Fire hazard sold to me by Summit.

disco stu

I put in a fuel cell that I bought from Summit. I put it in and put a couple gallons in it to check for leaks. Looks good so I fill it up. I missed a pinhole leak at the bottom of the cell apparently, because I go to garage this morning and find 10 gallons of C16 on the floor. :aasmiley162:

So I call Summit and am hot. I told them that they sold me a fire hazard, a wast of $93 worth of fuel, and a time delay. This could have cost me my house, or my life. And I don't need any more bull**** delays if I am gonna make Indy.

So the rep was just like, "oooookay". I told him that :eek:oooooookay" was not good enough. That is bulll****. My HVAC and gas water heater is in the garage. I can't believe it did not light.

I am so ****ing pissed.

That sucks, I'd be pissed too but look at the "good" side....luckily you only lost $93 worth of fuel, and time.....It could have been a WHOLE lot worse if that had ignited!

You'd think they would pressure test something like a fuel cell? :confused:

Glad you didn't catch on fire and your still with us.

Bottom line, you missed it as well as everyone else along the line.......You were the MOST important, last defense against your house/life going up in flames dude. Your lucky.........

I had a brand new RCI cell 10 years ago leak through a weld. I too was pissed.. but what do ya do.. the middle of teh weld had a fracture.

All the aftermarket parts one puts in ones cars have to quadruple checked.. we sometimes bitch over GM.. but to many times valve covers, tranny pans, oil pans, etc.. all fab stuff can get issues.

consider it a blessing no-one was hurt.

leeking fuel cell

I have a blown 67 camaro with a Harwood cell it too started leeking at the weld but after about 10 yeays. I can under stand mine it sets up for years at a time but yours should have been checked by QC before SUMMIT ever got it. Thats not the only fire hazard thing they have sold. Back when i had the TPI engine i bought a fuel PSI gauge that mounts on the fuel rail. It was not liquid filled therefor the vilant vibration shook it apart and 45 psi fuel went everywear .the fire was very miner but could have been a totel loss. A few months later SUMMIT sent me a letter saing it was defective and please remove it ,it could cause a fire. I guess you just have to stay on your toes when it comes to the fuel system . Just my 2 cents. :rolleyes:

leaking cell

We were just in Sack town CA visting a friend Dominic Mussie great guy and TR builder, but wile there one of his friends pulled up in a great looking GN. He was showing us his new alum, cell it was very nicly done , but one of us notised it was leeking . After looking closer it was leeking from a pin hole in the weld. Makes you wonder how many get by QC. :confused:

Hmmm....these things coming out of CHINA!!???? Makes ya wonder. Think i'll stick to the stocker for now....... :wink:

KTB