First time buick engine build need help please

wtr

I am preparing to build my engine in my 87 GN. This is my first time for a buick engine so anything you guys can recommend for a first timer would be great. I have built many small block chevys so i understand how everything works. I wanna make prolly 500 to 600 hp. What parts do i need to get to be able to make this kinda hp and it live. Thanks for any help Billy

where are you located? first step is to find a good (knows turbo buick engines) machine shop. After that the sky is the limit or more like what's in your wallet.

I am located in louisville ky so if you can tell me a good machine shop to use I can prolly drive or ship the stuff.I really just want to make I do this right the first time.

might want to build a stock v6 a time or 2 first so you get the hang of it.

not the same dance as a Small block.

A.j.

just rebuild mine over the weekend, you could have came over and watch...if you posted sooner..I`m not a pro, but learning as i go... lot of info on this board...

I live In Jeffersonville IN just across the river and I am Building a buick motor right now and am planning on it making about 600. I took my stuff to Red at Worrells machine shop I spent some time talking to him before I took my stuff there and he has done some of these motors and seems to know his stuff

might want to build a stock v6 a time or 2 first so you get the hang of it.

not the same dance as a Small block.

A.j.

Aj's completly right about this. IT AINT A FREEKING CHEVY!!! I've seen guys build a Chevy in the dirt, literally. The Buicks are totally different (V8 or V6). Please do some reading on the board and ask questions. The tollerances are different and the mechanics are not even the same. The machinist may not have any idea of what's needed to make it surive much less live beyond getting it to start. My first Buick I put together myself but I was smart enough to have Rhere and Morrison do the machine work. It cost me a bundle but the machinist Ollie knew what he was doing. He was the one that built the Indy motors. If one of the guys on the board is willing to help you then please let them do it so you have a better idea of how to do it.

Hey WTR,

if you can build a chevy or any engine you can build one of these.....just make sure you get an experienced machinist as mentioned. You will also need a spec sheet for your clearances and torque ratings. There is no real magic to building these engines and making them live, you just need to take your time and make sure every thing is to spec. Like mentioned these are not as forgiving as an sbc. I also have one in my Vette and let me tell you I was more liberal with the tolerances in it than in my little V6:)

Also just a tip try to decide if a hp number is what you want or a 1/4 et......I have seen cars make great numbers on a dyno but not run like it should at the track. Grant it they should go hand in hand....this will also help with a budget if you have.

The bottom ends on these things are great from the factory and will support up to 500hp (crank hp) with a few mods to the bottom it will support the hp you want with no issue. I have a set of decent pistons a girdle and ARP hardware and thats it and my car makes a little over 600hp.

Just decide how fast you want to go and how much you have to spend and build from there.....there are tons of combo's out there and formulas to let you know what parts will get you a certain et.

Good luck!

I am preparing to build my engine in my 87 GN. This is my first time for a buick engine so anything you guys can recommend for a first timer would be great. I have built many small block chevys so i understand how everything works. I wanna make prolly 500 to 600 hp. What parts do i need to get to be able to make this kinda hp and it live. Thanks for any help Billy

I recommend contacting Dan Strezo at DLS engine development. It would be worth the drive up to Wheatfield Indiana. He has some of the best experience with the 109 engine.

I have picked stuff up from him on a Sunday afternoon so if you can’t make it up there on a weekday I bet he would work with you. He has been a huge help in making my TSM engine survive the punishment we put it through. His phone number is 219 956-3653

He knows all the tricks. It will be cheaper in the long run to get him involved now, if your goal is 500 to 600 horses. He will teach you allot, especially if this is your first round with the 109.