First time down 1/4 mile, what can I do to improve?

BuickMike231

60% of the time, it works every time.
Hey guys, I figured I'd throw some numbers at you to see what you all thought. My car is still mostly stock, all modifications are in my sig. I am running 15-16 lbs of boost and usually just adjust the fuel in the TT chip depending on the air temp and if I see any knock or if it feels sluggish. My first run went as follows:
R/T: .066
60': 2.153 (horrible I know)
1/8: 8.801
MPH: 79.39
1/4: 13.783
MPH: 98.69
This run I had some spinning out of the hole which lead to a bit of wheel hop. I stayed in it until it cleared up and that was the run.

Run two looked like this:
R/T: .183
60': 2.290 (worse, I know)
1/8: 9.219
MPH: 79.19
1/4: 14.174
MPH: 99.48
Now this run had wheel hop bad enough where I let off the throttle completely and got back on, and still MPH'd faster.

What this makes me think is that the car pulls pretty well at the top end of the track, and I know I can't launch this thing to save my life. I think I usually only launch at a couple lbs of boost, probably less than 4 or 5 which is killing the 60' I'm sure.

My questions are, what are some tips on lauching/dropping the 60' and what do the times tell you guys (other than the driver needs practice!) about the car. The 13.78 was the best e.t of the day and my fastest MPH was 99.82.

Not listed in my sig is the Nitto NT555R DR's that I run also.

Let me know what you guys think and thanks ahead of time!! :D

Were you racing someone or were you concentrating on your launch. Most people just getting started have an awful reaction time making sure they pin the best launch for their car. Sometimes its better to sit there and get a consistant good launch first and then work on cutting a good light.
Just an opinion, not worth much as the next:smile:

Got to make that Car Hook

Cutting your ET's is all about the launch and within the 8th mile.
What PSI are you running on the rear tires?

i would work on 60' times. was there any kr on these runs? what are your tt fuel and timing settings?

Hey guys, thanks for the quick replies! I will try to answer everyone's questions:
Allblackcars - I was just doing some time trials for those two runs I posted information on. I know I really should just let the light go green and learn how to launch and not worry about the other guy, sometimes I just get caught up in the moment!

V84Lunch - I usually run about 20 psi in the tires. The car doesn't launch (I don't launch it) hard enough to justify dropping anymore. The car seemed to respond better to 20 psi than it did at 18 or so.

2Quick2B6 - I have been looking into control arms as well. I'm sure my crapped out springs and shocks aren't helping anything either. All this will be getting replaced as time and funds permit.

1fast6 - If I recall there was not any major KR on either run, maybe in the 1 or 2 degree range. I know we always tune for no knock, and for the most part the car's usually pretty knock free. I think there is something in the exhaust that bangs and sets it off from time to time. As far as the TT fuel and timing, timing is at the default 128, I've never messed with it. The fuel I usually add anywhere from 0 (default 128) to 8-10 psi fuel WOT depending on the temperature. Seems like when the temp drops down in the 50ish range I need to throw some fuel at it to keep it happy.

I know the biggest thing I need to do is just hit an open track day/street night and just practice the launch. Anything else you guys see in the above info that would throw a flag or give any indication one way or the other? Thanks again for any help!

take some fuel out of 1st gear or ad timing to 1st. that will help 60' as long as you don't have knock.

I never have played with the 1st gear settings on the TT chip. I am going to an 1/8 mile track tomorrow night. I will play with it a bit and report back! Thanks again for all the help guys!

The first thing you need to do is control your wheel hop. The cheapest and easiest way to do that is with air bags. You can actually get away with just one in the passenger side set to about 15 psi. While you are under the car check to see what kind of shape your upper and lower control arm bushings are in and replace them if necessary. From there you can play around with the pressure in your tires. I've never seen any improvement in 60ft below 20 psi on a drag radial.

Hey guys, sorry it took me so long to respond to this. Well the last time I made it to the 1/8th mile track I saw some improvements doing what you guys said. I played with the first gear setting in the TT chip and that seemed to help a bit. My best run of the night was as follows:
60' - 2.03
330' - 5.62
1/8 et - 8.6825
1/8 mph - 79.70 mph

The car was running 79.xx mph all night so at least it's consistent.

I am actually heading to the same track this Saturday to get some more runs in. Anything you guys see in that last run that jumps out or just keep working on my 60'? I know that is killing me right now. Thanks guys!