Finally hit 12's

tford

Registered Member
Ran 12.9 (105 mph) last night at cecil dragway first pass with a 1.9 60 ft. Now I just need to work on the rear brakes so I can build more boost on the line. Very happy even though I know it should be quicker. Finally making progress a little at a time.

about 22 psi. don't have the slip in front of me right now. I know it picked up 22 mph from 1/8th to the finish.

What you see in my sig. Stock internals, stock suspension, on 235 mt et streets. I know it should be low 12's. Haven't had a lot of seat time to tune. Only ran 2 times. Pulled 2% fuel out of 1/2 gear setting on the tt chip. Still ran same mph though. Going again this weekend. I'll pull a little more out and maybe bump the 1/2 timing and see if anything changes. Alky setting on 6. Clean runs with no knock. Second run was 13.0 @ 105 with a 2.0 60'. I'll snap a pic of my slip to see if you guys notice anything that looks weird. Even though it's not lightning fast, still ran better than the other buick there that was broke down. Being able to drive it back home is more important to me than what I ran.

Looked up your thread from last year, are you sure your tt chip is for 21-24lbs of boost? Ive never seen one like that, the ones I've had have all said 23-25lbs for alcohol. Dropping under 23 went very rich. Last summer I was in your shoes trying to get a similiar combo working. What started working for me was lowering the gain on alky a little, leaving on the most boost that didnt spin, and getting a wideband. I was able to pull 1.7-1.8 60s with leaving at 4lbs of boost on Nittos. Wideband showed me what I thought were "safe" adjustments were actually still pig rich. When you get the chance post up the numbers from your timeslip.

21-24 psi is what I filled out for Eric on the info sheet when I ordered it. I wanted to stay under 25 and thought that was a good range. I'm sure it is still rich. Next track visit, I'm going to raise the boost one more psi, then see if any knock shows up. If no knock, I'll gradually lower the fueling% in the chip each run to see if mph picks up. I have a wideband (not installed) and saving funds to get a powerlogger to do the complete install all at once. I'll post the slip in a day or two. What did you end up running with your similar setup? Thanks, TIm

Alky on 6, 23 psi, ta49if I left with more than 4-5psi it just spun off the line,so at 4psi i'de go.
Lots of 12.8-12.9s at 105-106mph with 1.9-2.0 60ft learning how to launch without spinning to bad.
Best was
1.74 60ft
7.81 1/8th 87.xx mph
12.34 1/4th 107.xx mph

After the 12.3 I got a wideband and put it on the dyno. Found out my a/f was around 10.0 in 3rd gear. Wideband and powerlogger were worth every penny to me. When the weather gets nice I plan to be back at the local track and see if I can sneak into the 11s

11s should be no problem @ your boost level now that you got the fuel figured out. Every car is different but I try to keep my car @ 11.0 afr or richer.

Glad to hear I'm in the ballpark. Even though I don't have the wideband installed, the old school guys said before the day of wideband O2's, they'd just keep trimming fuel out until it knocks. Not a big fan of doing it this way so I'm not going to take very much fuel % out until the wideband is installed. Just wanted to play with it a little to see how much my mph goes up.
Do you think at my level I'd benefit from one range cooler on the plugs? Right now I have the stock heat range. Thanks, Tim

...Do you think at my level I'd benefit from one range cooler on the plugs? Right now I have the stock heat range. Thanks, Tim

Yes. NGK UR5's are two colder I believe. I run my car in the winter with them and they perform great on 90degree days too. I gap mine at .032 and it works well at 25psi.

i understand you dont have the seat time and the car may be a little rich but what needs to be addressed is the 1.9-2.0 60fts.i agree the car can make more power,but changing plugs if the car is running good is not needed.you need to come out on boost and or raise timing in the lower gears and lock the converter in 3rd.a 61mm turbo and 3200 stall should hit the 60ft hard and locking the converter in 3rd will pickup the mph as long as the converter will handle it.

I know. Rear brake upgrade is definitely needed. No wot locking of converter here though. It would be toast pretty quick.

I know. Rear brake upgrade is definitely needed. No wot locking of converter here though. It would be toast pretty quick.

I thought the Pats converters would take a WOT lock? You need good line pressure to get it to lock quickly, but if it does lock quickly, this shouldn't cause any undo wear on the converter clutches; not more than they can take for a long time anyway. If it doesn't lock quickly though, I think even my 5 disc would get toasted. Locking in 3rd really makes the last half of the run a lot more enjoyable! :D

At what mph are you locking the converter?

That's a good question! I use a switch I made with two male ends that plug into the ALDL port and I just hit the switch when it shifts into third. I can set up my chip to lock at a certain speed and was wondering myself what to set it at for WOT lock. I'm going to the track tomorrow and will try to see what mph works best. Probably varies based on converter slip and at what rpm's your shifts occur. Some lock it in 2nd and let it shift to third at WOT but I haven't pulled that trigger yet; seems harsh on the trans...