Fastest times with lockup TC

TurboDetroit

Interested to hear from those running a lockup TC. I used the search function, but came up empty handed on an actual thread. We know what the 9.5 PTC N/L can do, but what are u guys doing with the lockup at the track.

what converter?
what size turbo?
any other info....

Real numbers/data. No i thinks or my car should's....

at high hp you wont be locking the PTC , the clutch just isnt built for it
vigilante has multple clutch disc and can handle more hp locked up , also required a modification to the transmission pump for proper operation
cant speeak for how efficient either of those are unlocked , but usually a converter designed for lockup isnt as efficieent unlocked as a similar sized non lock
my ptc 9.5 NL is just over 5% slip at 750hp

A 0 pump which is about a 2800 to 3000 stall will slip over 10% at a high 10 sec level. Low 10s into the 9s lock up is like another gear.

Sent from my SCH-I200 using TurboBuick Mobile mobile app

How does the vigilante lockup compare to the PTC 10" LU? Anybody?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Both are built using a 245mm GM core. I use a little different pump/stator combination to try and maintain some efficiency yet still spool as fast as possible. The vigilante comes in billet versions of either single or multi-disc. The multi disc is needed for locking at WOT. The PTC is built in standard cover single disc, billet cover single disc or billet cover triple disc. Neither standard cover or billet cover single disc are built to handle WOT lock-up which is why I build them as a standard cover. It saves money when there is no benefit.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Both are built using a 245mm GM core. I use a little different pump/stator combination to try and maintain some efficiency yet still spool as fast as possible. The vigilante comes in billet versions of either single or multi-disc. The multi disc is needed for locking at WOT. The PTC is built in standard cover single disc, billet cover single disc or billet cover triple disc. Neither standard cover or billet cover single disc are built to handle WOT lock-up which is why I build them as a standard cover. It saves money when there is no benefit.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

would it be worth it to have a 10" PTC converted to non LU? ive heard of it being done before. Assuming the car only comes out on weekends/couple track days. Looking for mid to high 10's, i know the 9.5NL is optimal and ill be upgrading down the line. Im getting a new trans and i dont know if i should get it setup for the LU i have or NLU....

The 10" NLU is no more than a lock-up converter minus the clutch system. It will be a little lighter than the LU but the efficiency and performance is the same as the lock-up running unlocked. If you don't plan to use lock-up you can go ahead and configure your trans for the NLU and have the 10" converted. Then when your ready to upgrade to the 9.5, the trans won't need to be changed. I do have cars in the 10.30-10.50 range with the 10" converters. They would be 2-3 tenths faster with the 9.5. For 10.50's the 9.5 is the better choice.

The 10" NLU is no more than a lock-up converter minus the clutch system. It will be a little lighter than the LU but the efficiency and performance is the same as the lock-up running unlocked. If you don't plan to use lock-up you can go ahead and configure your trans for the NLU and have the 10" converted. Then when your ready to upgrade to the 9.5, the trans won't need to be changed. I do have cars in the 10.30-10.50 range with the 10" converters. They would be 2-3 tenths faster with the 9.5. For 10.50's the 9.5 is the better choice.

Exactly the answer I was looking for, thank you. I think I'll be converting to Non LU then. Thanks again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dusty...a question about the guys running 10.3 to 10.5 with your 10 inch NL convertor. Were those convertors off the shelf...or did you tweak them slightly for the guys?

Dusty...a question about the guys running 10.3 to 10.5 with your 10 inch NL convertor. Were those convertors off the shelf...or did you tweak them slightly for the guys?

They use the same parts as all other 10" They are referred to as "off the shelf" because of what goes inside them. I do have my own stall configuration but as for the stator, it's a OEM style cast aluminum piece rather than the hand made steel stator of the 9.5". They will have considerably more slip than a 9.5 at that level. A 10.3 car could even be a 9.99 car with the 9.5 which is why I suggest the 9.5 for cars that quick. Sure you can run 10.50's with a GM245mm core converter, but the 9.5 will be even faster.

They use the same parts as all other 10" They are referred to as "off the shelf" because of what goes inside them. I do have my own stall configuration but as for the stator, it's a OEM style cast aluminum piece rather than the hand made steel stator of the 9.5". They will have considerably more slip than a 9.5 at that level. A 10.3 car could even be a 9.99 car with the 9.5 which is why I suggest the 9.5 for cars that quick. Sure you can run 10.50's with a GM245mm core converter, but the 9.5 will be even faster.

Would this still be true if I were revving the engine out to 6600rpm? Just curious. I know the buick has a low rpm power band that needs to couple earlier.

Not many guys running Dave Husek's convertors, I would look into his. I have used his 10in lock up and it is a nice convertor. Dave has top notch customer service as well.

Would this still be true if I were revving the engine out to 6600rpm? Just curious. I know the buick has a low rpm power band that needs to couple earlier.

Extra rpm will help the slip %. Tightening the converter will also help slip % if you can spool the turbo with the tighter converter.

I have LS1 cars well into the low 9's, some lighter cars in the high 8's with the 10" converter. The difference is the extra rpm capability of the LS engine. They are very popular with the junkyard LS guys who are running mid to low 9's with stock LS engines with a turbo kit. That crowd like to see who can run the fastest with the least amount of money.

11.34 @ 120mph, te44, 5 disc vig locked after the 3rd gear shift., 27" tire, all the boost. Hundreds of hits at this power level on this tc and locking it.