Feedback on Planned First Set of Mods

jdclark28

Everyone-

I'm about done restoring my 87 Turbo T. Its essentially stock right now, exhaust and k&n air filter. I've had the car mechanically gone through and everything is set, but wanting to do a first set of mild performance upgrades.

I was thinking Scanmaster, Hot Wired Fuel Pump, and the TurboTweak Chip & 60lb injector combo.

Any feedback on this first wave or thoughts on additional, relatively mild mods? This car is purely for fun and has undergone a pretty substantial body/wheels-tires/interior refresh, not a daily driver.

Thanks in advance!

Justin

Yep that sounds like a good first step list. Beyond that, an alky kit, turbo, downpipe, transmission.......it never ends! lol

Thanks for the response. Do you feel I need a different fuel pressure regulator at this point too?

I would get the AFPR. Some upgrades are so normal to see already we forget to mention them. Some valvesprings and making sure the plastic timing gear has been replaced would be good also.

Thanks again for the help. I ended up going a bit beyond my original plan.

Walbro FP, Hotwire Kit, TT Chip, 60lb injectors, Accufab AFPR, and ScanMaster.

The engine was replaced with a factory short block about 14 years ago and only has about 10K miles on it since then - so much of the foundational stuff was handled then - timing gear/chain, valvesprings, heads rebuilt, mild cam, etc. I've also had all the fluids/filters replaced along with my interior/exterior restoration.

I think I have a solid foundation here now so its time for me to get intelligent on the tuning side! I've been reading the Vortex site and learning quite a bit!

Thanks again and appreciate any additional feedback!

So in my addidtional reading as I wait for my parts, I'm now reading about wastegates, boost creep, etc. In the majority of articles I read, some of them dated, it talks about boost creep and the need for some enhancements in this area.

Most of the newer 'recipe' articles I read, a boost controller or adjustable wastegate is not mentioned.

Any thoughts or advice in this area? Not knowing much in this area, but it seems like 'boost creep' is the concern in 3rd/4th gears?

I would install an adjustable actuator and add a Razors "ALKY" kit....and have fun. I don't think you need to be too concerned with boost creep running the stock turbo.

Walbro FP, Hotwire Kit, TT Chip, 60lb injectors, Accufab AFPR, and ScanMaster.

That should be good enough to go low 13's on pump gas, 12's on race gas in the 1/4 mile. My GN has those mods and it runs 13.0 in the 1/4 on pump gas with 28x9 M/T slicks. Next mod, alkycontrol...

I was thinking Scanmaster, Hot Wired Fuel Pump, and the TurboTweak Chip & 60lb injector combo.

Not 1 of these will reduce your 1320 et.

They all will assist. But tuning, lowering your 60' time, and adding boost will :cool: Watch for KR!

Thanks for the info guys!

I'm going to go with the adjustable wastegate and start the tuning learning curve. I've read the Vortex site a couple times and will keep searching this board!

I've ordered the Budnik alumninum GN wheels, rears are 15x8 and will be ordering some M/T DRs - still determining which size.

Will keep you posted and I'm sure ask 50 more questions once I get everything installed and start the tuning process!