Excessive Shifter movement

GNONYX

Hi All,
It's been awhile since I have been on this great site since I was painting our house, and remodeling the kitchen. Now we are waiting for our appliances to come in.
At least now I can continue to work on my TR, but I do have a question for you guys. How to you eliminate the excessive movement on the shifter? Keep in mine the cable is brand new and the video explains my problem.
Thanks for for help and ideas to my situation

Mine does the same thing. Subscribed to see what you find out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Looking at the video again. My guess is the slack is underneath the car in that section between the black rubber accordion looking cover and the bracket to the right of that. Underneath all that rubber, there is probably a cable that has an end that resembles cable ends you see on boats and bikes and although it is probably "attached" and connected to that solid piece on the left you showed that didn't move; it probably can move forward a quarter inch within its connection to that piece. You probably cannot see the movement and slack until you remove or pull back that rubber ridged covering. If this turns out to be true, you could probably add some sort of small washer or spacer to fill the "slop gap."

Just my guess.

Looking at the video again. My guess is the slack is underneath the car in that section between the black rubber accordion looking cover and the bracket to the right of that. Underneath all that rubber, there is probably a cable that has an end that resembles cable ends you see on boats and bikes and although it is probably "attached" and connected to that solid piece on the left you showed that didn't move; it probably can move forward a quarter inch within its connection to that piece. You probably cannot see the movement and slack until you remove or pull back that rubber ridged covering. If this turns out to be true, you could probably add some sort of small washer or spacer to fill the "slop gap."

Just my guess.

The cable is a direct replacement as the original from Highway Star, and underneath by the tranny all is fitted tight. What I don't understand is why is the inner cable itself has the excessive slack connected by the shifter handle. Everything that connects to the shifter and tranny including support brackets, and bolts is all original, so I really don't want to add washers since it didn't came with the car.
Maybe someone else can tune in, and have a solution to this problem.

I believe even Highway Stars had a problem with the correct length of the replacement shifter cable at one time and quit carring them. Reach out to M233roller (Mike Dopkins) as I think he did some research on this issue.

I haven't looked at that connection closely yet but are you telling me that there are no connecting or other pieces underneath all of that rubber covering that looks like an accordion and covered in black covering to the immediate right of the accordion. If not, why would it be covered in anything other than the black cable shielding. The connecting ends you grabbed in the video should be solid. It's what under that black rubber that might be the key. Have you ever moved that black accordion to the side to see what's underneath it?

Just trying to help...

I believe even Highway Stars had a problem with the correct length of the replacement shifter cable at one time and quit carring them. Reach out to M233roller (Mike Dopkins) as I think he did some research on this issue.
Now that really suck since I got this spare cable 3 years ago and now that I replaced it I now have another issue being with the excessive cable slack.
I did checked on Kirban site and they do have this replacement, so now I have to make another purchase and hope his cable fits correctly.
http://www.kirbanperformance.com/product/43908/REPRODUCTION+TRANSMISSION+SHIFT+CABLE+#7368.html

I haven't looked at that connection closely yet but are you telling me that there are no connecting or other pieces underneath all of that rubber covering that looks like an accordion and covered in black covering to the immediate right of the accordion. If not, why would it be covered in anything other than the black cable shielding. The connecting ends you grabbed in the video should be solid. It's what under that black rubber that might be the key. Have you ever moved that black accordion to the side to see what's underneath it?

Just trying to help...
Trust me, I do appreciate your help
Underneath the black covering there is nothing, it's just a weather covering since that cable is connected to the tranny linkage.
If you read what Gary Durden pointed out to me about Highway Star might of had an issue with their Transmission Shift Control Cable.
I purchased this spare cable 3 years ago and it might have be included it those bad cables Highway Star inventory.
In two weeks I'll get Kirban Transmission Shift Cable and see if that will fit my problem. I will post again and let you know the outcome, Thanks again for your help.

Last edited: