You can type here any text you want

FAST SPOOLING---How?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

jdpolzin

Hey Guys, just a quick question. Our cars are completely different from V8's because our power is not as quickly responsive. I am planning to build more of a touring car built for handling and road use, without much drag racing in mind. I would like to be able to have quick responsive power and still have the power at higher MPH's. What is the best set-up cam, turbo, rear gears, etc? Thanks ----Jeremy

get a v8

:biggrin: twin small turbos, full roller valvetrain. Destroke it maybe. Less torque more horsepower. JMO

more compression

less boost/smallish turbo

mild cam

you are asking kind of a general question

Both replies had some good general info. If you were to combine them, it would be even better. Build a 4.1, and run it with twin turbos. For the same flow, two small turbos will spool faster than one big one. ESP has twin turbo set-ups, so it wouldn't be completely "from scratch", although it would be pretty high $$$. The stock turbo will spool quicker with a different boost control, too. Cheapest is the one with a "Grainger valve", and the electronic boost controls give more options. Running a little higher compression, and limiting the boost, would make the engine more responsive, but cost some peak power.

I built a 4.1 with just a little over 8.5 compression and it's a night and day difference over the 3.8. The TA66 spools so good, I lowered the stall from 3,600 down to 3,000 and it still spools great.

Head work

Wouldn't extensive headwork especially on the exhaust side help with quicker spooling? Porting the Headers couldn't hurt either. Get the air in and get it out as quick!

Thank you for your replies guys!! I know that it is a pretty general question!! I suppose where the question originated is that I was talking to a co-worker/ fellow car-guy who is in to Big Block Fords. I was explaining how it would be difficult to have a GN that is very responsive at the push of the gas because of the need to build boost prior to launches. I plan on building my next car as a streetable car and not for the strip. Of course, by saying that, I still feel it is important to be able to pull as low of E.T.'s as possible. What is involved in changing from a 3.8 to a 4.1 block? I know it doesn't just bolt up without some changes. I really don't have the funds to build a twin turbo set-up so I'd like to stick with a single turbo. What wou;d a good cam, rear gear, turbo set-up be? I have a Greddy Profec B Spec II boost controller that I will be able to use on the next car. Thanks for the help. I really would like to learn a little more and this helps me better understand turbo cars since I have always been a SBC guy untill I bought my first GN. So far this is my second GN but I have plans to purchase another in a couple weeks or so! Thanks again ----Jeremy

Do a little search on the 4.1, there's a complete recipe for a low budget build up. Starts with a 4.1 block, which comes out of some other Buicks, and maybe a Caddy, not sure, but the recipe gives part numbers and descriptions. The 4.1 has the good crank, but you will need pistons that are up to the job- the recipe will tell you where to get them. Check with Weber racing for a good turbo cam. They are here:Weber Racing Other Buick vendors have good ones, too, like Jack Cotton. Gearing depends on transmission choice and tire size, among things, so that one is tough to pick. The 3.42 works great with the stock tire size, and the GN transmission, so that's a starting point.

Hey Jeremy, what's going on man, I am a little confused. I thought you were making you car back to all stock setup? If you want to experience instant spool up and no lag, get a good 32-3500 stall converter and a TE44 or something that is better than a stock turbo or even the new GT series Turbos that replaced the 44's and the 49's. I have a buddy with a 44 turbo, Tplus,72/lbs injectors, V2 FM. The car also has a full race tranny with Precision Industries lock up 3200 stall converter. Talk about instant spool up. One day we were trying to set the Alky come on point around 13psi, man, I couldn’t even blink my eye, the boost shoots up to 20-22 in a heart beat from a dead stop. I was very impressed. The major problem with is that; you need a good pair of gym shoes on the car, more like the Mickey Drag radials or something. If not you will just sit there and fry your tires from a dead stop without even power braking. All you have to do is stab the gas pedal.

HTH
Prasad :D

Prasad, whats happenin man!!! Yeah, my car that I have now is going back to stock!! I will be using that for a show car and something that I can be picky with! I am planning on buying another one in the next couple of weeks. That way, I can finally have my PLAY car. I just didn't feel right making this 39K mile car into a PLAY car. I want to pretty much go all out on this one. I plan on having a new paint job, roll cage, suspension, and of course a nicly powered drivetrain. This car that I plan on buying does have a cam, not sure what the specs on it are. Just trying to get a couple of ideas. It seems most guys build their cars for the 1/4 mile, which is cool too, but I would like to have an all around car for the streets. I am in the process of buying a set of new drag radials just to help out with the future plans! How does your buddies car do in the 1/4 mile with it having such fast spooling capablities? Thanks

His car only ran 12.60@ 108 mph, The motor is untouched,full street trim with 2.1 sixty foot. Pump gas, alky and Good year Eagle radials.

I see you got the bug now, pretty soon you will be looking for your third one :D :D

HTH
Prasad

Don't tempt me!!!!!!! Hey at least Ashley will be able to drive one to the meet this year!!!!!

jdpolzin said:
Prasad, whats happenin man!!! Yeah, my car that I have now is going back to stock!! I will be using that for a show car and something that I can be picky with! I am planning on buying another one in the next couple of weeks. That way, I can finally have my PLAY car. I just didn't feel right making this 39K mile car into a PLAY car. I want to pretty much go all out on this one. I plan on having a new paint job, roll cage, suspension, and of course a nicly powered drivetrain. This car that I plan on buying does have a cam, not sure what the specs on it are. Just trying to get a couple of ideas. It seems most guys build their cars for the 1/4 mile, which is cool too, but I would like to have an all around car for the streets. I am in the process of buying a set of new drag radials just to help out with the future plans! How does your buddies car do in the 1/4 mile with it having such fast spooling capablities? Thanks

Jeremy, don't be SCARED. ;)

jdpolzin said:
Don't tempt me!!!!!!! Hey at least Ashley will be able to drive one to the meet this year!!!!!

Awesome, hey if you ever set the date for this years meet, let me know asap, this way the guys can keep that day open. I will try to get cars in the double digits this year to come down.

Prasad

NOTAVG6 how's it going man??? Still got that nice car of yours??? You should come over to the meet this year too!! Prasad, as many people as possible!! Maybe in a few years, we'll have so many people that I'll have to have the food Catered in!! Yeah, I want to wait it out for a little while so I can find out what the show schedules are. Last Year was perfect! Great weather, great park, great food, and 2 great car shows!! I am defiantely looking forward to it again!

Prasad, by the way, you don't happen to have any lower mileage posi 8.5's around do ya?

jdpolzin said:
NOTAVG6 how's it going man??? Still got that nice car of yours??? You should come over to the meet this year too!! Prasad, as many people as possible!! Maybe in a few years, we'll have so many people that I'll have to have the food Catered in!! Yeah, I want to wait it out for a little while so I can find out what the show schedules are. Last Year was perfect! Great weather, great park, great food, and 2 great car shows!! I am defiantely looking forward to it again!

Prasad, by the way, you don't happen to have any lower mileage posi 8.5's around do ya?

Yeah, I"ll still have it, Jdpolzin. Let me know, I know Prasad and a few of his buds.

smaller ball bearing turbo, aftermarket boost controller, roller cam setup, 9 inch converter, steeper gears like 3.73's, etc.. piece of cake using what you have.

Lightning fast spoolup.

Back