You can type here any text you want

Engine hard to turn every 120 degrees

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

gunslinger

So here's the deal. Over the winter I pulled my engine to change all the seals, gaskets, timing chain, and detail it all. I put it back in, and noticed that every 120 degrees of rotation, it gets hard to turn by hand. (all the plugs are out) I'm 99% sure the timing chain is installed correctly, but tomorrow I'll be pulling a valve cover to make sure that the valves are closed when #1 hits TDC. Once it gets hard to turn, if I rotate it backwards, I can turn it past the hard spot, and 120 degrees later, it stops turning again.

Since it's every 120 degrees, it's got to be stopping every time a piston hits TDC...or that's my thought anyway. It turns normally with the starter, and compression is the same on all 6 cylinders. The compression is low at 125psi, but I'm thinking that its because none of the lifters have pumped up.

I found all of this out after I tried starting it today. The engine flooded, and wouldn't start.

Has anyone run into this before?

That doesn't sound good. And no, I have never run into this before. How did you install the chain?

Chain was installed straight up.

I'm gonna have to tear it back apart tomorrow. I'm just happy I haven't put coolant in it yet.

Did you put the stock tensioner back on? If you did you need to take it off. Also check your bolt length on the top gear make sure it not rubbing the block.

Shaun

That funny you mention this.........my engine does the same thing with the same timing set. I just wrote it off to the engine being rebuilt. Maybe I should look into that more closely.....

Well....I phuked up.

The timing chain was off...a lot. I reset it, and cranking compression is up to 150, so I think I got lucky and didn't crash any valves. Nothing like having to pull apart a nice clean, painted, sealed up engine.

I've been a mechanic for 22 years, and I've done literally hundreds of much more difficult timing chains in my life, and I choose mine to screw up. :mad:

Oh well....

Back