Finally on the Road! Wanted to say Thanks!

54Rich

I just wanted to Thank Everyone and I mean Everyone that helped me get this car on the road! I'd like to mention names, however, I'm sure that I'd leave someone out and I don't want to do that. I only got ripped off once:mad: and since he has not cashed the check yet, I guess I can't call it totaly ripped off (Kenny where the heck is my shifter handle?)

I bought this back in May and it didn't take long to realize that it needed, love and money. I can finally say (At least for now, LOL) that it's down to a heater control valve and a turbo that does not double as a bug fogger. Both parts are hopefully in the works. Also, adding a ScanMaster so I can tell what's going on with it. I may get to drive it before it gets put away for winter!

I bought it from pictures and a discription from a member here and he came through with his commitment to me and I appreicate that:) I should have went and looked at it first and in person, but thought can't be that much wrong with it:confused: . I bought a rust free, running T. Here's what's been done to it:

1) New Tires - Rears have 5/16 spacers- Sumitomo HTRZ 225/55R 16 and 255/50R 16
2) Posi Rear
3) Longer Wheel Studs
4) New brakes
5) Repaired Stereo, replaced 4X10
6) Cleaned and repaired Speedo and Trip
7) Oil Change
8) Radiator Fluid Change
9) Installed 160 Thermostat
10) Repaired dash plate
11) Replaced Dash
12) Repaired AC, replaced Compressor, dryer, orfice, charged
13) Replaced Carpet, Headliner, Visors
14) Replaced Supertine Belt
15) Repaired PW Pump
16) Greased and Lubed
17) Replaced Trans Lines, added sheilds (Missing)
18) Cleaned Intercooler
19) Replaced Intercooler Brackets (Missing)
20) Repaired Windsheild Washer
21) Replaced Speedo gear
22) Replaced Brake Resvior
23) Replaced Amber driving lamps
24) Replaced Air Dam, both sides
25) Installed rear seat braces
26) Repaired Tail lights
27) Installed correct shifter
28) Replaced shifter inlay
29) Painted rear wheel trim and installed
30) Replaced Vac lines
31) Replaced gas tank
32) Upgraded Fuel Pump XP
33) Installed Hotwire Kit
34) Replaced windsheild blades, painted crowl
35) Removed Pass header, cracked (due to missing intercooler brackets) Replaced
36) Replaced rear seal, oil pan gaskets, valve cover gaskets
37) Replaced motor mounts, trans mount
38) RJP Power plate
39) Replaced heater control, vac switch
40) Charged AC

I'm sure I'm missing a few things. I can now say that I know a little about these cars. I have 5 miles on it since I got it running, don't like that Turbo, way to much smoke. Put some 93 in it and seems to pull really hard. I have no idea what the chip is or if it's matched to the injectors. Can't wait to get the Scanmaster and start tuning:)

Again, Thanks ALL!

To be continued.......

Rich

Attachments

• P9240011.JPG
    P9240011.JPG
    61 KB · Views: 823
  • P9240012.JPG
    P9240012.JPG
    56.9 KB · Views: 822
  • P9240010.JPG
    P9240010.JPG
    79.2 KB · Views: 809
Nice looking WE-4!! I don't care what some people say, Black cars looked the BEST with nice paint/wheels. Course im a lil biased......;)

Ken Boling

The car looks great! It looks like you replaced almost everything but the frame. :eek:

Don't see too many of them with crank windows; it will probably add more value to the vehicle.

Wow, Nice Interior. Mint!

Well not quite mint, but looks really nice. They always look better in pictures.

Not a WE4, interesting story, car was built in Dec 86 a month before the WE4 surfaced. Although, the dealers knew about it in Nov 86. I've been told it's a black chrome bumper T, but someone spent a lot of time changing it to all black, there is no eveidence that it was once chrome:confused: So I may never know the whole story.

Replacing stuff is what you do with a 104K mile car that's been sitting for years:cool: Everything has been gone through, I think? Anyhow, pulled the turbo off today, no side to side play, but 3/16" in and out:eek: and the output side has oil all over it. Fix this and I should be good:cool:

Rich

looking good!!

Well not quite mint, but looks really nice. They always look better in pictures.

Not a WE4, interesting story, car was built in Dec 86 a month before the WE4 surfaced. Although, the dealers knew about it in Nov 86. I've been told it's a black chrome bumper T, but someone spent a lot of time changing it to all black, there is no eveidence that it was once chrome:confused: So I may never know the whole story.

Replacing stuff is what you do with a 104K mile car that's been sitting for years:cool: Everything has been gone through, I think? Anyhow, pulled the turbo off today, no side to side play, but 3/16" in and out:eek: and the output side has oil all over it. Fix this and I should be good:cool:

Rich
Hi rich it's me Scot ! The one who sold you the car. It look's nice.. There sure is alot of normal service to do on these cars, especially when one has sat for several years! Looks like you have done several other things too. Just to let you know some more info on the car and the WE4 history. When I recived the car the front bumpers WERE NOT CHROME! and we re-painted them due to all the stone chips to make them look alittle better, that's when we realized they wern't chome! Iv'e talked to several people over the years of owning my buick that some truly had WE4's and were the orrig owners and didn't have it mentioned on the RPO sticker, Some even had hood ornaments on their car when we all know they wern't supposed to come with those. So if it was that close to production I would not dismiss the fact that it might be one of the first ones. anything is possible with GM and the way they started with there options back then. they were a mess!! WE4's, T's, T-type's, Turbo T's, limited's. "Let's do that, That won't get confusing!!" :rolleyes:

Scot w.

