You can type here any text you want

Engine management question

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

larry33kc

Ok I have a BigStuff3 engine management setup on my car right now, and have had so many people tell me I should go back to a stock computer setup using TT SD chip and all the latest logging tools and whatever.

First question,

How hard is it, and how do you take out the BS3 and reinstall the stock set up to work?
What is the list of parts I would need for the FULL conversion with all the goodies?
And how much will all of it cost start to finish?

Thanks Larry

Is your car in the signature the one you have the bs3 on? For that combo, gn1r heads, rollers cam, 76mm turbo, I'd rather have a big stuff 3 all day than any stock computer setup.

Ohh ok not too familiar with them. I just know w the new 2.0 it's so user friendly.

Are you having issues with BS3?

Cost of switching back

ECM $100
Chip $100
Translator and MAF $350

That would get you up and running. Then add scanmaster and powerlogger $500

You can have a G note in it pretty easy.

Rick

Not having the interpolate ability in the SD tables is a pain..

Thanks for the replies.

Yes it's the car in the sig.

Rick, yes I have some issues with tuning it. My knowledge is one and money is the next.
As much as I would love to I can't afford to have Cal or anyone else tune it, plus if it's on the car I want to know how to do it myself.

I'm just frustrated with it. It's hard to get any good help with tuning it or should I say impossible.
I have one guy who I have trusted in helping that's a long way away and I have bugged the crap out of.
I had 83# injector in it and finally got the car running pretty good. But I just changed to 120's and I feel like I'm starting over.
I'm just tired of screwing with it. It would be easier if it was a stock type setup on Eric's SD chip.

I would love to have the FAST set up I love all the features but I'm back to the money issue.

I know I will be able to sell the BS3 but for how much? If I could cover the cost with it I would jump all over a FAST setup.

Thanks for the replies.

Yes it's the car in the sig.

Rick, yes I have some issues with tuning it. My knowledge is one and money is the next.
As much as I would love to I can't afford to have Cal or anyone else tune it, plus if it's on the car I want to know how to do it myself.

I'm just frustrated with it. It's hard to get any good help with tuning it or should I say impossible.
I have one guy who I have trusted in helping that's a long way away and I have bugged the crap out of.
I had 83# injector in it and finally got the car running pretty good. But I just changed to 120's and I feel like I'm starting over.
I'm just tired of screwing with it. It would be easier if it was a stock type setup on Eric's SD chip.

I think you can pay a nominal fee since you didn't buy your BS3 from Cal and then he'll support you with it. Probably give you a start up tune and help you get it sorted out via phone. You don't need to fly him in to get help.

I would love to have the FAST set up I love all the features but I'm back to the money issue.

I know I will be able to sell the BS3 but for how much? If I could cover the cost with it I would jump all over a FAST setup.

It'll take more than you get out of the BS3 to get a FAST setup. Why are you pro FAST but not BS3? You'll have the same issues trying to tune either one.

I'm pro FAST vs BS3 because of lack of support. There is no one, or very few people who will help with it.
Hell I asked I guy one time that had almost an identical setup as mine if he would seen me a tune he had so I could compare to mine to see where I was off on it.
He does, I get a 4 cyl Ford tune then a 6cyl Ford tune then an 8cyl Chevy tune.
Or a good one is when you ask what numbers go in a voltage table for like pulse width when there is several voltages and you get 1 or 2 numbers.

Cal was actually here in town once. And I scrimped , saved, sold stuff, and even cashed in my vacation to get the money for a spot in the tuning session. But as my luck goes he didn't have time for me when he was done with the others and left to go back home.
It's almost like it cursed and doesn't want tuned. It's actually how I got the car. Previous owner did all the work got talked into BS3 instead of FAST, and the place could get it tuned right and said good luck. So he sold it to me.

I did get it sorted out but it took me 3 1/2 years and SEVERAL sets of plugs to get it close. Now I feel like I'm starting over after an injector change. I should have never changed them and stayed with the 83's for awhile and enjoyed the car as it was.

