You can type here any text you want

Engine noise? If I unplug the #1 injector, noise gets worse

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

87 WE2

My engine has a noise and it gets worse when you unplug the #1 injector. Usually with a noise like this, it gets better with a noisy cylinder dead, but mine does the opposite it gets worse.

Just to check I popped the valve cover real quick to check the valves, etc... Everything checked out ok.

Dumped the oil that was in it, 20/50 VR1 it has a silver metal look to it, took the oil filter apart nothing obvious in it.

Right now without getting into it more, it sounds like to me like its the wrist pin.

Oil pressure 60lbs start up, hot 20lbs, cruising 40-50lbs, after cruising hot in drive 10lbs. Climbs 10lbs per 1000rpm as it should.

That's as far as I have got, anyone ever ran into a similar issue?

Anyone can only guess about an internal engine noise. :confused:

You have 2 options, drive it, or find the problem. If it were me, I would pull the pan and check the rod bearings. :eek:

I know that, probably going to pull it and check everything. Its freakin cold right now, gotta get a heater for the garage or wait for a warmer day since I am not in a hurry.

If it makes a double knock noise, I'm betting on a piston pin. Was the silver metallic in the oil magnetic?

Dave

Is the motor a fresh rebuild and always had that noise or did the noise just started? I had a noise in the bottom, and it was rodside clearence, sounds like a solid lift cam.

Its a high mileage used motor, nothing more can really be learned until I take it apart. It was just a stab in the dark to ask.

Its cold here now, no heat in the garage so I am in no rush to fix it. I am going to wait for a warmer weekend and get working on it then.

Good luck, and good looking car.

Thanks for the compliment on the car, thankfully its not the motor in the GN with issues. Motor with the issue is in my wagon.

3828189731_272334dd2d_b.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3704.jpg
    IMG_3704.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 189
What does the plug on that cyl look like?
What is the condition of the injs? Hi mileage too?
A "what if":
Inj is working to partially control fuel flow/timing. Not correct, so there's knok.
Unplugged, it is WFO, and fuel is flooding the cyl..
What happens when you leave the inj plugged in, and unplug the plug wire?

See answers in red

What does the plug on that cyl look like?pulling the plugs today
What is the condition of the injs? Hi mileage too? no they are newer, used 25,000 miles aprox
A "what if":
Inj is working to partially control fuel flow/timing. Not correct, so there's knok.
Unplugged, it is WFO, and fuel is flooding the cyl.. that was my original thought but it seems to be fine, no fuel in the oil either
What happens when you leave the inj plugged in, and unplug the plug wire? same noise as injector unplugged when unplugging the spark plug

Froze our butts off messing with it today, #1 rod knocking at crank, with wrist pin noise also. Pluges were fine. Motor is comming out after I buy a heater or it warms up a bit.

Back