You can type here any text you want

Front Brakes upgrade.

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

V6UnderPressure

The Artist FKA Scott4DMny
I have searched and searched with good info but did not seem to come up with a swap (junkyard) that does not need fabrication. I will be going to larger wheels so I dont mind wheel clearance but wondered if there is anything out there that can be easily swapped for increased stopping performance without having to cut or fabricate anything?

options

My daily driver is an 86 MonteCarlo. I put the Hotchkis (part# 515 1101) upper Tubular control arms on it. These control arms accept the larger GM ball joints. This allows you to use the Impala spindles and dust shields, then you ditch the 10" rotor and upgrade to the 12 inch camaro 1LE rotors and calipers. Instead of using the #154 brake pads you wind up running #52 pads which were used on ¾ ton vans, ¾ ton trucks, impalas, ETC. The difference is incredible.

Things needed:
Hotckis control arms
Larger implala upper ball joints
Spindles calipers and rotor assembly off of an 81-88 Impala. I think chevy Astro van will work to.

On my wifes Buick I installed the Wilwood front brake kit. This brake kit is more focused on leight weight drag racing as the pads are much smaller than the ones used on my MontecCarlo. However it has a four piston calipers and should stop reasonably better than the stock set up. The caliper pistons do not have dust seals which discourages me from using them on a daily driver.

The install of the Wilwood kit is fairly simple. You drill and tap the holes which hold the dust shieds onto the spindles out larger. Then a bracket is mounted onto the spindles. The four piston calipers are mounted to these brackets.

Here is a finished picture of the install.

Attachments

• brakes.jpg
    brakes.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 1,385
Keep us posted on how well the Strange brake kit install goes. I went with the wildwood brakes because I like the thicker vented rotor. I’ll bet that Strange brake kit is really light.

Aero space also makes a non vented light weight brake kit. A friend of mine put this kit on his car. The bracket which holds the caliper only has two mounting bolts as opposed to the Wilwood kit that has three fasteners holding the caliper braket in place. I drove his full weight GN to 9.70 @ 141 MPH and it had very comfortable stopping power.

Here is a picture of the caliper mounting bracket used on the Wilwood kit.

Attachments

• brakes.jpg
    brakes.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 1,318
Keep us posted on how well the Strange brake kit install goes. I went with the wildwood brakes because I like the thicker vented rotor. I’ll bet that Strange brake kit is really light.

Aero space also makes a non vented light weight brake kit. A friend of mine put this kit on his car. The bracket which holds the caliper only has two mounting bolts as opposed to the Wilwood kit that has three fasteners holding the caliper braket in place. I drove his full weight GN to 9.70 @ 141 MPH and it had very comfortable stopping power.

Here is a picture of the caliper mounting bracket used on the Wilwood kit.
Sam.. car looks really good! The Strange are probably too light.. but I don't really drive the car at all ( put about 50 miles on it in 3 years:eek: ) and will see the track a few times a year. The frame is out right now being powdercoated and will install all the suspension.. I also have Trz tubular arms front drop spindle as well.

Keep up the good work! Im jealous!:)

I thought the aerospace brakes my friend put on his car were to light. Like I said the car stopped great even at 141 MPH.

These brake kits with the aluminum spindle hubs really drop some weight out. They work great on drag cars, but I don't think I would put them on a daily driver.

Souds like your car is going to be prety sweet:cool: . Please post up pictures of that strange brake kit when you get it installed.

I thought the aerospace brakes my friend put on his car were to light. Like I said the car stopped great even at 141 MPH.

These brake kits with the aluminum spindle hubs really drop some weight out. They work great on drag cars, but I don't think I would put them on a daily driver.

Souds like your car is going to be prety sweet:cool: . Please post up pictures of that strange brake kit when you get it installed.

Thank you.. I hope it all comes together soon.. I will post up pics of the front install when its all on.. take care.:)

2000-2002 Chevy / GMC 2 wheel drive Blazer front brakes will bolt on no cutting or fab. they are 11 inch rotors with dual piston calipers. I have them on my car and they work like a champ. You can get them ready to bolt on, spindle and all off Ebay for about $300

Jason

I put the Hotchkis (part# 515 1101) upper Tubular control arms on it. These control arms accept the larger GM ball joints.

Things needed:

Larger implala upper ball joints

The 77-94 GM B-body uses the same size of ball joints as the 78-88 G-bodies. If you want bigger ball joint studs and matching spindles than use the 95-96 B/D-body parts. All 77-96 B-bodys share the same brakes and front suspension parts. The 91 and newer stuff just has provisions for the ABS sensors.

Learned something new.

The 77-94 GM B-body uses the same size of ball joints as the 78-88 G-bodies. If you want bigger ball joint studs and matching spindles than use the 95-96 B/D-body parts. All 77-96 B-bodys share the same brakes and front suspension parts. The 91 and newer stuff just has provisions for the ABS sensors.

You are correct they do take the same ball joints, I always thought the Imapla had a larger upper ball joint. Could the Impala spindles and brakes be installed directly onto the G-Body, or do you need the aftermarket controls so the correct camber can be obtained?

. Could the Impala spindles and brakes be installed directly onto the G-Body, or do you need the aftermarket controls so the correct camber can be obtained?

They sure can. Thats how it was done before custom made control arms hit the scene. The only problem is that it creates a lot of negative camber. Moog makes offset shafts that help solve this problem but you might be in trouble if you like to race or autocross. Before the offset shafts people used to stack a ton of shims in there leaving no threads on the studs. I've even seen people put longer studs in there. You cant do that on the right side of a TR. The front stud already comes close to the DP.

I did the B Body brakes using global west upper control arms. They come with the offset shaft and in my case I really need a straight shaft. Tried them one way and had shims to the end of the threads and needed more, flipped them over and in most places have no shims and it is still a little too much. I checked lots of online parts stores and I can't find a straight shaft anywhere, only the offset ones. There are at least four choices for tubular upper control arms to go with the B Body spindles: Global West, Hotchkiss, Robert Adams, and now GBody Parts, for anywhere from $300 to $600 depending on brand and bushings. No cutting or fabbing required, just bolt it all together.

I just remember 1990 for all my transplant parts: F Body 1LE 12" rotors, B Body spindles, master cylinder, calipers, and pads, F Body V8 radiator (don't have it yet but one day), and Ford Crown Victoria for my rear 11" drum brakes.

Aerospace has two front kits and I went with the street kit. I have the 10 3/4 fronts and for $700 and no spindle swap I can't see how they can be beat.

I have had them for at least 5 years now with no problems. I have a write up on T6P in the library.

how would you compare your aerospace 10 3/4 disc brakes to the gn stock front discs and calipers

Aerospace has two front kits and I went with the street kit. I have the 10 3/4 fronts and for $700 and no spindle swap I can't see how they can be beat.

I have had them for at least 5 years now with no problems. I have a write up on T6P in the library.
Aerospace does have nice products.. the best deal for the money is on the Aerospace..:smile:

blazer disc upgrade

can anybody point me in the direction of the blazer disc brake upgrade on ebay?thanks, jim

Back