Ford 9" High definition speed sensor

turbobitt

Another project in the books. 45 tooth speed sensor with gear tooth sensing hall effect sensor. All CAD designed and laser cut material. This is the lightweight design mounted on the back of the Strange 1350 yoke. Have 36 and 24 tooth versions as well.
AG.

009.JPG
010.JPG
013.JPG
019.JPG
020.JPG
024.JPG

As always, very very nice work Allan.

Couple quick questions: what benefit would a setup like yours have over the current one offered by FAST which incorporates a 2 magnet hall effect system? Is the resolution that much better that traction control features would become more responsive?

I'm curious.

Adrian

my only fear is that that sucker hangs low and knowing my luck i would nick it on something a take out the sensor in one fellow swoop.

Do you think something like this could be fashioned in a smaller diameter package with potentially less teeth so it would clear the lower part of the housing?

Couple quick questions: what benefit would a setup like yours have over the current one offered by FAST which incorporates a 2 magnet hall effect system? Is the resolution that much better that traction control features would become more responsive?

I'm curious.

Adrian

I haven’t run it yet so I can’t report any benifits yet. I did this project basically to fill in some winter boredom.
AG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

my only fear is that that sucker hangs low and knowing my luck i would nick it on something a take out the sensor in one fellow swoop.

Do you think something like this could be fashioned in a smaller diameter package with potentially less teeth so it would clear the lower part of the housing?

Believe it or not it doesn’t hang lower than the housing. The minimum diameter is limited to the yoke width and the sensor clearance.
I’ll see if I can get a picture of the rear from the rear so you can get a better idea if the wheel hangs below the housing or not.
AG.

Winter boredom! He'll I can think of a crapload of project for you to draw up on CAD

One thing I would love to see is a new version of the Gaige pod go the center console.

If I could describe it to you it would be that the gauges are at the back and the low flat portion is at the front. (Basically opposite of what everyone else's looks like.)

I built a 25.3 chassis and as a result I have hD to me my seat back and canter console. Thu my center console gauges Hang out on there own like retards so I nee somethin else that would look like it belongs there from factory.

Know what I mean ? ;)

Winter boredom! He'll I can think of a crapload of project for you to draw up on CAD

One thing I would love to see is a new version of the Gaige pod go the center console.

If I could describe it to you it would be that the gauges are at the back and the low flat portion is at the front. (Basically opposite of what everyone else's looks like.)

I built a 25.3 chassis and as a result I have hD to me my seat back and canter console. Thu my center console gauges Hang out on there own like retards so I nee somethin else that would look like it belongs there from factory.

Know what I mean ? ;)

No, do you have a picture or sketch? If it’s 2D its will be easy to draw and laser cut
AG

It's 3D. I would have to snap a photo of what I'm look to achieve. I think the best result wil e to make a mould for a fibreglass cast.

Just to get back on track I would love to hear of your experience of the new speed sensor compared to the old school one I have when it comes to responsiveness. It's a really cool idea nonetheless and in theory it should work better.

I'm curious.

Adrian

Just some FYI, I swapped in a Racepak 8 magnet collar and left the FAST sensor alone. I can not get the FAST sensor to read the magnets properly. I believe that due to the number of magnets and their closeness to each other, the magnetic force overlaps and there is not enough "breaks" to give a reading. The air gap was adjusted as per the instructions. I'm going to space out the sensor further out hopefully it'll be able to pick up the breaker in the magnetic field.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

Just some FYI, I swapped in a Racepak 8 magnet collar and left the FAST sensor alone. I can not get the FAST sensor to read the magnets properly. I believe that due to the number of magnets and their closeness to each other, the magnetic force overlaps and there is not enough "breaks" to give a reading. The air gap was adjusted as per the instructions. I'm going to space out the sensor further out hopefully it'll be able to pick up the breaker in the magnetic field.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com
That could be a problem with magnetic sensing hall effect sensors. That is why when you get in the high pulse stuff you start to see ferrous target sensing Hall effect sensors.
AG.

Did you ever do the test on your lathe with the magnet sensor?

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

Yes but not with an 8 magnet. I did some testing with a 4 magnet. I don’t have any exact numbers but if the fast sensor is too close it gets some bad readings. It’s much cleaner further away. If the magnets are really strong, further is better.
IIRC, what I was seeing with the fast sensor st the closer gaps was extra pulses in the signal that in my opinion looked like switch contact bounce. I don’t know how the Hall effect electrically switches but I was concluding that the magnets were just to powerful to be within the Fast sensors prescribed range. You would be surprised how far away those sensors will read.
FYI - The collar I was using was probably a non-FAST supplied one, and as stated, the magnets were probably more powerful and it can change the sensor gap range.

AG