I'm pro FAST vs BS3 because of lack of support. There is no one, or very few people who will help with it.
Hell I asked I guy one time that had almost an identical setup as mine if he would seen me a tune he had so I could compare to mine to see where I was off on it.
Or a good one is when you ask what numbers go in a voltage table for like pulse width when there is several voltages and you get 1 or 2 numbers.

Cal was actually here in town once. And I scrimped , saved, sold stuff, and even cashed in my vacation to get the money for a spot in the tuning session. But as my luck goes he didn't have time for me when he was done with the others and left to go back home.
It's almost like it cursed and doesn't want tuned. It's actually how I got the car. Previous owner did all the work got talked into BS3 instead of FAST, and the place could get it tuned right and said good luck. So he sold it to me.

I did get it sorted out but it took me 3 1/2 years and SEVERAL sets of plugs to get it close. Now I feel like I'm starting over after an injector change. I should have never changed them and stayed with the 83's for awhile and enjoyed the car as it was.

You're very close. See what Cal thinks about helping you with it. Maybe you can sell your BS3 skills later to the locals; sounds like a market opportunity there. Or he can tell you what a conversion to FAST would cost. Either way, you're close, you have good equipment, now talk to Cal so you know your options; good and bad.

I agree, call Cal and he can build you a program and get you very very close for a reasonable price. The BS3 is a very capable system and will be great when you get the tune right. I sent 2 difference guys with forced induction v8's to Cal for a start up program and they were both extremely happy with the results. One guy fought his classic FAST on his drag radial car for months and was ready to get rid of it then called Cal and got a program and he was so happy he bought me dinner for recommending Cal!

I agree, call Cal and he can build you a program and get you very very close for a reasonable price. The BS3 is a very capable system and will be great when you get the tune right. I sent 2 difference guys with forced induction v8's to Cal for a start up program and they were both extremely happy with the results. One guy fought his classic FAST on his drag radial car for months and was ready to get rid of it then called Cal and got a program and he was so happy he bought me dinner for recommending Cal!

There you have it. Try this before you give up on the car. If he gets you a good start up file, you may be surprised at how much you know already and are able to perfect it quickly. And Cal will guide you on the tables that you are unfamiliar with.

There you have it. Try this before you give up on the car. If he gets you a good start up file, you may be surprised at how much you know already and are able to perfect it quickly. And Cal will guide you on the tables that you are unfamiliar with.
I sold my friend my classic fast and Cal sent a file or two. I think it was about $100 for the files (obviously call Cal) and he will help on the phone as well. I nearly went BS3 due to superior capability but a very small (almost non existent user community for Buicks) was the game changer. You have enough investment in your car to stay away from running an abacus.

My personal view on this is that most of the fast, really fast x275, around or sub 5 1/8 mile cars run BS3. It is a very capable system and if you already have an investment it it, i'd recommend putting out a hopefully small amount extra to get a credible tuner to get it to work. You can go with an XFI and that is a viable option (start at $1900) but I would expect that just getting your car tuned with Cal or a good tuner would be cheaper. Plus BS3 does work. Starting greenfield, I'd probably go XFI or even ProEFI depending on your ultimate goals but you have BS3, ti's a very very capable system. Again, I'd take it any day for your combo over any stock style setup no question. Just my $.02.

One other thing -- I think in general, a lot of these EFI question in the Buick world are way over thought. BS3 runs on many of the low 7 second LSX, small block Ford twin turbo cars that win X275, grudge races, Midwest KOTS, etc... XFI powers many of those cars too. Are Buicks different? Yea a little but it's not rocket science, I won't let anyone tell me that a 700 - 800 RWHP Buick V6 can't be tuned while the insane, 170+ HP 1/8 MPH cars can be with BS3. Don't let anyone tell you that.

Ya I've obviously talked to Cal before as stated before when I cashed in my vacation for tuning time.
When that didn't happen, I talked to him about other options, and they cost money I really didn't have. I can get it tuned locally for $550 but it doesn't help me if a problem comes up and I can't figure it out. Then I have to spend more money that I don't have.
I have had the car for almost 5 years now and have hardly put any miles on it because of the tune. Then I got the tune (I think) pretty good where I could drive it and enjoy it. I go and change injectors and it seems like I have to start over.
It would be much easier to just have a stock set up in it with the SD chip.

Back