You can type here any text you want

Engine

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Frank718

Buick t type
Hello, everyone and Happy New Year, however, I just need opinions on an engine that I have in the garage. Okay, this stock 1987 109 block that I have, has 80'000 miles and a spun bearing. I want to get it fixed, but what should be the proper way to do it, and I want to get more performance. I want to fix it on a budget, but what parts would be helpful. My goal someday will be some where in the 9 s. So, where should I start? I know I have to get a good Engine builder; that should be the first step. Now just help me fill in the blanks. Thanks to all.

Hello, everyone and Happy New Year, however, I just need opinions on an engine that I have in the garage. Okay, this stock 1987 109 block that I have, has 80'000 miles and a spun bearing. I want to get it fixed, but what should be the proper way to do it, and I want to get more performance. I want to fix it on a budget, but what parts would be helpful. My goal someday will be some where in the 9 s. So, where should I start? I know I have to get a good Engine builder; that should be the first step. Now just help me fill in the blanks. Thanks to all.

Budget and 9's are not allowed in the same sentence.
:cool:

Budget and 9's are not allowed in the same sentence.
:cool:
I know things are expensive, but I'm just trying to figure out what to do with this extra block. My car at the moment seems pretty fast, but I want to go faster. I haven’t gone to the track, but I would say it should be some where in the low 12s or high 11s. However, I don’t normally go to the track, but would like to start. The nearest track around where I live is Englishtown, so I’m a little scared of braking down. I see lots of people drive there cars to the track, and it probably more miles then I would have to travel. I going to make an effect this spring, but at the moment, I’m just trying to do something with this 109 block I have sitting.

I know things are expensive, but I'm just trying to figure out what to do with this extra block. My car at the moment seems pretty fast, but I want to go faster. I haven’t gone to the track, but I would say it should be some where in the low 12s or high 11s. However, I don’t normally go to the track, but would like to start. The nearest track around where I live is Englishtown, so I’m a little scared of braking down. I see lots of people drive there cars to the track, and it probably more miles then I would have to travel. I going to make an effect this spring, but at the moment, I’m just trying to do something with this 109 block I have sitting.

Is the engine stock? Any bolt-ons, upgrades?

Is the engine stock? Any bolt-ons, upgrades?

Well the engine in my car now has about 3500 miles on a fresh rebuilt. I think most was stock, but has 210 205 cam. I have the 6152, with 60lb injectors, gen 2, alky, Brian Hofer trans, 3200 3400 convertor and all the other thing necessary. I just got me some drag radials, and will be installing them soon. The engine I have in the garage is stock with a spun bearing; however, I want to utilize it or just save up for a stroke. I’m just trying to see my options.

If on a budget, purchase your parts and labors in stages. Start your spare 109 block (shooting for 9's) off with an engine girdle. Then hit your rotating assembly. From my experience the stock rods are the next weak link in the bottom-end, after the girdle is added. Find some rods & pistons and head back to the engine builder. Performance does cost, and you do get what you pay for. That being said, the rest of the engine is you power and can be built as you see fit. The shortblock in your foundation and strength.
Hope this helps you.

If on a budget, purchase your parts and labors in stages. Start your spare 109 block (shooting for 9's) off with an engine girdle. Then hit your rotating assembly. From my experience the stock rods are the next weak link in the bottom-end, after the girdle is added. Find some rods & pistons and head back to the engine builder. Performance does cost, and you do get what you pay for. That being said, the rest of the engine is you power and can be built as you see fit. The shortblock in your foundation and strength.
Hope this helps you.

John, have you seen many broken stock rods?

Yes. I have seen cranks break, caps break, and rods break or bend or oval the big end. That's why I mentioned they are the next weekest link, after the girdle is added. The rods seem to fail much more than the cranks. Now most of the engine we build are over 500 hp and this is when the OEM components are pushed to their limit. The girdle supports the bottom end and greatly reduces, if not eliminates, flex of the crank. This, so to speak, makes the crank stronger or more durable.

Hope this helps you.

An engine is a machine that produces mechanical force and motion from another form of energy.It is also referred to as a prime mover.An automobile makes use of several motors to start the car and drive the car's various pumps – but the power plant that propels the car is called an engine.:rolleyes:

You're kidding........Right?

You said the "engine" spun a bearing. Main or Rod? If it is a main brg, you are looking at align bore/honing to correct the problem. If it is a rod, you can buy a crank to fix the problem.

I'd tear the engine down and inspect/measure to see what it needs. If you aren't capable/don't have measuring tools, take it to a good machine shop and have them measure and make recommendations. Finding someone you trust to do quality work is half the battle.

Most of the stock components like crank, rods and pistons will work into the low 10's, but things get dicey the more power you make. The stock pistons are strong but very heavy. If you are looking for more than 10's, plan on replacing the entire rotating assembly with high quality components. There are several different thoughts on the need for a girdle. Some use them and some don't.

There are a couple people who can provide good results on Buick engines. Dan at DLS and Bobbie at RPE are two people that come to mind.........

Dave

The bearing spun from the rod. It had shaved the crank about a 1/8 of an inch. Since the engine isn't in uses, I want to put some parts that can handle 9s.On my car now, I have the 6152 and its getting kind of slow, so I want more.

An engine is a machine that produces mechanical force and motion from another form of energy.

So does that mean if I plug my drill up & it makes motion and force from the electric current it has an engine? :biggrin:

Back