Fastest times with lockup TC

No it's not normal to restall them. If you put the new Vigilante in and don't like the stall, then you send it back in for an adjustment. The Vigilante's that I have restalled were older units that are typically to loose for the owners taste. I change the pump and stator to configure it as if it was one of my own lockup's. The lock ups are all GM245 cores so parts are easily interchanged.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

The 0's aren't typically to loose but that also depends on the owners preference. What's loose to some are just right for others.

I switched from lock upafter a lot of problems sending same converter back .... looking for good #'s stock bottom end now

way back when I ran a TE-60 stock long block art carr 3200 it was a beast 1/8 then fell on its face
got a 1.55 on bfg DR's before mt made dr's

The 0's aren't typically to loose but that also depends on the owners preference. What's loose to some are just right for others.

I know from many of your past posts that you are aware of the unique problems that our little,high powered,low winding engines present to the torque converter manufacturer. I also know from your past posts that you are aware of the poor coupling of these Vigilantes. You typically mention these facts during a sales pitch and you are correct. I have a 0 pump vig and know that it slips more and more when I throw more and more power into it. I've also read posts of yours saying this same thing. Because of this,I'm very surprised at your statement here.

I know from many of your past posts that you are aware of the unique problems that our little,high powered,low winding engines present to the torque converter manufacturer. I also know from your past posts that you are aware of the poor coupling of these Vigilantes. You typically mention these facts during a sales pitch and you are correct. I have a 0 pump vig and know that it slips more and more when I throw more and more power into it. I've also read posts of yours saying this same thing. Because of this,I'm very surprised at your statement here.

I am talking about driving characteristics, not WOT slip. Without data from a run, combo details or et performance (none of which has been provided) you can't say if one is to loose or not. The "0" pump was the most common pump and drove pretty well, most owners would agree with that. Yet you will have some who feel the 0 is to loose and wanted something tighter.

Yes, I was really just curious to see how far people are pushing the LU converters. If I had the money I would buy a 9.5 NLU but I've surpassed the budget and bought cam/heads recently. This is great info and interesting to hear!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ttype6....I'll try to catch you up with what's going on in this thread.

Posted below is the OP's post which was answered on the 1st page. 9 teens is the fastest anyone has been with a lock-up. Pass was made by a 0 pump Vig 5 disc, locked at WOT. The correct info was also posted stating the 0 pump is really a 2800-3000 stall, slip isn't excessive until you cross into the 10's. You can still run 10's with 10+% slip but pushing closer to the mid 10's you will see a nice gain by cutting the slip in half. Running mid 10's and faster with a 0 pump is much easier if you have a multi-disc which can be locked at WOT.

Interested to hear from those running a lockup TC. I used the search function, but came up empty handed on an actual thread. We know what the 9.5 PTC N/L can do, but what are u guys doing with the lockup at the track.

what converter?
what size turbo?
any other info....

Real numbers/data. No i thinks or my car should's....

I was responding to the post below. The answer was no, it's not normal to buy a new converter and then send it to someone else to modify it. If he bought a new converter and wasn't happy with the stall, he could send it back and have it fixed.

If sending to someone for further modifications is the only option its does not seem like the correct route. is this the general consensus that it 'needs' to be modded. i mean i cant imagine ordering one of these from full throttle for over 1000 bucks and have to send it out to someone else for further mods to adequately work???? whats Dave doing to it?

To further answer your question Ttype6........The Vig's that are being restalled are older units where the owner isn't happy with the stall whether it be up top or down low. Typically if the converter is a 5 disc Vig, it's being locked at WOT so if it's to loose then the concern is it's to loose for driveability, in which case is rare for the 0 pump.

People will not get the answer and all the info they need from any thread. There's simply to many variables for a cut and dry answer when it comes to converters. That's why the only way to get the advice your looking for is to call or communicate with someone who understands various combo's and how they work with different converters. HP, shift rpm, weight, gearing, turbo size, tire size all will effect how a converter works. Each owner has something they are looking for which may be different than the next guy. This is more info than can be covered in a thread.

Yes, I was really just curious to see how far people are pushing the LU converters. If I had the money I would buy a 9.5 NLU but I've surpassed the budget and bought cam/heads recently. This is great info and interesting to hear!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A better way to ask the question may have been:

How far are guys pushing the LU converters without locking them at WOT?

