You can type here any text you want

exhaust guides cut flush in exhaust port

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

oddiesGN

I took my stock heads down to the machine shop today to get some head work done to them. He wants to cut down the valve guides some to run roller cam, but then he wants to cut the exhaust valve guides in the exhaust port flush for better flow. I don't know how much sticks out in the exhaust port (looks to be alot), but by cutting that all out so its flush is there enough of the guide left for the valve? I always thought that you had to have so much valve guide, too short of one is bad. Don't know how to explain it maybe its alright, just need to know if others have done this and have you had any problems.

He wants to port the heads, fill in the heat risers, plain head, put in stainless exhaust valves, make clearance for roller rockers, replace intake vavle to 1.77, clean up bowls and ports, do a 3 angle valve job and even flow bench them for me for $600. Is that normal price people pay? Should I keep intake the same, but go bigger on exhaust instead? I'm to go back next week to discuss what we are doing for sure, he didn't have time to look at the heads in detail. He does seem to know what he's talking about when it comes to the buick V6, but just want to make sure first. He was actually doing that same thing to another set of buick V6 heads for a twin turbo car.

Thanks, Otes

Cutting the guides down flush, + reducing the top end for springs, etc, will seriously reduce stem support.

My heads are done like this no real big issues, you will end up tearing the motor up some other way before you need to worry about this. Ive done 134.5 mph on irons with cut guides down in the exh, so the flow is good.!

Cutting the guides down flush, + reducing the top end for springs, etc, will seriously reduce stem support.

Thats what I thought. I think he says it will still have over 2" for support. He has done these to a few buick heads before and they went on GNs. Like I said, the guy sounds like he knows what he is doing. I have talked to three others that had work from him before and all are very happy, none of them were buick engines, but none the less they were happy.

So do I go with bigger intake or exhaust valves? Don't think I can have both done, not enough room. And should I be worried about the shorter guides?

Thanks, Otes.

Yep champion grinds em out and so do most good head porters when I looked at Gene's gn1s they were removed from the cast and bronze guides were installed.

I believe a good valve job and clean up the bumps in the ports is all you need.You don't have enough bolt on parts to go 125mph, might need to install Pon GTA exhaust valves if you use seals. Stock head have gone fast and roller cams have a lot of lift ,Id want the support if I'm driving it on the street.If a roll bar and suspension modes are in your future then know is the time,Over and over they keep asking us what is are GOALS.

Stock head have gone fast and roller cams have a lot of lift ,Id want the support if I'm driving it on the street.

Has anyone had there heads ported and the guide in the exhaust port cut down smooth making there exhaust guide shorter and running a roller cam? If so what if any problems have you had? I would think that there wouldn't be enough support and the valvle would start working its way crooked in the guide egging it out after time. I will be running a roller cam. Is there much to gain by cutting out the guide anyways? How much more flow can you get? Will having more flow help me build power with less boost?

Thanks, Otes.

you will end up tearing the motor up some other way before you need to worry about this.

Likely so... That's the reason the guy that invented the engine hoist, invented the v-sicks Puick....He wasn't selling enough hoists.

JB,I have been looking at alot of heads lately,as i will be in the market soon,...those shown in the link you supplied, get a WOW! from me...outstanding! I will be looking you up in the future.

Yep champion grinds em out and so do most good head porters when I looked at Gene's gn1s they were removed from the cast and bronze guides were installed.

Thats how my heads are.....I bought them about 9 years ago from a guy that ended up selling off his car before he built it. I bought complete champion ported heads right fresh with ne ss valves for $800 I ran a hydrolic flat tappet for years and now a roller.....I have not had one problem out of them and have not come close to out growing them.

Thats what I thought. I think he says it will still have over 2" for support. He has done these to a few buick heads before and they went on GNs. Like I said, the guy sounds like he knows what he is doing. I have talked to three others that had work from him before and all are very happy, none of them were buick engines, but none the less they were happy.

So do I go with bigger intake or exhaust valves? Don't think I can have both done, not enough room. And should I be worried about the shorter guides?

Thanks, Otes.

I have been porting Buick heads for over 20 yrs. and always remove the exhaust guide and cut the top for more retainer to guide clearance and cut them for positive seals. Most valve companies only offer 1.77" intake and 1.50" exhaust valves. If you want to pay for custom valves I would suggest 1.74" intake and 1.55" exhaust valves so you can get a good seat cut on both intake and exhaust. But not really needed. $600 is a great deal. Sounds like he knows what he is talking about. A simple bowl blend and port match is actually about 85% of porting gains. The rest of the work is very time consuming for little gain. But all of us porters do it because every cfm number makes you king.;)

Where is this shop? Will send heads tomorrow for that price :D.

Zack

I have been porting Buick heads for over 20 yrs. and always remove the exhaust guide and cut the top for more retainer to guide clearance and cut them for positive seals. Most valve companies only offer 1.77" intake and 1.50" exhaust valves. If you want to pay for custom valves I would suggest 1.74" intake and 1.55" exhaust valves so you can get a good seat cut on both intake and exhaust. But not really needed. $600 is a great deal. Sounds like he knows what he is talking about. A simple bowl blend and port match is actually about 85% of porting gains. The rest of the work is very time consuming for little gain. But all of us porters do it because every cfm number makes you king.;)

I'm going to see the guy tomorrow since I have the day off. Is there anything that I need to ask him to make sure he is using the right parts or maybe suggest to him?

Thanks, Otes

Where is this shop? Will send heads tomorrow for that price :D.

Zack

Its in Lincoln Nebraska. I can send you his number and address if you like. Only problem is I won't get them back till end of March or in April, he's got alot of stuff going on.

Otes.

Whats the cost on stainless valves $200?

I'm not for sure, thought he said about $20 per valve, just the exhaust ones. I also swear he said something like doing sbc valve and cutting them shorter because they are cheaper. But I think he said thats what the other guy wanted him to do to his heads, maybe wanted more stem since he was running a .600 plus lift twin turbo engine. Don't quote me he was rattling off so many things I may have misunderstood him. Since I get the day off tomorrow I'm stoping by to get a better understanding on whats going on. Does anyone have any suggestion that I should make to him like the best type of seals or anything. Don't know why I sound worry, I think that he's the right guy.

Otes

i always thought that removing the guide in the exhaust port would make a longer heat exchange path causing the exhaust valve to over heat easier, also placing more emphasis on the "already wide" valve seat to remove heat. this is why ive never done this to any of my heads

Back