You can type here any text you want

Eating fuel pump relays

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

87GNSteve

Just another pretty face....
Car was parked for a week started the car and moved it 20 feet. a week later car would not start. The fuse for the hot wire fuel pump was blown replaced fuses would keep blowing. Swapped out with a good relay on the factory relay side. Car drove 5 miles and then popped a fuse. Keeps popping fuses.
What could cause this?

I would hook up the factory FP wire and see if that fixes it. If so then your hotwire is shorting out somewhere. If not then I would suspect a bad fuel pump or wires in the hanger are shorting out.

I would check for poor connections on the ground wires first . Also if its popping the fuse feeding the heavy 10 ga. wire going to the hotwire relay , check to see if it has worn through and shorting to ground somewhere from alternator to hotwire relay . See if you can find someone with a DC clamp-on amp probe and see how much current you are drawing at idle (12a @ 40psi & 13.5a @ 65psi) on the hotwire feed . If it's high at idle you probably have a bad connection , if it's normal , it is probably shorting out while driving ( hitting bumps) and blowing the fuse .

Last edited:
If the pump is shorting inside the tank will it run at all? Yesterday, In order to move the car from the grass to the driveway I directly hooked it up to a battery in the trunk and ran a jumper to the POS, and Neg to the frame and the pump ran. I moved it to the driveway to jack it up. I got under the car and followed the 10 ga wire I routed it very carefully and nothing is in a pinch point. The HW install is less than year old. I have redundant grounds at the rear right off the FP going to the frame.
Could a bad ECM cause this?

I dropped the tank the and Rick called it-- it was shorting at the hanger. Repaired it and she is good to go.
Oh by the way if you never got gasoline inside your ear canal I highly recommend you AVOID it at all costs.

Back