Exhaust leak or lifter noise

excobraguy

Is there an easy way to tell the difference between an exhaust leak with the "tick tick tick tick tick" noise versus a lifter "tick tick tick tick" noise? I have one coming from the passenger side and not sure if it is a lifter noise or an exhaust leak. I've looked over the exhaust gaskets and cant find any blackened areas for a leak. Is it possible the wastegate could be leaking out the noise? Sorry if my questions seem dumb, new to the turbo buicks! The noise comes on louder with more throttle, don't hear it so much at idle.....

Thanks, Dean

One very common problem on all turbo buicks is the drivers side header will crack. Usually the pass. side doensn't crack. Now if it is a factory engine and never been apart there will not be any gaskets between the header and the head. It could also be the crossover pipe leaking too. My car the crossover pipe was leaking a little and I was getting the ticking sound your decribing. It could also be a leak from the header to the turbo also.

As far as the lifters go Is the oil press. good?? One other possibility is maybe a wiped cam lobe could cause the ticking or the wrong lifter preload. One other thing if the camshaft was replaced with a performance cam sometimes you will get some ticking from the lifters at a lower rpm and usually goes away once you rev it up. My car chatters at idle like a solid lifter cam and then theres other cars that are as quiet as the stocker.

HTH

One very common problem on all turbo buicks is the drivers side header will crack. Usually the pass. side doensn't crack. Now if it is a factory engine and never been apart there will not be any gaskets between the header and the head. It could also be the crossover pipe leaking too. My car the crossover pipe was leaking a little and I was getting the ticking sound your decribing. It could also be a leak from the header to the turbo also.

As far as the lifters go Is the oil press. good?? One other possibility is maybe a wiped cam lobe could cause the ticking or the wrong lifter preload. One other thing if the camshaft was replaced with a performance cam sometimes you will get some ticking from the lifters at a lower rpm and usually goes away once you rev it up. My car chatters at idle like a solid lifter cam and then theres other cars that are as quiet as the stocker.

HTH

The car is Mark87GN's car he sold. It has a Grooms level 3 engine with a lunati cam. I think it has around 5-6 k miles on it. Oil pressure is good 17-22 lbs at idle and 45-50 cruising at 3k rpms.......the noise does not go away with increased rpm's, it actually gets worse, that's why I'm thinking it is an exhaust leak. I plan on pulling the valve covers though to check the preload. It's just one of those annoying noises that makes your engine sound like crap! It runs fine though.........

Dean

take 3 ft of garden hose and put one end in your ear and take the other over every inch of your motor. headers espeacilly i found two leaks in 5min:)

I just got back inside after being under the car. Low and behold I have a missing exhaust manifold bolt! It's the very last one inline closest to the firewall........My mystery is solved! Now, the new question is what size bolt threads are these? It's a bolt that appears to just be standalone, meaning no heat shields are anything else are bolted to it. Does anyone know what size bolt will work here? Hopefully it's only missing because it came loose and not because of stripped threads in the head......again, does anyone know the size that will fit here?

OK, upon further inspection and after putting in a new bolt.....I find that the header is cracked on the driver's side. It has 2 cracks. 1 between the first and second exhaust port and 1 between the 2nd and 3rd exhaust port. Due I just need to retorque the bolts? Will this hurt anything leaving it like it is? I don't see how it could other than the exhaust is probably loose now and it needs tightened. Opinions anyone?

I would take the DS header off and get it fixed. Its made from a cheap grade of stainless steel. Whenever you have any exhaust leaks before the O2 sensor it could make the car run crappy. Other than making an annoying ticking sound. I would take the time to remove and fix it right. I know its kind of a PITA.

HTH

You were right my friend. The driver side header is cracked in 2 places. I put in the missing bolt and it got a little quieter. Can I just retorque the bolts and it be ok with it cracked????

I wanted to add. The header is not cracked in the tube part, it's cracked in the flat part that goes against the head for support.

I bet if you pull the driver side header off to better inspect it you would find a crack between the header tubes. Fortunately the driver side is easy to pull, 1/2 hour jobs. Get it welded, makes a big diff.