You can type here any text you want

Foot Braking and building boost?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

justcrusin'

Currently foot braking on the line..trying to build boost before launch.

Brakes not holding great in rear..even with two primary pads on drum.
Brakes hold better in front, but back tires just push the skinny drag fronts skidding them on the pavement and breaking the beam.

What's next a transbrake? Will this work with a built, 3600 stall 2004r or will it rip it apart?

What are everyones thoughts on brake cylinders from a 82 S10 blazer/manual brake?

i have s10 cylinders and big pads on my rearend. i can hold atleast 10psi on the street. also alot of people say they like to lock on the street mine hasnt had this problem and my car doesnt go out in the rain.

as far as a trans brake that would be the way to go. you say your trans is built. what does that mean? a trans brake will work but you need to have the right components in the trans to make it live

Check for problems first.

1) Are the rear's adjusted right.
2) Are you getting water on the fronts causing them to slip
3) Axle seals OK?

And more importantly how much boost before it starts to move.

i have s10 cylinders and big pads on my rearend. i can hold atleast 10psi on the street. also alot of people say they like to lock on the street mine hasnt had this problem and my car doesnt go out in the rain.

as far as a trans brake that would be the way to go. you say your trans is built. what does that mean? a trans brake will work but you need to have the right components in the trans to make it live

I really don't want to go the trasbrake route yet. Where did you find your s1o cylinders? Junkyard? Ordered new? Are the clips in the GN cylinders a pain in the ass?

If I could launch with 10psi...Look out:eek:

I had the s-10 brakes for a while, could build about 10psi with stock fronts. Also put the 2000 s-10 blazer brakes on front, better holding capacity, but very heavy. If it's possible, go full disc all the way around, wilwood or aerospace.

Check for problems first.

1) Are the rear's adjusted right.
2) Are you getting water on the fronts causing them to slip
3) Axle seals OK?

And more importantly how much boost before it starts to move.

1. I think so...what should I be checking for adjustment wise?
2. No, but fronts hold better on a sticky track.. the skidding is taking place on my concrete floored garage.
3. What should I be checking for here?

No boost before I start to move in the garage... thought i got 6psi at the track last run. Just switched to a 10" rim with 4.5" backspacing, a 1/2" wheel spacer, 28 x 10.5 MT- real drag tire and longer wheel studs to accomadate.

I had the s-10 brakes for a while, could build about 10psi with stock fronts. Also put the 2000 s-10 blazer brakes on front, better holding capacity, but very heavy. If it's possible, go full disc all the way around, wilwood or aerospace.

How well would a full disk set up hold boost wise?

Where can I find wilwood or aerospace?

10 psi from the 82 s-10 blazer sounds great? Any shops around that can do the swap?

Currently foot braking on the line..trying to build boost before launch.

Brakes not holding great in rear..even with two primary pads on drum.
Brakes hold better in front, but back tires just push the skinny drag fronts skidding them on the pavement and breaking the beam.

What's next a transbrake? Will this work with a built, 3600 stall 2004r or will it rip it apart?

What are everyones thoughts on brake cylinders from a 82 S10 blazer/manual brake?

Are you using a Power Master? Do you have an aftermarket proportioning valve like a the one Summit sells. Maybe you need a little more stall in the converter.
Jeff

1. I think so...what should I be checking for adjustment wise?
2. No, but fronts hold better on a sticky track.. the skidding is taking place on my concrete floored garage.
3. What should I be checking for here?

No boost before I start to move in the garage... thought i got 6psi at the track last run. Just switched to a 10" rim with 4.5" backspacing, a 1/2" wheel spacer, 28 x 10.5 MT- real drag tire and longer wheel studs to accomadate.

Pull the drums off the rear and look for axle grease.

This year I started chasing a drop in my 60ft's. It was a couple of things as best as I can tell. The track I was running at didn't have paved parking and dew on the front tires was causing part of the push. The other part was the DS axle seal was leaking and putting grease on the brake shoes.

Fixed both and I'm back down to where my 60fts were.

How well would a full disk set up hold boost wise?

Where can I find wilwood or aerospace?

10 psi from the 82 s-10 blazer sounds great? Any shops around that can do the swap?

Full disc will hold all the boost you want. My setup is aerospace all the way around with a vacuum booster on it, we are going to a manuel mc because it has too much brake in it. Let's just say you don't want to crowd the brakes at the end of the track :eek:

You can order wilwood or aerospace from most of the big parts stores, summit, jegs ect...

Hartline carries aerospace I believe.

Where are you in MS, Randy can handle the swap if you are around here. (south MS)

Full disc will hold all the boost you want. My setup is aerospace all the way around with a vacuum booster on it, we are going to a manuel mc because it has too much brake in it. Let's just say you don't want to crowd the brakes at the end of the track :eek:

You can order wilwood or aerospace from most of the big parts stores, summit, jegs ect...

Hartline carries aerospace I believe.

Where are you in MS, Randy can handle the swap if you are around here. (south MS)

I live in Picayune MS..not too far from ya.
Holding all the boost I want sounds great!!!!!!

Who is Randy? Where is he? And why hasn't he started yet?

Just removed front sway bar this morning. And Man that factory spare had some weight. Now I have to trim my fender wells to deal with my 28 x 10.5's.

If Randy wants the job he can contact me at 985 960 2676-Jeff

Are you using the lineloc in the burnout ? or are you just powerbraking it ?

If you don't use a lineloc, you will heat up the rear shoes and they won't hold.

I never liked launching off the footbrake... Using a transbrake is SO much nicer in these cars... especially with a TH400. :cool:

That said, I've never noticed any adverse conditions when running the S10 wheel cylinders. If anything, the car stops better as a result.

Are you using the lineloc in the burnout ? or are you just powerbraking it ?

If you don't use a lineloc, you will heat up the rear shoes and they won't hold.

I never liked launching off the footbrake... Using a transbrake is SO much nicer in these cars... especially with a TH400. :cool:

That said, I've never noticed any adverse conditions when running the S10 wheel cylinders. If anything, the car stops better as a result.

I use a front line lock @ burnout.

With the turbo 400, did you change rear end...gears?

I use a front line lock @ burnout.

With the turbo 400, did you change rear end...gears?

Nope. Stock 3.42's work great.

If I do change gears, it won't be due to the TH400, it will be a need for more MPH when I run out of motor going through the traps. When I get to that point, I'll just drop down to a 3.23 gearset.

Nope. Stock 3.42's work great.

If I do change gears, it won't be due to the TH400, it will be a need for more MPH when I run out of motor going through the traps. When I get to that point, I'll just drop down to a 3.23 gearset.

Great...sounds like you hook up and go!!!!

I have decided to try the areospace dual pad, drag brakes Hartline's got.

About 8 times the cost of S-10 cylinders but I bet I can cross this off the tinker list for a while now.

I also put some MT 28" x 10.5 (true drag) on the back

Had to use longer studs with a half inch spacer. Now I got that pesky wheel well lip issue.

Maybe I should notch back and box the frame....maybe different shocks or springs...maybe cut the wheel well. I guess if you want to go fast that awsome GN has to be molested.

Back