You can type here any text you want

Failed CT emissions

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

fc227

1986 Grand National
Greetings all,

I went and had the car retested after finally get the tranny back in my car (long story, different post, Stay tuned).

I ran Mike Pitt’s 42# emission chip and she failed, Fuel pressure set to 38#, 3 gallons of 87 octane and two bottle of dry gas. It failed the CO part. Max allowable .42,it was .71

Any ideas? I did get the car registered because it has to be tested before that, So…

See attached report:

Attachments

• 11-14-06.JPG
    11-14-06.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 165
I just might wait until the registration comes due again and have it tested just before I send in for renewal.

I'm guessing an air leak or not so great a chip.

Did you have a good cat. on it?

How old is the O2 sensor. Since NOx is near the failing point, when you finally get the CO to fall, the NOx will probably fail. If the O2 cannot respond quick enough, then it cannot control the fuel mixture. If the O2 is okay, and the tune is decent, then like Salvage suggest, look to the cat.

And also does the chip have the code for, and the car have the mechanical stuff still on it for the EGR to function properly?

That also would be helpful information to diagose the problem(s).

Is the retest free? If so how many times can you retest?

I don't understand why you'd run cheap gas for the test.

I've seen where some people say to turn down the fuel pressure until it starts to cut out, then add a few pounds back in. Just for the test of course.

I may still have a low mile stock size cat ready to go, let me know if you're intersted & I'll check.

Mine passed with an Extender chip (no EGR code), 50 pounders, no charcoal, & a fresh Magnaflow 3" cat.

Good luck!

New O2 sensor. Mike Pitt's Emissions chip. Fuel pressure @ 38#. Gutted cat. Engine temp was up to 200° F. It as to be the lack of the Cat.

It goes again when re-registering come up again.

Plus the tranny was shifting late.

Personally I'd never expect to pass emissions without a catalytic converter on the car. But then again there's most likely a few exceptions out there.

Those numbers are good for no cat. If your BLM is at 128 during the test and the engine is up to temp then you arent going to get much less. A cat will work fine. If you want i will let you borrow my cat, downpipe, exhaust elbow and donut gasket for your test. Just return it when your done. I just used it and went right through with my highly modded GN and it was very clean. Then it was immediately removed from the car:tongue: .This is the community cat, come and get it, pass, and return it for the next user :biggrin: I have a solution if your worried about your NOX and the chip is not using the EGR.

Back