You can type here any text you want

Exhaust Pipe Expander/stretcher??????

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Yedi

ya, the Monte over there.
Lookin for a nice exhaust pipe expander to help me w/ installing new muflers. I've seen/used the $20 ones that you rent From auto Zone, they only fix dented pipes, I need somthing that truely expands the pipe enough to slip it over itself. Let me know what you guys have found that works. THANKS!

only one i have seen that properly works is one that you can find in any muffler shop...
i would bring in your mufflers to them and they can expand it probably for 5-10$... it only takes but a second

i am unaware of any expander that you could use at home but there might be somethin....

that would be fine to just have the mufflers expanded but I need the pipes expanded that are already on the car, I like doing everything my self, as my car hardly ever see's anyone else work on it, let alone drive it. thanks for the thought though..

"Perfect for straightening out-of-round pipe and muffler ends allowing for ease of exhaust assembly"

Those don't do much for enlarging pipes to slip fit one over another. I am interested in one as well if anyone has had any good experience. :confused:

yup, thats what I was talking about, they dont do anything for expanding pipes, even w/ a impact on it.

Someone here has to have some experience w/ somthing?

I found this Tool from Lisle, http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LISL...11108QQitemZ4601226486QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW supposed to stretch pipes to fit inside eachother, but it's like $90, I would like to hear from someone thats used it to verify that it actually works and isnt just a more over priced version of the previous posted link.

thanks guys........

Not unless you've going to invest in the hydraulics that the muffler shops have. It's takes a bit of juice to stretch steel. I suppose if you bought a hydraulic hand pump, and the stretcher that they use at the shops,they'd work together. ttp://www.snapon.com/International/6pdffiles/cg5560hy.pdf#search='hydraulic%20exhaust%20expander' Try this :biggrin: !

rodman99999 thats what I'm talking about. We used one at school just like that but it had the Air over hydraulic pump, works great. I just wonder why I cant find anything like that anywhere else. If it says Snap On it's gonna be crazy priced. There has got to be the same tool made by someone else.

Like what was said by squid4life, I bought one of those tools thinking it would expand the pipes simply by using the tool and an impact gun, not, it's good for rounding up the pipes thats about it, as far as expanding it take it to a muffler shop better off.

I bought one of those tools thinking it would expand a pipe to fit inside of another one, similar to the one you have posted, and using an impact gun, didn't do nothing for me but round the pipe up, not expand it, very little if anything, I ended up going to a muffler shop and had them expand my pipe. Good for rounding up IMP not for expanding pipes to a larger size. HTH

turbojd, It has a totally different design than those $20 ones that say for removing crimps, I mean if this is like what you have used and it didnt work, I'll take your word for it. I just really need a way to do this myself at home w/out spending $1,000 to $4,000 on a hydraulic expander.

yedi, I just checked the model # on the box of the expander I used from JC Whitney it is #ZX124211N your right it says for rounding up the pipe on it, so I don't know if the other stretcher will work or not you had posted. Good Luck!

Pipe expander

I ran a Midas Shop for 15 years, I have seen every new expander that is non-hydr. not a one worked correctly!! They will ethier split the pipe or not make a dent in it. Best bet, take off the pipes, and the muffs, and take it to a muff. shop. Hell some guys won't even charge ya. Or drive it down there, throw the guy a 20 and I'd bet he'd do it all for ya. Just my $.02.

That's exactly the point- Without a hydraulic unit, forget about it! Harbor Freight will probably have a Chinese piece that MAY work once(if your lucky), like anything else made over there(junk). I second the mufflershop plan, even though I'm a die-hard DIY type too. :biggrin:

Evaddave 87gn I get what your saying, your the type of guy I was looking to hear from. thanks.

Update to Expander

Evaddave 87gn said:
I ran a Midas Shop for 15 years, I have seen every new expander that is non-hydr. not a one worked correctly!! They will ethier split the pipe or not make a dent in it. Best bet, take off the pipes, and the muffs, and take it to a muff. shop. Hell some guys won't even charge ya. Or drive it down there, throw the guy a 20 and I'd bet he'd do it all for ya. Just my $.02.

Well I received my Expander today The Lisle 34400. IT WORKS! I thought I might have to heat up the pipe, but no need to, it expanded the pipe after a few seconds. I took two 2" pieces of tail pipe and expanded one, and the other fit right inside of it it perfectly. This tool works off your impact gun, it has a ball bearing setup in the collar, very nicely built all for $79.00 shipped. Apparently Evaddave 87gn didnt try this one. (no offense man) For the do it yourselfer this is the tool. I did a ton of researching for this and almost everyone told me there is no such tool, well I'm the type of guy that has to see it to believe it, hope this can help out some other guys.

if you want those expanders to last you have to grease the heck out of the tool and the pipe , also if its old pipe that hs been in use once the pipe has been though a couple of heat cycles forget about it expanding , new pipe spreads much easier .
would have been easier just cut the pipes to fit , no slip , and pick up some straight stanless band clamps , much easier

Back