You can type here any text you want

engine rebuild question

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

"More Boost"

Major Member
the stock rods have two dimples on one side of them all, do they face the front of block? or rear? or does it matter. my machinist told me my JE pistons will go in either way (no notch in front, like stock pistons) can some one help. plz:confused:

Two dimples on odd cylinder rods face rear of block and the two dimples on the even cylinder rods face the front of the block. The chamfered corner of the odd cylinder rod cap faces the front of the block and the chamfered corner of the even cylinder rod cap faces the rear of the block

this is something i need to know thanks, but which cly are odd, which are even. The odd would be on driver side right?

I think the odd cylinder is on the drivers side. The way to tell is to remove the front spark plugs and bump the engine until there is enough pressure to push your finger away from the spark plug hole. The cylinder that lines up closest to TDC is the #1 cylinder. Also if you have your engine disassembled, the #1 cylinder is the one which the connecting rod lines up with the very front of the front rod journal. Also, cylinder #1 and #4 are opposing cylinders on the coil pack (firing order), so find the coil pack position and one spark plug wire goes to cylinder #4 and the other to cylinder #1.

Please do not put your finger on the sparkplug hole and crank on the motor. If you catch the "power" stroke and you have a seal between the head and you finger it will get pulled into the threaded portion of the head. This can result in the loss of the end of your finger. I have a friend that is into dirt track and is missing the end of his right index finger from "bumping it up on number one" If you need to pull the plug and the valve cover bring it up on the timing mark and make sure the rockers are both down on the pushrod side. From the story he told me I wouldn't want anybody to ever have to go through that. Jon Hanson

Please do not put your finger on the sparkplug hole and crank on the motor. If you catch the "power" stroke and you have a seal between the head and you finger it will get pulled into the threaded portion of the head. This can result in the loss of the end of your finger. I have a friend that is into dirt track and is missing the end of his right index finger from "bumping it up on number one" If you need to pull the plug and the valve cover bring it up on the timing mark and make sure the rockers are both down on the pushrod side. From the story he told me I wouldn't want anybody to ever have to go through that. Jon Hanson

WOW, good tip!

i'm sorry but i have to comment on this--------i think your friend is pulling your leg a lot harder than his engine pulled on his finger---------seriously--------the most that engine can produce in theory is a perfect vacuum--------that would be only 30lbs per sq in at sea level---------a spark plug hole is much smaller than one sq in------about a third actually--------i just can't believe that something on the order of less than 10 lbs of force could suck a finger into a hole to the point where someone would lose a finger trying to remove it---------sounds to me like he lost in the fan belt or something else and was too embarassed to admit it---------i'm just a skeptic when things don't make sense in the light of basic physics...........RC

i'm sorry but i have to comment on this--------i think your friend is pulling your leg a lot harder than his engine pulled on his finger---------seriously--------the most that engine can produce in theory is a perfect vacuum--------that would be only 30lbs per sq in at sea level---------a spark plug hole is much smaller than one sq in------about a third actually--------i just can't believe that something on the order of less than 10 lbs of force could suck a finger into a hole to the point where someone would lose a finger trying to remove it---------sounds to me like he lost in the fan belt or something else and was too embarassed to admit it---------i'm just a skeptic when things don't make sense in the light of basic physics...........RC

sorry but late at night even simple physics is tough-----a perfect vacuum is about 30 inches------at sea level that would equate to about 15 PSI------a 14 mm spark plug hole is about 1/4 sq inch so the maximum force an engine could exert on a finger over the hole would be about 4 lbs-------the actual corrections make it even harder to believe.............RC

sorry but late at night even simple physics is tough-----a perfect vacuum is about 30 inches------at sea level that would equate to about 15 PSI------a 14 mm spark plug hole is about 1/4 sq inch so the maximum force an engine could exert on a finger over the hole would be about 4 lbs-------the actual corrections make it even harder to believe.............RC

Rich,
I concur. I need to put my thinking cap on and not necesarily belief everything I read on ............. Your statements make lots of sense. :cool:

It is plausible that someone told jhanson1750 this story trying to cover up a dumb mistake, like putting your little finger waaaaay deep into the hole. (Ouch!! :eek: )

Back