You can type here any text you want

Engine Management or the Abbacus

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

TTipe

Snake Skinner
I see a number of people running in the 10's with stock shortblocks (no caps/girdle & cast crank) with good fuel capability and engine management systems.I may sound opinionated but a lot of people have major engine breakage trying to tune with the stock computer (abbacus) and what they think is adequate fuel,have major carnage and send the shortblock out for rebuild.I'm ready to go to a Fast or Bs3 which is cheaper than a potential $3500 shortblock rebuild.I'm thinking that running six "one cylinder" engines is far safer than running one six cylinder engine.I race very little but would like to know that I have taken the best path to avoid carnage in the tuning process.Feedback is requested and appreciated.

It's ridiculous to blame a stock ecm for motor damage.

It's lack of knowledge and data that will leave you picking up parts.

9 out of 10 times it's the fuel system that falls short.

Aftermarket Fuel management systems usually come after you have mastered tuning with a stock ecm.

In general if you haven't/can't master the abbacus you are not ready for a Fast/BS3. IMO......

The Abbacus

Gentlemen apparently I have not been clear.I have no issues with tuning the abbacus,but with the fact that the abbacus does not have sequential cylinder to cylinder fuel bias.Don't most individuals that attempt to tap the 10's every now and again (with a cast iron stock short block) use an external engine management system? Yes fuel (and lack of it or lack of understanding what octane is really present)is the major factor of catastrophe.Maybe my question should have been "How many tap the 10's with confidence using a cast iron rotating assembly and caps using the OEM computer (abbacus)??

There are several in the high 9's with the abacus.
If you are just wanting that type of control/functionality, you have already answered your own inquiry.

Gentlemen apparently I have not been clear.I have no issues with tuning the abbacus,but with the fact that the abbacus does not have sequential cylinder to cylinder fuel bias.Don't most individuals that attempt to tap the 10's every now and again (with a cast iron stock short block) use an external engine management system? Yes fuel (and lack of it or lack of understanding what octane is really present)is the major factor of catastrophe.Maybe my question should have been "How many tap the 10's with confidence using a cast iron rotating assembly and caps using the OEM computer (abbacus)??

If your serious about preventing any damage from knock I suggest you get the jssafeguard system. By the time the stock computer reacts it will be too late in most cases.

Oh...so if you have a BS3, DFI, or XFI you won't break anything? Cool! :rolleyes:

Oh...so if you have a BS3, DFI, or XFI you won't break anything? Cool! :rolleyes:

Yes you will break it the same way, because the knock system is too slow to respond. The JS box is very fast to respond, before knock even gets to the GM ESC module, which those ecms you mention use just as the stocker. The box is $545 plus the monitor extra, but its cheaper than changing head gaskets, and hours of labor on your back, legs hunched over the engine compartment screaming in pain. Also you can still go lean on any clyinder if an injector goes bad, un even fuel distrubution etc,

If you want to spend more money you can buy my egt warning system or buy the individual wide band system from AEM. $$$$ So you will be covered by lean out and knock protection

Back