Any of the lock-ups will have good slip numbers in the 11's and slower so it's safe to assume your looking at running well into the 10's or faster. The LU's that can be locked at WOT in that et range are more expensive than the 9.5 NLU so again I have to assume your looking for the single disc converters which have ran without locking at WOT. 10.30's is as fast as any Buick has gone with my single disc unlocked. Turbo was a 6466.

Ttype6....I'll try to catch you up with what's going on in this thread.

Posted below is the OP's post which was answered on the 1st page. 9 teens is the fastest anyone has been with a lock-up. Pass was made by a 0 pump Vig 5 disc, locked at WOT. The correct info was also posted stating the 0 pump is really a 2800-3000 stall, slip isn't excessive until you cross into the 10's. You can still run 10's with 10+% slip but pushing closer to the mid 10's you will see a nice gain by cutting the slip in half. Running mid 10's and faster with a 0 pump is much easier if you have a multi-disc which can be locked at WOT.

I was responding to the post below. The answer was no, it's not normal to buy a new converter and then send it to someone else to modify it. If he bought a new converter and wasn't happy with the stall, he could send it back and have it fixed.

To further answer your question Ttype6........The Vig's that are being restalled are older units where the owner isn't happy with the stall whether it be up top or down low. Typically if the converter is a 5 disc Vig, it's being locked at WOT so if it's to loose then the concern is it's to loose for driveability, in which case is rare for the 0 pump.

People will not get the answer and all the info they need from any thread. There's simply to many variables for a cut and dry answer when it comes to converters. That's why the only way to get the advice your looking for is to call or communicate with someone who understands various combo's and how they work with different converters. HP, shift rpm, weight, gearing, turbo size, tire size all will effect how a converter works. Each owner has something they are looking for which may be different than the next guy. This is more info than can be covered in a thread.
Thanks for restating what has been said,adding other stuff that wasn't,and correcting the OP.

No one in this thread advised anyone to purchase a new Vig and send it out for more work.

The way your statement can be taken was that the 5 disc MUST be modified. By his response he was asking if it's normal to purchase a 5 disc Vig, then send it to Husek. I was simply clarifying what you said.

Whether you use your 5 disk or your friend uses it,you or he will need to have Dave modify it.

Here is a lock up v6 mustang that uses a ptc lock up converter. This car revs out to 6500rpm. Oh and it's not the fastest in the world lol.

http://www.racingjunk.com/Pro-Stree...g-Turbo-.html?imageIndex=5&showSuperSize=true

LOL. If yours is faster, is yours a 04 Model? He might have to add the color to his worlds fastest title.

There are much faster cars using single disc lock-ups including 8 second LS builds but I try to just keep it Buick as these cars have their own specific needs. The LS cars for example can use the 258 and 265mm converters. They have more torque and can spool a tighter converter which allows them to run faster with less slip.

LOL. If yours is faster, is yours a 04 Model? He might have to add the color to his worlds fastest title.

There are much faster cars using single disc lock-ups including 8 second LS builds but I try to just keep it Buick as these cars have their own specific needs. The LS cars for example can use the 258 and 265mm converters. They have more torque and can spool a tighter converter which allows them to run faster with less slip.
I guess if you read that as fastest 04' he probably is the fastest. Mine is an 03 but I haven't run bottom 6's yet. I just linked that to show what a little rpm can do. I know the majority of Buick on this board don't rpm the engine very high but some do have the parts in place to spin the engine a little higher. The difference on my edge converter at 5400 rpm slips 1400rpm and at 6100 rpm slip is 700rpm.

Great tech btw Dusty.

I guess if you read that as fastest 04' he probably is the fastest. Mine is an 03 but I haven't run bottom 6's yet. I just linked that to show what a little rpm can do. I know the majority of Buick on this board don't rpm the engine very high but some do have the parts in place to spin the engine a little higher. The difference on my edge converter at 5400 rpm slips 1400rpm and at 6100 rpm slip is 700rpm.

Great tech btw Dusty.

Yes rpm makes a nice difference in what a converter is capable of.

Ahhhhh the LU vs NLU annual winter thread.:nailbiting: PTS 9/11 LU .. 9.93 @ 138+ in street trim (3660# car). 67 Turbo. This converter has a LOT of miles on it. Hopefully be trying Dustys converter this summer.

I too put a 9/11 pts lu unit into the 9's 9.96 @ 133mph 67 billet turbo ..the car weighs 3675 .... this was unlocked