You can type here any text you want

Few questons before I buy parts...

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Amelio

Well finally I have a few bucks to buy a roller cam kit, it took way longer than I thought but the time is here! I have decided to go with the Full Throttle roller cam kit, I am going to get the 210/215 cam it seems to the best fit for what I want the car to do.

My questions:

I need to buy a timing chain set and noticed that there are optional sizes, how do I know if a stock replacement double roller will not work?

I have also heard of guys having to measure pushrod length, will this be necessary or I will not know until I install the cam?

Thanks for the input!

I would call Mike direct if I was you... He can probably answer all your questions and make sure you get what you need...

Good luck!

Push rod length will matter with cam choice...

I recently installed the same cam in my 4.1 build and followed the directions, from Comp, on setting my lifter pre-load. I had to replace two pushrods to get the right length.
I bought an Edelbrock chain from Summit. The length will be effected if you had the block line bored or honed. I did have my block line honed but was within tolerances with the stock length chain.
Also, if you haven't changed your exhaust valves to the straight stem style, cut down the valve guides, and added seals you will have problems because of the increased valve lift. I haven't run the car on the street yet because I'm chasing a water leak but the cam is a lot quieter and smoother idling than I expected.
HTH:)

For the moment I am running the stock rocker assembly, is it still necessary to set pre-load? I was under the impression that you only need to set the pre-load if you were running roller rockers.

you mentioned cutting the exhaust valve guides because I would have problems, what type of problem may occur? I am not sure what valves are in my heads. I bought these heads a while back, they were fully ported and polished I don't know who did it but they did a great job. I would imagine that the stock valve was replaced but I will not know for sure untill I pull the valve out when I replace the springs.

This is the first roller set up I have built and the roller cam is a little larger in lift but a little lower in duration than my previous flat tappet. I had a Reed 223/223 502/502 in the car and it worked great! It had a little lag but pulled very hard when the drag radials were not spinning :biggrin:

I have heard so many guys say they have had problems installing and have heard just as many say they have had no issues....... just doing more research before I jump in.

Thanks!

YOU MUST measure pushrods for Proper length! There are no 1 size fits all worth the $$$ IMO. Also there is a place or thread (maybe Comp Cams) to tell you how to measure for the chain. IF its pretty close to stock with a line bore & hone usually 2 thous under will fit nice & tight but some use stock as well. I went 2 under & its nice & tight. Get the Comp Cams Pushrod checker for $15 & then order Custom ones from Manton or Smith Bros. Have them to you in under a week!

PS: Its NOT just the length but the Geometry is very important for oiling & a quiet motor. Mine sounds slightly louder than stock BUT I was Very Particular in this area of measuring!

Here is an oldie but a Goodie!! Lifter Preload

Back