You can type here any text you want

Egr

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

gunnervirus

My Car's Too Loud...
Does anyone know the size of the orifice washer used under the EGR valve?

Thanks

Ben

Do you mean the gasket? It's still available from Fel-pro.

I just looked at mine (It's off the manifold), and it doesn't seem to have a washer like I am familier with.On the bottom of the EGR valve, it has a cylindrical piece about a half inch long that actually fits into the intake manifold. I could give you the actual measurements from that if it would help. I didn't look too hard, so maybe I'm missing a washer in there.(maybe I don't have the right one)

I have a Dodge motor that uses the little washer. About 10 of them come with a new EGR and you have to know the OEM # to find the correct one. I have not seen a set up like the one on my 3.8.(although my exp. is limited)

EGR VALVE

I replaced the EGR valve on my 78 a couple of months ago with a NIEHOFF # FE-189A. It came with 17 washers!!! The list of egrs did not mention my particular 78 one? I measured the old EGR and came up with these dimensions;

Orifice 10.36 mm
Centre pin 7.70 mm

I calculated the area of the annulus and picked the best washer to give the same area.

The fact that the kit had 17 washers [ only varying by a few thou. ] would seem to indicate that it is fairly critical. What happens when it gets coked up?????

Hope this info.is of help.:D

When I replaced my egr gasket, All I got from the parts shop was the gasket with no washers????? I reinstalled without....I REALLY hope that I do not need to do that again(my fingers still hurt thinking about it). So how important is that washer????

Only the after-market, multi-fit egr valves use these washers. they are pretty critical that you get the right washer in there. the neihoff ones come with a sheet that lists the stock #'s and tells you what washer to put in. if it's not listed it's not the right one. I recently found out exactly how hard it is to get the right egr valve for a carbed turbo. Poston enterprises lists them at about $50.

IMHO, I would try to find a EGR that does not use washers to calibrate the EGR flow. Those EGR caused more HC and NOx problems than you'll want to deal with. The problem is the orafice size and the smog check you'll have to deal with in CA. If the EGR orafice is too large (over active EGR) the flame front in the combustion process may extinguish and cause a HC problem, and if the orafice is too small, you'll likely encounter a NOx problem. From a performance issue, if you use a orafice that is too large (so that the flame front is extinguished) you'll lose the power (partially or all) of one or more cylinders.

well, I did get the one that had the washers. I'll try and match up the right washer with the measurments that peter gave. Since I got the engine with no egr valve (no car either), i don't know the oem# that the instructions said i should check.

thanks,

ben

The egr # on my 78 was 17064680 ,and I have no reason to suspect this was not the original.

Back