You can type here any text you want

First ALKY use, advise needed?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

54Rich

I know this has been covered before, but a search didn't help me. Here's what I have:

Stock Turbo
4" Big Mouth
3.5 MAS w/Translator
Power Plate
42lb injectors
TT chip for 92 (Version 5.6)
Stock Trans with D5 convertor
Hot Wire
XP pump

Car runs very well, all numbers are in line and running 16lbs of boost with Zero Knock.:biggrin:

Now add a Progressive SMC kit. A few questions (new to this game)

1) Where do I start tuning? The last thing I want to do is install this and then hurt somthing.

2) The chip controls the boost, right? How do I raise it above what the chip is set for?

Is there a good starting point timing/boost that is safe and will give me solid results?

Not looking to max out this combo, just want good/great performance. I've heard that above 20psi things really get fun:rolleyes:

Thanks!

First thing I'd do is get a chip burnt for alky by eric at TT. Then bring it up to more and more boost, I use my right foot as my manual boost controler! I was very scared to go wot at first, but alky has really impressed me!

There is a sticky on a write up by Razor in the alky section, try reading that to get you started...

Start here:

Alkycontrol Tuning Sticky

Although this is advise from Julio.... the principle is sound.... and should work fine with the SMC kit.

2) The chip controls the boost, right? How do I raise it above what the chip is set for?

Not really. While the chip has a minimal control thru the wastegate solenoid.... the wastegate rod.... can be modified (if yours isn't already) so you can shorten the rod to raise the boost. Approximately 1 turn equals 1 lb or so..... YMMV...

I would recommend you get an alky chip from Eric.... as a regular street chip will likely be too rich under much boost as the alky kicks in....

If you were running 16 psi with good success on pump gas w/o alky.... you might start with reasonable timing.... say 21 deg in 1st and 2nd.... and 19 deg in 3rd and 4th.... or so..... and maybe 18-20 psi as long as you are sure the alky kit is spraying and working...

This is a good starting point. You must tune for no knock....most of all.... then watching your 02's start to sneak up on high 700's ... to start with at the end of a run.... and you work your way up changing one thing at a time.... boost... then fuel.... then timing....

I would highly recommend a TT Alky chip before you did much tuning.... and also to establish a reasonable goal for boost and/or ET before you start..... to have something to work toward.

I ran 22 psi with my stock turbo and a dutt neck intercooler on pump gas and alky fairly easy..... good enough for mid 12's the first time to the track with the alky kit... with a mediocre 1.71 60' time.... and a mediocre 107 mph trap speed.

HTH

and keep us posted...

You may also want to get this thread moved to the alky section.... there will likely be more help there...

Back