You can type here any text you want

Finished with Powermaster

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Roc87

11 Second V6
Got my car back from GnEric (Which did an EXCELLENT job with the work and keeping me updated with pictures of progress and of existing damage, I had no idea it was as bad as it was) pretty much had to do a full rebuild, but lucked out and cylinders and crank were still within factory spec so no machine work to the block. Had I known it was going to need as much, I would've started saving a year ago and got a stroker kit, girdle, rods and nice pistons. Got it home but haven't been able to mess with the tune because of my stupid brakes. I replaced a worn accumulator when I left Erics, but the one I replaced it with was worse. Powermaster motor ran the whole 225 miles back home. That's the 4th time I've replaced that accumulator in the past 13 years, 3 have been in the past 6 years.

With the cost of a new accumulator being close to $200, I went ahead and bought a hydroboost set up from Tallon Hydraulics, includes the firewall bracket and stainless braided pressure hoses, brass 3/8" tee and all necessary fittings/adapters. Then bought a M/C for a 2000 S10. The m/c has a 1" bore, I was kinda wanting a 1 1/8" bore because bigger brakes are in the cars future, but I hope this will work for now. The ports are the same as on the GN, front port is rear brakes and rear port is front brakes. Also ordered some silicon hoses from Gbody to replace the stock rotted lines that run to the p/s reservoir. I'll try to update this post with some pictures and what I think of the brakes when I'm done. Probably be a week or more between waiting for shipping and Christmas.

Last edited:
hello; I'd like to here how you make out and work in progress pics would be real nice. Good luck and I've heard good things on the
swap.
have fun
IBBY

Can't really tell much of the rebuild from the pics of the engine. I'll get some of that in a few minutes. Here's where the PM resided the past 27 years, and the correct place for a PM. I found a prize in the p/s reservoir, have no clue what it is or what it used to be. From the looks of the fluid, I may need to replace the P/S pump, there was a bunch of metal flake in it. Also glad I ordered new hoses that go to the reservoir, they had seen better days, and took a razor to remove from the reservoir. PM1.jpg PM4.jpg PM6.jpg PM8.jpg Even though I used a turkey baster to remove all the fluid from the PM and the P/S reservoir I managed to make a decent size mess under the car. Oh well...

Couldn't get a decent pic of the engine bay, need to get my valve covers powdercoated, they've been flaking since the day I first put them on around 11 years ago. Also got a pic of the new fans/shroud from Alradco, which fit great. They are the "Hybrid" style, extreme fan on the drivers side and their standard fan on passenger side to clear the turbo>IC pipe, along with a $24 polished stainless overflow container off the auction site

Attachments

• Rebuilt1.jpg
    Rebuilt1.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 201
  • Rebuilt2.jpg
    Rebuilt2.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 190
  • Alradco.jpg
    Alradco.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 202
Quick question for those that have done this swap. Do you need to remove the a/c compressor to get to the p/s pump? I don't see how I can replace the line from the reservoir to the pump without removing more stuff.

Quick question for those that have done this swap. Do you need to remove the a/c compressor to get to the p/s pump? I don't see how I can replace the line from the reservoir to the pump without removing more stuff.
Yes, I pulled alt, a/c compressor, intake tube/maf so I could get my ham fists in there.

IMAG1324-1.jpg

IMAG1320.jpg

IMAG1321.jpg

I "massaged" the line to fit it in there without rubbing on anything. Not sure what you will be getting in your kit. Mine is a stock line for the 84 t-type hydroboost.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Last edited:
Well they certainly don't give you much room to work, do they? Was going to remove a/c lines anyways to have a local shop remake the flex portion of them.

Much better! Thanks TexasT

Attachments

• IMG_20131220_191645_957.jpg
    IMG_20131220_191645_957.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 164
Could have just removed the 2 bolts holding the ps pump. ;)
I couldn't see em with all that other stuff in the way. Besides, then I probably wouldn't have been able to hold the pump to loosen the fittings on the hose. Good tech in the remove two pump bolts. On the truck I replaced hoses on one had to remove the pulley to get to the bolts so I didn't even look to do that.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Not much of an update, and don't many good things to say about the outfit I ordered the hydroboost from either. Placed order on the 19th online. Paid extra for 3 day shipping. It hasn't shown up. Finally someone answered, "Oh that won't ship 'til after the new year". Wanted to cancel the whole order, but by the time I find somewhere else, it won't really matter. They are going to refund the extra shipping. Gbody got the p/s hoses to me right away, even the place off ebay that I ordered the m/c from got it to me quickly. In the mean while, I had new hoses crimped onto the a/c lines and bought a new a/c compressor. Word of warning, don't leave the core while waiting for the new compressor; new compressors don't include a high pressure cut off switch, an $18 mistake.
Got new ported/polished heads, roller cam, new rings, bearings, rockers and can't even drive the dang thing:wtf:

Cardone 52-7211
Cardone 10-1984
Powercraft 91660
Powercraft 71187

Have you called around local to see if anyone has these in stock?
When I ordered mine from rock auto it was at my doorstep in mere days. Surely(I know don't call you Shirley, haha), some parts purveyor can get you road worthy and stopping quicker than, "oh, that wont ship til after the first of the year". I'd have wanted a refund right then.

Dont throw your Powermaster in the trash, send it to Kirbans for a credit. The core is worth something to someone...

Bryan

Last edited:
Back