Flow Testing Heads?

free for mine but mine was tested aginst all the big boys an came out on top

Weber has done some testing on their hand ported vs Champion and come out with better numbers. Nothing against Champion, but flow numbers do count... especially TTA heads.

Weber has done some testing on their hand ported vs Champion and come out with better numbers. Nothing against Champion, but flow numbers do count... especially TTA heads.

How come Weber's website only offers Champion ported heads? You're saying they will take your stock irons and machine them per specs?

A good handport job will typically outflow mass produced CNC port job, for more $$, which one should expect. I bet very few if any of the BIG boys use "as delivered CNC iron heads". Those heads are massaged.

There are soo many variables and little things on heads that impact a flow reading, including the test method. There is also flow volume and flow quality, which should both be balanced based on intended use.

Once the heads are ported, valve train geometry and control will have the biggest impact on our application and platform. . . . . . . IMO. Lol

Personally . . . . If I was going max out, I could care less about a "flow number". I would make calls to 4 people in the world. 2 of those are vendors: Nick and Bison to discuss . . . . . . . And get either to set me up with a a pair of heads regardles of a flow number. I know they would be "Bolt on ready" . . . JMO.

Last edited:
I would call Weber. I have a set of their hand ported race heads. Im doing fairly well with low boost. I have had Champion irons too.

Chris Hogeland does some very nice port work. Reach out to him and see what he has to offer

Bryan

Look at the short turn. The more work there the more the heads will flow. The air can't easily make the turn. Out of the box heads will never flow close to their full potential. It would be too costly to have the castings be that consistent. A little flow difference means little. Most are chasing numbers. When you can increase flow 20% or more over a certain lift then you have potential to make a lot more power if you have enough turbo and valvetrain. Turbo engines do like intake runner volume. Having a great flowing set of heads will do little more for power if the exhaust pressure is double the intake manifold pressure. It's like chasing after pennies when you could go after dollars for the same or less effort. Engine A has race ported aluminum heads and propels the car to 140mph @25psi with a 3 bolt turbo with a 66mm turbine and drive pressure is 45psi. Engine B has out of the box aluminum heads of the same casting and all else the same except it has a turbo with a tang t4 ex housing and and 78mm turbine. Manifold pressure is 25psi. Drive pressure is 28psi. Both are the same cam, CR, and both optimized to run numbers reliably. I know which one is going to make a lot more power and potentially move the car down the quarter mile quicker and it isn't the one with the better heads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Btw . . OP . . . . If all you want is a flow number . . . . Many speedshops in every city can do this. No need to ship it accross country . . . . What heads gols do you have?

Btw . . OP . . . . If all you want is a flow number . . . . Many speedshops in every city can do this. No need to ship it accross country . . . . What heads gols do you have?

89k 100% stock motor. I'd like mild street performance without sacrificing reliability. Engine is out of the car and I have the following bolt-ons.
TE-44
Walboro 255
42.5 oo9's
3200 L/U 911
62mm TB
RJC Plenum
Needing Heads/intake port-matched

Goal: mid/high 11's

Here is my irons fixing to go on!! At this time they was almost finished. Mr. Hogeland put a lot of time in these. Pic really does no justice.

Attachments

• 1425570067774.jpg
    1425570067774.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 160
  • 1425570186347.jpg
    1425570186347.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 139
89k 100% stock motor. I'd like mild street performance without sacrificing reliability. Engine is out of the car and I have the following bolt-ons.
TE-44
Walboro 255
42.5 oo9's
3200 L/U 911
62mm TB
RJC Plenum
Replacing flat-tappet with 206/206 roller cam
Needing Heads/intake port-matched

Goal: mid/high 11's

I was looking for general compatison numbers as im building a new engine and my current heads are ported. I picked up some "race" ported irons and wanted to compare them is all. Sounds like maybe ill dump the 3 bolt and pick up a tangental turbo when the time comes. Im already running an external wg off the manifold. Cutting off the 3 bolt flange and placing the 4 bolt is easy enough. A new section of downpipe in vband form was already on the todo.