You can type here any text you want

Engine breaking up under boost

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

jdhogg1

87 GN hardtop
I was running a stock turbo at 21-24lbs with only very little knock. I just put on a TA-51 with a powerplate and at 20#s the engine seems to be randomly cutting out (like a missfire) above 15#s of boost, the knock is still 0-4 max.

Otherwise the car runs fine. It's a new TT chip (no alky). I ohmed the stock plug wires, all were 9k-12k (manual says under 30k is ok).

The coils are 10k-15kohms.

Any thoughts?

Might start by checking all grounds especially those by rear of passenger head. I'd also look for a loose plug wire boot or loosened spark plug. Do you have a spare ign module/ coil to try out?

I'm running Delco R43TS plugs at .035" gap. I don't have an extra coil pack or module for testing either.

I had the same problem with mine and it turned out to be a bad coil..Drove me nuts.............Good luck

try closing the gap on the plugs to .032 i like ngk ur5's. since you like ac delco get the AC CR42TS for yours.

i run r42ts with .028 gap . with bigger gap you could be blowing out the spark.can't ever go wrong with $12 worth of new plugs especially if you had run race gas on them and they could have lead deposits on them too. i know you say your running alky now but what about before?

Back