duty cycle on the scanmaster... probably irrelevant until ot starts to show lean, but I was hoping it would be good for a few more pounds of boost.

You wont run out of injector. What chip?

Here is my chip...
20160520_160516.jpg

Last edited:
You wont run out of injector. What chip?

After seeing that it is setup for 25 lbs of boost, I'm anxious to get it there. Out of curiosity, what kind of power do you think this combo would make at 25 lbs of boost? Is there a general "hp per lbs of boost" ballpark that I can figure? Obviously, every car is different, but it definitely makes me wonder what kind of power I'm making now (at 20 lbs of boost) vs. 25. Thanks for the replies!

Keep turning the boost up until the the afr gets in the 11.0 range. You can add fuel through the chip to run even more boost. The fuel will handle 30+psi. I would pull some timing for higher boost.

Or more. I've seen over 33hp per pound on my car

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Awesome, fellas! Obviously, track numbers are far more important than hp numbers. But, it'll need some drag radials before I do that. Just curious as to what kind of power it might be making. This forum is terrific.... thanks for the input!

Keep turning the boost up until the the afr gets in the 11.0 range. You can add fuel through the chip to run even more boost. The fuel will handle 30+psi. I would pull some timing for higher boost.

I've read that these rotating assemblies are good into the 600's. Now, I know (or, at least I was told) the engine has forged pistons, arp main studs, and arp head studs (those I can see). If I were to let the boost climb to the 30 lb mark, would I run the risk of hurting the internals? I have no idea how much power I'm making now, or how much I would be with another 10 lbs of boost. Thanks again!

Well, the controller is screwed all the way in, and it's just over 20 lbs. Not sure why.... it's a rjc controller (with the thumb screw threaded around the center of the fitting).

Did the boost controller come with extra springs?

It may have, but it was on the car when I bought it.... I don't have any. I did spin the controller back out, and adjust the wastegate rod in about 1/4". So I'm back at about 20lbs, with boost controller set on lowest setting. Should be good to start spinning it in again, I'll probably mess with it more tomorrow.

Did the boost controller come with extra springs?
Let me ask this.... is there a benefit to using the rjc boost controller? Seems like an inconvenience to have to unhook the airlines to make an adjustment. Are there better options, perhaps with stronger springs out there?