You can type here any text you want

Engine build

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

joshwa

Looking to build a new engine for my 87 gn found a block out of a 81 buick regal turbo woundering if this block is the same as the 87 want to build and still be able to drive my car?

It is...

not, but post the block # to recieve some info and advice on the building. Was the donor also a turbo motor? Possibly a 4.1?:confused:

ive been told its more then likely is a 109 block its a turbo 3.8 in 81 it was just called a regal turbo and it was a carb job though i just trying to make sure it would work for sure before i go to get it ill have to see if i can get some numbers off it.

83 and earlier...

were carb'd draw-thru systems. 84 and newer started the FI systems. the earlier blocks will have the 14 bolt pan and the late 85 thru 89 (?) 109's were the 21 bolt pans. Hope this helps.

The early block will work. There are suttle differences, though. Deck highth for one, so differnet push rods will be needed. Cam bearings are different for the non 109 blocks. Check for casting debris. I have an early turbo block that looks like it was cast with a coral reef embedded in the lower portion of the block. (lots of sand slag stuck in the casting.) The 109 is reportedly a stronger block. Not sure how much stronger, though. The head bolts are shorter on the early block, too. As stated earlier, the oil pan is different with only 14 bolts and usually NO sump baffle which NEEDS to be there or it'll kill the enine the first time it makes big power and all the oil sloshes up the back of the block and uncovers the oil pick-up tube. MAke sure you check the b,ocks for cracks and go ahead and build it. Measure everythig carefully. Don;t assume anything is gonna fit. Figure every part is not right and measure and check it six different ways. That way you'll know it is right. RJC make a girdle for the 14 bolt blocks and that might be a good way to go with the early block. Be SURE it is not an odd fire engine, though. ('78 and older)

Back