So if it was that close to production I would not dismiss the fact that it might be one of the first ones. anything is possible with GM and the way they started with there options back then. they were a mess!! WE4's, T's, T-type's, Turbo T's, limited's. "Let's do that, That won't get confusing!!"

I'd like to think it is with it's build date and such, looking at the 87 WE4 order form, that's my car. Here is a good site, of course I can't prove what my car is? There are some that say if it does not say WE4 on the RPO then it's not.

BUICKWE4.com

Really does not matter, it is what it is. And it's mine, And it is almost done! Get the turbo fixed and the ScanMaster in and look out! The interesting part is I've almost wanted to part with my 69 GS 400 4 speed, so I can buy speed parts for this thing! Man what a sickness these cars can be:rolleyes:

We'll still meet up someday for beers!

Rich

There are some that say if it does not say WE4 on the RPO then it's not
Well people can say what they want to but it obviously doesn't mean GM Never screwed up on those RPO stickers. when they have screwed up and produced a WE4 with the hood ornament! :rolleyes: I don't think there was a more confusing model of a car than the 86-87 Buick turbo regal. It was like GM didn't know which way to go with the turbo regal, When you add too much to the option list it always leaves more room for mistakes and confusion from the first order of the car right down to the assembly line. I guess my point is: People make mistakes and there are alot of mistakes that can be made in the many steps & process of building a car and to be so narrow minded to say "If it's not on the RPO then it's not a WE4" Thats rediculous! People clearly make mistakes every single day, I just wish there was a easyier way to find more out on our cars, like giving GM the vin # and having them run it and see how it was ordered from day one. cause the order sheet COULD be different from the RPO!! just my .02 worth...

Scot w.

I would also install new LT1 valve springs. Did you replace plug wires? Fuel filter? Timing chain & gear? Oil pump pick-up screen.

I removed the timing cover and oil pan to replace leaking gaskets. I found that the oil pump pickup screen was virtually plugged with various materials. I got a new pickup and SAVED the motor!

A fresh timing chain and gears would be a smart move. You should use ARP bolts and locktite (use torque wrench to get it right) on the cam gear. Ask me how I know to do this!

Conrad

I would also install new LT1 valve springs. Did you replace plug wires? Fuel filter? Timing chain & gear? Oil pump pick-up screen.

I removed the timing cover and oil pan to replace leaking gaskets. I found that the oil pump pickup screen was virtually plugged with various materials. I got a new pickup and SAVED the motor!

A fresh timing chain and gears would be a smart move. You should use ARP bolts and locktite (use torque wrench to get it right) on the cam gear. Ask me how I know to do this!

Conrad

Thanks for the Advise:cool: I have no history on the motor, other than it pulls really strong! I had the pan off and cleaned the screen, I know the timing chain has been replaced and the heads have been off:confused: Found pieces of the gears in the pan and new head gaskets.

Just want to enjoy this a bit, before I get into the motor anymore. So it's getting some upgrades for spring. 009's, Big Mouth with LS1, Vacuum Brakes, Larger rear wheel cyl. New stainless flex lines. A new Gas tank (Don't get me started on that subject). Gauges and I hope for ALKY? We'll have to see. Next year, the motor will get pulled and cleaned up, if I like the car, havn't driven it enough to tell. Other projects in the works, including a 69 GS 400 4 Speed and a 78 VW SB Vert:cool:

The things a Money Pit:eek:

Rich

Do the valve springs and fuel filter!!!!!!!!!
Conrad

Do the valve springs and fuel filter!!!!!!!!!
Conrad

All the spring cleaning was done before I bought the car and the wires were replaced. I've changed the oil with filter 3 times since I got it with min miles, wanted to make sure all the junk was out of there.

I'll do the fuel filter again, since I've has these gas tank issues.

Anyway to tell if the springs have been replaced, other than testing them?

I'll add them to the never ending list:rolleyes:

Thanks,

Rich

All the spring cleaning was done before I bought the car and the wires were replaced. I've changed the oil with filter 3 times since I got it with min miles, wanted to make sure all the junk was out of there.

I'll do the fuel filter again, since I've has these gas tank issues.

Anyway to tell if the springs have been replaced, other than testing them?

I'll add them to the never ending list:rolleyes:

Thanks,

Rich

Where in Western WI are you?

I was born and raised in Richland County, so you must be north of there.

I was born and raised in Richland County, so you must be north of there.

Yep, north of there. I grew up in Madison, lived in Cross Plains for a while. Used to do a lot of trout fishing in Richland County. Loved the stretch between Ithica and Loyd:biggrin:

Of course that was all BK (Before Kids)

Rich

Rich,
Of course, testing the valve springs is best but if that is not going to happen, I would pop the driver side valve cover (easiest one to get off)and see if the valve springs still have the harmonic dampeners still installed on them. They are generally not installed on aftermarket springs. Someone else may be able to post a picture of the stock spring.
Conrad

ps...go to Turbo Regal Web Site you will probable find pic of spring there