You can type here any text you want

Engine component powder coating opinions wanted please!

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Toby_Goodmk

Test Fit officianto
I have a hot air car, and a powder coating system, and some time on my hands since I have the engine in the machining stages. I am looking for opinions on the scheme. Attached is a picture of the engine (pre teardown) recently with some color. I am contemplating coating the following components in the colors below. I have lost to engine bays with chrome, so......I could go either way, chrome accents, black accents, silver accents. Please give me an opinion on option 1, or 2. All the red silicone hose is no longer present, as are the silicone adaptors as well. It is all black with the exception of the plug wires.

1. Chrome parts to be powder coated:
Intake
Pulleys
Relay bracket on pass side fender
ac accumulator
Throttle body
AC and Alt bracket
Cruise control bracket

2. Silver parts to be powder coated:
Intake
Ac accumulator
Throttle body
Ac and Alt bracket
***Black parts to be powder coated
Pulleys
Relay bracket on pass fender
Cruise control bracket

** I can coat anything for the most part in any scheme. Your thoughts appreciated!

Here is how the intake presently looks

Attachments

• 20140629_214453_resized - Copy.jpg
    20140629_214453_resized - Copy.jpg
    723.6 KB · Views: 143
  • 20140629_214519_resized.jpg
    20140629_214519_resized.jpg
    871.7 KB · Views: 134
If you chrome your pulleys, do not chrome the surface where the belt rides unless this engine is just be a street cruiser and will not see much RPM.

Rmar, how much power you making and how high do you spin your motor?

I've never really had any problem with powder on pulleys. Even in the groove's.

Depends on the power level and RPM?

Maybe the power and RPM levels of many cars I deal with are above the level of what you are accustomed to working on or repairing?

Things on the engine are different in the range of 6000-9500 RPM!:)

I'm sure most are Nick..but ether OE or aftermarket, 95% of the pulley out there are ether e-coat or powder.
And I'm sure you have seen 800hp cars have issues with it especially in a racecar application.

Before you install the powder coated a/c-- generater brkt grind off the surface where the ground wire ring terminals go for a good ground. John

Back